optional 1500 w inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: none
optional 1500 w inverter

i've read that the 1500 w inverter eti uses, the samlex ssw-1500-12a, has fans that come on at very low wattage, and the fans are "noisy".

does anyone have experience with this inverter, and how "noisy" it is?
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We have this inverter in our 19. The fan does come on but is not noisy perhaps partly because it is located under the drivers side dinette bench seat. You can have a conversation over the fan noise without shouting.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
Do you have the inverter powering one outlet? Or all the outlets? We are putting together our build sheet and considering the all outlet inverter option.....

Thanks
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

We have one outlet that is located underneath the counter extension at the sink. The standard 120v outlet is next to the inverter outlet in the same box with the inverter outlet labeled. We use it for a coffee bean grinder, small coffee maker, charging phone/computer and small portable vacuum. The location works well. If I was to do it again I would also add another outlet at the dinette. We do not use electronics at our bed so we would not use it there, perhaps though this could be a third location for some folks. We try to keep the use of the inverter to a minimum as most times we are boon docking and have the solar to top our 2 x 6v batteries up.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
We have this inverter in our 19. The fan does come on but is not noisy perhaps partly because it is located under the drivers side dinette bench seat. You can have a conversation over the fan noise without shouting.
Thanks. I imagine you are saying you can sit in the front dinette, and have a conversation with being bothered?

Just trying to get an idea of how "noisy" it will be in the kitchen, or in the rear bed (or dinette) area. Wondering if another 5-10' away from front dinette will make any difference. But it seems like it doesn't bother you anyway.

I'm probably just being too nit-picky.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Correct, you can stand at the dinette and have a conversation and not be bothered. Our fan in our gas fireplace in our house makes a louder noise than the inverter fan. Barely hear the fan in the rear bed.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Do you have the inverter powering one outlet? Or all the outlets? We are putting together our build sheet and considering the all outlet inverter option.....

Thanks
Don, if you are considering the "all outlet" option, it may be wise to invest in the transfer switch as well. This way it won't matter if you are plugged into the grid or drawing from the batteries (through the inverter) you will always have power at the a/c outlets (as in your house).

Hope this helps...
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Correct, you can stand at the dinette and have a conversation and not be bothered. Our fan in our gas fireplace in our house makes a louder noise than the inverter fan. Barely hear the fan in the rear bed.
Very good, that helps me out a lot. Makes me feel like the fan noise won't really be a terrible problem for me. Good reference re: gas fireplace. A gas fireplace is the main heat source in our house, so I am quite used to fan noise from the fireplace.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Don, if you are considering the "all outlet" option, it may be wise to invest in the transfer switch as well. This way it won't matter if you are plugged into the grid or drawing from the batteries (through the inverter) you will always have power at the a/c outlets (as in your house).

Hope this helps...
Larry
I think the "all outlet" option for $300 (on 19') includes an automatic transfer switch. The Carmanah Go Power TS-30.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the winter time here at home, the furnace fan is running, the clothes dryer is humming, the TV is blaring and I can still fall asleep in my bark-o-lounger here in the family room. White noise is MUCH preferred over the neighbors barking dog anytime. Besides, I have ringing in my ears Doubtful an inverter fan will bother me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargofool View Post
I think the "all outlet" option for $300 (on 19') includes an automatic transfer switch. The Carmanah Go Power TS-30.
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the 1500w inverter alone is $480. The transfer switch is an additional $270... Grand Total: $750...

This includes all outlets...

Larry
Old 03-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the 1500w inverter alone is $480. The transfer switch is an additional $270... Grand Total: $750...

Larry
Yeah, $750... one of the items on the build sheet I'm struggling with...
Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:

Larry
Getting my info from the ETI website:

Inverter 1500W Includes 1 outlet $480.00

(Transfer Switch available Includes all outlets additional $300.00)

Where else would I get this info from?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Pricing is going up, just like the economy... coffee? Week to week is rising at my local store. This is from MY build sheet for MY build date YOUR Build sheet... YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, $750... one of the items on the build sheet I'm struggling with...
Actually Donna it's your comments that we have been paying a good deal of attention to because of your camping and trailer experience. So I'm not sure this will be of help to you or not, but here goes.

Like you, we struggled with this one a bit because it is a whack of money. However, without an inverter, a/c is only good when one has grid. We do use a microwave quite a bit, yes even to "nuke" cold coffee... and maybe warm up a bit of brandy, left overs, etc. But all said, this is really a "nice to have" feature.. not an essential like many others have stated. We're not sure that we will be trailering five years from now, so it might have some resale value. Not necessarily to recoup our investment, but maybe to move the trailer faster.

However, after talking to a good number of boat and trailer owners, without exception their recommendation was... if one is going to install an inverter... don't skimp. Go big! In our case... 1500w... because, for example, some appliances may be rated as 900w, but really run over 1kw. Not good! Then if one has gone this far... go all the way and include the transfer switch which automatically controls the a/c source (grid or inverter) to all outlets (include the microwave plug in this arrangement). No need to split plugs and then having to remember "who's on first"!

Hope this pays back a bit of the very useful info we got from your posts.

Larry
Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargofool View Post
Getting my info from the ETI website:

Inverter 1500W Includes 1 outlet $480.00

(Transfer Switch available Includes all outlets additional $300.00)

Where else would I get this info from?
Whoops, thanks cargofool... I can see we have already gained $30 in resale value

Larry
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the issue with some appliances is that they are rated at say 900W but require 1200W on start-up.
I had a 25W rated one-cup coffee maker from Starbucks and tried to run it on the 100W inverter plugged into the company car cigarette lighter. I ran it though one cycle to clean it and then ran it again to make coffee.
The plug melted.
Got the coffee maker on sale, but it was no deal. Threw it out and the inverter.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #18
Site Team

Larry, thanks for the info and yes it does help. I'm looking to the future and how my camping style is going to change. If I wasn't looking to change, I'd keep my Scamp... it's a great trailer and fits my CURRENT ways of camping.

I do know, appliances wear out and stuff needs to be changed. I just don't want to run wire and change plugs, etc. because of an upgrade later. I'd rather ETI place those items during the build. It's not like we have walls to fish wire through.

Plotting and planning....
Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the winter time here at home, the furnace fan is running, the clothes dryer is humming, the TV is blaring and I can still fall asleep in my bark-o-lounger here in the family room. White noise is MUCH preferred over the neighbors barking dog anytime. Besides, I have ringing in my ears Doubtful an inverter fan will bother me. YMMV
I am very much like this around home. I can nap anywhere, anytime, just about. When I go camping, this changes for some reason. Maybe it is that it is generally much more quiet and serene, and non natural noises seem to disturb me more. Or, maybe it is just noises I am not accustomed too as much. I am just barely getting used to the furnace fan.

Or, maybe it is just my high weirdness factor.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think the issue with some appliances is that they are rated at say 900W but require 1200W on start-up.
That should only be appliances with a motor - and even then, check the maximum current for that peak, in case the power rating is the continuous number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I had a 25W rated one-cup coffee maker from Starbucks ...
I would surprised if any coffee maker could operate acceptably on 25 watts. To heat one cup (8 oz, 240 mL) of water from room temperature (20°C or 68°F) to brewing temperature (90°C or 195°F) would take 70 kJ or 47 minutes with a perfectly efficient 25 watt heater. Something's wrong with the specs here - maybe it was 250 watts?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote