Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #91

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello all...

I have spent the weekend looking for a reasonable solution to the solar situation at hand...and unfortunately, the only real fail-safe method is to bolt the panel through the roof. Our track record with the epoxy bond has been successful with 3 (to my knowledge) panels coming off out of approximately 450+ installations. Prior to epoxy, we used 3M VHB tape to bond the panels on and I only know of 1 (to my knowledge) of those installs failing out of about 60 installs. Having said that, I would like to get to zero failures without drilling holes in the roof, however I don't think that will happen. Moving forward...

As of today, we have redesigned the installation to a bolt on system, and we are working on a kit that we can send out to existing owners as a back-up to the epoxy install. We will be contacting owners for mailing confirmation soon.

I will post some photos of both systems in the next day or two.

Just a note...if you have adjusted your solar panel after production, I would definitely add some bolts before you hit the road. Any panel we installed that was asked to be raised higher than our standard was installed with bolts.

Reace

reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape
"we are working on a kit that we can send out to existing owners as a back-up to the epoxy install. We will be contacting owners for mailing confirmation soon".
Thank you Reace. I appreciate your continuing good service. Now about the 4.3 refer ?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all...

I have spent the weekend looking for a reasonable solution to the solar situation at hand...and unfortunately, the only real fail-safe method is to bolt the panel through the roof. Our track record with the epoxy bond has been successful with 3 (to my knowledge) panels coming off out of approximately 450+ installations. Prior to epoxy, we used 3M VHB tape to bond the panels on and I only know of 1 (to my knowledge) of those installs failing out of about 60 installs. Having said that, I would like to get to zero failures without drilling holes in the roof, however I don't think that will happen. Moving forward...

As of today, we have redesigned the installation to a bolt on system, and we are working on a kit that we can send out to existing owners as a back-up to the epoxy install. We will be contacting owners for mailing confirmation soon.

I will post some photos of both systems in the next day or two.

Just a note...if you have adjusted your solar panel after production, I would definitely add some bolts before you hit the road. Any panel we installed that was asked to be raised higher than our standard was installed with bolts.

Reace
Very good to know that all new trailers will have the bolt installations.
thanks reace for your quick decision and good judgement. I will feel better driving down hwy now.
ken
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #94

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I just talked to Crystal at ETI and then logged on here and there it was. Reace jumped on this right away and from now on, all panels will be bolted to the trailer. As for holes in the roof, with the caulking available today it is a non issue for me. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #95

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
While the bolted on solution is more failsafe, we may not have the skill nor the time to apply tbe change immediately. I wonder if it is possible to do a simple inspection before each trip to minimize the risk? What's the odd of the panel to come off if it doesn't already show sign of detachment ?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21, 2014 Four Wheel Campers Grandby
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all...

I have spent the weekend looking for a reasonable solution to the solar situation at hand...and unfortunately, the only real fail-safe method is to bolt the panel through the roof.

Reace
Reace, just wondering if you have considered a fiberglass fairing around the epoxy attached solar panel ? I think as long as the fairing is in place the panel should not have any unusual forces on it, and it would look better.
NJ Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #97

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Thanks Reace! We'll look forward to trying out the new mountung system. Appreciate that this was something you felt you had to work on and address. We're glad we have an Escape..
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #98

Trailer: 17B 2017
Excellent solution, thanks. The potential children riding in the vehicle behind deserve it.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #99

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Joe View Post
Reace, just wondering if you have considered a fiberglass fairing around the epoxy attached solar panel ? I think as long as the fairing is in place the panel should not have any unusual forces on it, and it would look better.
I also asked about the use of fairings in post 46 of this same thread.
Another thing that hasn't been addressed, in regard to solar panels blowing off, is tow speed. How fast should one (safely) tow a fully loaded Escape Trailer. Would speed have a bearing on this particular problem? It might.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #100

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I also asked about the use of fairings in post 46 of this same thread.
Another thing that hasn't been addressed, in regard to solar panels blowing off, is tow speed. How fast should one (safely) tow a fully loaded Escape Trailer. Would speed have a bearing on this particular problem? It might.
JMac could be . But you have the unpredictable wind conditions going down the road . If the wind is blowing right doesn't matter how slow you are going I would think . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote