Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #221

Trailer: 2014 19'
Here is my mount. Full 1x4 PVC sticks held together and mounted to the fiberglass with 24 hour 5200. Then screw panels ... Or whatever, to the frame.

I screwed the sticks together from the bottom and weighted it down with my favorite concrete blocks for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #222
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Here is my mount. Full 1x4 PVC sticks held together and mounted to the fiberglass with 24 hour 5200. Then screw panels ... Or whatever, to the frame.

I screwed the sticks together from the bottom and weighted it down with my favorite concrete blocks for a few days.
Might think about an air diverter in the front; that's what the ETI square tubing fix is, apparently to reduce the wind getting under the panels.

So far these have stayed on fine with 3M RP45 tape:
Attached Thumbnails
air2.jpg   air4.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #223

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Absolutely correct. Bottom line, don't mess with epoxy on anything important unless you have the experience to do so. I've epoxy coated a 5,000 lb. keel and run the flange onto the f.g. Very difficult, high stress, salt water environment without any problems but again, preparation and experience.

Quite frankly, the first time I heard that ETI was using VHB tape to put panels on the roof I was aghast Epoxy can work but again there are several things that have to be done correctly. Personally, the only way I'd put solar panels on my roof would be to bolt them on.

Since I don't like bolts through the roof that's why my panel is mounted over the tongue box.

Ron
Thanks Ron for not giving me flap . I do have a folding panel 80 watt from Go pro and a little 1000watt Honda generator so it's not like I have nothing to boon dock . Where can I see your panel mount ? Very interested . That being said I only have worked with fiberglass a couple of times . I glassed in a new bottom in my camper I bought used with cloth . It had a crack in shower . I had it 12 years and it still was holding up . Also supported the shower pan bottom better . Also use to make fish tanks they were wooden with glass port hole on the sides and front glass of course .The fiberglass was inside tank with colors using boat resin . Sold a lot of them . They were very nautical looking , like treasure chests . I really don't want any more holes on my roof either so I think I am going to pass . I am worried too the stress maybe with the air going under those panels pulling and maybe cracking the fiberglass . Don't know if that is valid but I had that concern . Well good having this conversation with you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

Very clean installation Klem . Pat
Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Might think about an air diverter in the front; that's what the ETI square tubing fix is, apparently to reduce the wind getting under the panels.

It would be nice if they could be set to 'scrub' the panels when it rains?

From my experience the platform is overbuilt, unless the fiberglass is so thin it fails.... I have over 160 sq in. of contact area on the fiberglass bedded in 5200. And the flat plate equivalent of the panels is minimal in comparison.

The wild card is the strength of the fiberglass itself. Your diverters are a great add on that may also help clean the panels?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #226

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Klem; ah, 5200 I've had the pleasure of removing an anchor winch from a deck that had 5200 used as a sealant. How do you spell "hammer and chisel" I like your solution because it avoids one the the things I don't like about through bolting. I've found, on boats in cold weather, condensation would form on the interior ends of the bolts and drip. Your PVC isolates the attachment screws and avoids any condensation issues.

Pat; If I didn't want a swiveling, tilting solar panel I would have done much the same as Klem. I would have screwed a polymer block to the roof and attached the panel to it to avoid any through bolting.

This is my set-up. It's not for everyone but I've been used to being able to obtain maximum output from my panels on boats so I went this route. Panel travels in the down position and charges while driving, it can be raised to give 360* tracking no matter which way the trailer is facing and it can be lifted off and placed remotely if the trailer is in the shade.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
26-12-2014 4-45-28 PM1_resize.jpg   26-12-2014 4-45-29 PM4_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Klem; ah, 5200 I've had the pleasure of removing an anchor winch from a deck that had 5200 used as a sealant. How do you spell "hammer and chisel" I like your solution because it avoids one the the things I don't like about through bolting. I've found, on boats in cold weather, condensation would form on the interior ends of the bolts and drip. Your PVC isolates the attachment screws and avoids any condensation issues.

Pat; If I didn't want a swiveling, tilting solar panel I would have done much the same as Klem. I would have screwed a polymer block to the roof and attached the panel to it to avoid any through bolting.

This is my set-up. It's not for everyone but I've been used to being able to obtain maximum output from my panels on boats so I went this route. Panel travels in the down position and charges while driving, it can be raised to give 360* tracking no matter which way the trailer is facing and it can be lifted off and placed remotely if the trailer is in the shade.

Ron
Thanks Ron . I am going to bookmark your installation . Kind of like ! Pat
Old 07-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #228

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I think some short work shops at our rally's might be a good idea ....... how to fiberglass, how to manage epoxy, caulking to use and to avoid (never use 5200 for anything), electrical system tune ups, how to find the best campgrounds ..... etc. Etc..

Just thinking out loud ....
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #229

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Can you describe the ETI square tubing fix. I am aware of the add on brackets and cable tethers, but I have not seen any reference to reducing the wind getting under the panels.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #230

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ron, what happens with the 2 propane tanks?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Ron, what happens with the 2 propane tanks?
That was a still under construction photo. Here's the finished version. It probably really didn't require the two diagonal braces because it can't rotate because of a pin through the tube. But lots of forces at play at highway speeds so I added the braces just to prevent it from wacking the trailer if the pin failed.

You can also see the souvenir from the Alaska Hwy., the dent in the lower corner of the tongue box .

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-07-2015 11-10-51 AM_0001_resize.JPG  
Old 07-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #232
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Can you describe the ETI square tubing fix. I am aware of the add on brackets and cable tethers, but I have not seen any reference to reducing the wind getting under the panels.
The square tubing is a fix for the 21 - not the same strategy for the 19. Don't know how/where that panel is mounted or why they chose the cable tie down.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #233
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The square tubing is a fix for the 21 - not the same strategy for the 19. Don't know how/where that panel is mounted or why they chose the cable tie down.
Charlie, the cable tie down method is for solar panels mounted in the middle of the roof, and they used to locate the panel there on the 19. On my 19, the solar panel is in the same location as yours - the rear - and the fix is the same - using the brackets.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #234

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We installed the fix kit on our rear panel yesterday. It was relatively easy, although we now have a button-tufted ceiling over our dining area.

In our case, the epoxy stayed safely bonded to the fiberglass. It separated cleanly from the aluminum square tubing instead. The failure in our case seemed to be a warped panel. one corner naturally sat a half inch above the roof and required a good five pounds of pressure to push it down. We readjusted the support bolts before installing the fix kit.

Now we're waiting for the cable kit for the forward panel, which has not failed so far.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #235

[QUOTE=shrncnddck;102463]We installed the fix kit on our rear panel yesterday. It was relatively easy, although we now have a button-tufted ceiling over our dining area.

In our case, the epoxy stayed safely bonded to the fiberglass. It separated cleanly from the aluminum square tubing instead. The failure in our case seemed to be a warped panel. one corner naturally sat a half inch above the roof and required a good five pounds of pressure to push it down. We readjusted the support bolts before installing the fix kit.

Now we're waiting for the cable kit for the forward panel, which has not failed so far.[/QUOT

So. You drilled through the fiber glass and the foam vinyl ceiling.
Did you just tighten the nut so it was flush with the end of the screw ? If so, did you have trouble using a socket on the small amount of the nut that is exposed below the cap retainer ? This is a small backing washer that is not tightened up snug against the fiberglass but against the vinyl ? The instructions are rather vague but you prevailed !
Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Charlie, the cable tie down method is for solar panels mounted in the middle of the roof, and they used to locate the panel there on the 19. On my 19, the solar panel is in the same location as yours - the rear - and the fix is the same - using the brackets.
The cable tie down kit is one of two choices that owners have for 95W solar panels. Bracket kit or cable tie down kit. If the epoxy bond fails, the cables retain the panel on the roof and brackets will the need to be installed.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #237

[QUOTE=Jubal;102482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
So. You drilled through the fiber glass and the foam vinyl ceiling.
Did you just tighten the nut so it was flush with the end of the screw ? If so, did you have trouble using a socket on the small amount of the nut that is exposed below the cap retainer ? This is a small backing washer that is not tightened up snug against the fiberglass but against the vinyl ? The instructions are rather vague but you prevailed !
How about posting a photo of the kit. Just curious to see what it looks like.

Ron
Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #238

I'm not sure of the answer to this question:

IF the epoxied mount starts to come loose will the bolted mount create more damage by cracking the fiberglass if the washer on the inside pulls through?

At 1/8" +/- fiberglass the inner washer may be 'floating' on the foam/reflectix and dig in an edge if 'wiggled' by the hold down above?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #239

Trailer: none
We are now wondering if we should think about putting the replacement solar panel that ETI sent us on the BACK part of the roof, rather than back in the original location, between the A/C and Maxx Fan. It appears to us that, if we put it back where it was originally located, the bolts would come through in the bathroom ceiling. And it looks to us like there is space between the bathroom ceiling and the top of the trailer.
We only have one 95W panel.

We would love to hear more from Classic 5.0 folks who are doing this!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #240

Other trailer manufacturer uses 1/4 in thick aluminum backing plates . Pat