Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Solar panel. I have, in my life been in situations where fear was a valid emotion at the time. However fearing breakdowns, blowouts, dislocated solar panels, speeding tickets and other day to day eventualities, has never been a cause for fear. You're only gonna live so long, respect the weather and the physics at hand, develop your plan and put the hammer down. It's worked for me for going on 7 decades and I'm not changing now. ETI has consistently shown me that they have a great corporate moral compass, I'll ride with them any where any day.
Dave
I think getting a speeding ticket and a dislocated solar panel in the same sentence are not really something you can compare . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #122

Trailer: Escape
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Patandlinda;97189]I think getting a speeding ticket and a dislocated solar panel in the same sentence are not really something you can compare . Pat[/QUOTE

Old 06-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #123

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I think getting a speeding ticket and a dislocated solar panel in the same sentence are not really something you can compare . Pat
I agree. I'd much rather have a speeding ticket then being responsible for the damage a panel flying off could cause. At highway speeds it could easily become a multiple vehicle accident. Not to mention the damage to our trailer.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #124

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Solar panel. I have, in my life been in situations where fear was a valid emotion at the time. However fearing breakdowns, blowouts, dislocated solar panels, speeding tickets and other day to day eventualities, has never been a cause for fear. You're only gonna live so long, respect the weather and the physics at hand, develop your plan and put the hammer down. It's worked for me for going on 7 decades and I'm not changing now. ETI has consistently shown me that they have a great corporate moral compass, I'll ride with them any where any day.
Dave
So while I agree with you in general, remember businesses are not static. ETI is growing and with growth comes risk; one of the more significant ones involves personnel and their performance. As a former employer I know that is one of the most critical components for consistency. I hope ETI continues to grow and solidify their reputation, but no one can take it for granted. They, like any business have their challenges, and blind faith in anything is in itself risky.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #125

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
So while I agree with you in general, remember businesses are not static. ETI is growing and with growth comes risk; one of the more significant ones involves personnel and their performance. As a former employer I know that is one of the most critical components for consistency. I hope ETI continues to grow and solidify their reputation, but no one can take it for granted. They, like any business have their challenges, and blind faith in anything is in itself risky.
A very true statement. I posted pics of my latest mod and discovered someone at Escape had cut the bracing on the bottom , and painted the ends of the wood at my seat where the door is . . It's ok because I had reinforced everything especially adding the platform so it isn't a problem for me . It made it easier for the slide but I just because of this mod discovered this . So someone needs to be doing some more overseeing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
L brackets could be fiberglassed in the correct location then jell coated kinda like the wood is fiberglassed for the cabinet connection. I'm a big fan of limiting the holes drilled through the shell, especially in the roof.
I am too for limiting the holes in My roof, I have Double Insulation all around the interior, and I don't know how the bolts are going to affect.
Most of My camping is in Fall-Winter, it rains a lot and I feel safe in My trailer as it is now, more holes make Me uneasy, I think that two more transversal bars glued to the trailer and bolted to the solar panel will reinforce and eliminate the risk of detachment and water going inside the trailer.
gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #127

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA (Completion Date: August 2017)
This may be way off base but I thought I would mention it for discussion. I am not and expert and am not recommending it in any way.

What about running a thick bead of 3M 5200 around the two aluminum tubes to provide an additional bond that is flexible. The epoxy would provide a very rigid bond and the 3M 5200 would remain somewhat flexible. The 3M 5200 may be able to handle the stresses of flexing and vibration if the original epoxy bond is somehow compromised. This might be way off base but 3M has a nasty reputation for adhesion and many won't use it because it is TOO permanent. I have used it on fiberglass boats and it is incredible stuff. A local boat guy even told me of a large outboard (several hundred pounds) they had trouble removing after being unbolted from the transom - 3M 5200 had been used when the motor was mounted and the 3M 5200 bond was strong enough to support the entire weight if the motor without any bolts.

Again, this may be way off base and through-bolting may be the only real fix.

Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #128

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I like the idea. Epoxy is somewhat brittle and the 3M 5200 is not.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #129

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I've used 3M5200 in a number of places as a substitute for welding parts together on my fishing boat. Incredible stuff. But - it takes a full 7 days to cure - although a bit faster in humid or wet conditions. Don't count on being able to remove it without prying, cutting or heating. (None of which I would attempt on my shiny new Escape.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #130
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Funny comment that 3M has a nasty reputation for adhesion! That's why I buy their products, but then again I read the 3M specification sheets on their website and speak with their application engineers/sales people before I buy their stuff ..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote