optional 1500 w inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: none
optional 1500 w inverter

i've read that the 1500 w inverter eti uses, the samlex ssw-1500-12a, has fans that come on at very low wattage, and the fans are "noisy".

does anyone have experience with this inverter, and how "noisy" it is?

cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have this inverter in our 19. The fan does come on but is not noisy perhaps partly because it is located under the drivers side dinette bench seat. You can have a conversation over the fan noise without shouting.

gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21'
Do you have the inverter powering one outlet? Or all the outlets? We are putting together our build sheet and considering the all outlet inverter option.....

Thanks
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

We have one outlet that is located underneath the counter extension at the sink. The standard 120v outlet is next to the inverter outlet in the same box with the inverter outlet labeled. We use it for a coffee bean grinder, small coffee maker, charging phone/computer and small portable vacuum. The location works well. If I was to do it again I would also add another outlet at the dinette. We do not use electronics at our bed so we would not use it there, perhaps though this could be a third location for some folks. We try to keep the use of the inverter to a minimum as most times we are boon docking and have the solar to top our 2 x 6v batteries up.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
We have this inverter in our 19. The fan does come on but is not noisy perhaps partly because it is located under the drivers side dinette bench seat. You can have a conversation over the fan noise without shouting.
Thanks. I imagine you are saying you can sit in the front dinette, and have a conversation with being bothered?

Just trying to get an idea of how "noisy" it will be in the kitchen, or in the rear bed (or dinette) area. Wondering if another 5-10' away from front dinette will make any difference. But it seems like it doesn't bother you anyway.

I'm probably just being too nit-picky.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Correct, you can stand at the dinette and have a conversation and not be bothered. Our fan in our gas fireplace in our house makes a louder noise than the inverter fan. Barely hear the fan in the rear bed.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Do you have the inverter powering one outlet? Or all the outlets? We are putting together our build sheet and considering the all outlet inverter option.....

Thanks
Don, if you are considering the "all outlet" option, it may be wise to invest in the transfer switch as well. This way it won't matter if you are plugged into the grid or drawing from the batteries (through the inverter) you will always have power at the a/c outlets (as in your house).

Hope this helps...
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Correct, you can stand at the dinette and have a conversation and not be bothered. Our fan in our gas fireplace in our house makes a louder noise than the inverter fan. Barely hear the fan in the rear bed.
Very good, that helps me out a lot. Makes me feel like the fan noise won't really be a terrible problem for me. Good reference re: gas fireplace. A gas fireplace is the main heat source in our house, so I am quite used to fan noise from the fireplace.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Don, if you are considering the "all outlet" option, it may be wise to invest in the transfer switch as well. This way it won't matter if you are plugged into the grid or drawing from the batteries (through the inverter) you will always have power at the a/c outlets (as in your house).

Hope this helps...
Larry
I think the "all outlet" option for $300 (on 19') includes an automatic transfer switch. The Carmanah Go Power TS-30.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the winter time here at home, the furnace fan is running, the clothes dryer is humming, the TV is blaring and I can still fall asleep in my bark-o-lounger here in the family room. White noise is MUCH preferred over the neighbors barking dog anytime. Besides, I have ringing in my ears Doubtful an inverter fan will bother me. YMMV

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote