Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #281

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The screw anchors are also called jack nuts and would provide backing on the inside of the 3/16" fiberglass roof. They are avaliable for different material thickness.
Also called nutserts or threaded inserts. When installed properly they are very strong. I used them once to hold a marine head onto 1/8" f.g. Consider the forces at play when some one flops down on it. No problems.

The only problem that I can see is drilling the hole from the outside. You can use a collar to prevent the drill from going through the vinyl but all the drilling debris would need to be cleaned out etc. otherwise you might end up with an unsightly bump.

My view would be; if you're going to drill a hole through the roof you might as well then use a through bolt.

Drilling f.g.; honestly, I don't know why there's so much discussion about drilling f.g. I've drilled countless thousands of holes in f.g. over the last 40 years and I don't even think about it as being different than drilling a hole in wood or most metals. Aside from making sure it's in the correct location

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #282

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Also called nutserts or threaded inserts. When installed properly they are very strong. I used them once to hold a marine head onto 1/8" f.g. Consider the forces at play when some one flops down on it. No problems.

The only problem that I can see is drilling the hole from the outside. You can use a collar to prevent the drill from going through the vinyl but all the drilling debris would need to be cleaned out etc. otherwise you might end up with an unsightly bump.

My view would be; if you're going to drill a hole through the roof you might as well then use a through bolt.

Drilling f.g.; honestly, I don't know why there's so much discussion about drilling f.g. I've drilled countless thousands of holes in f.g. over the last 40 years and I don't even think about it as being different than drilling a hole in wood or most metals. Aside from making sure it's in the correct location

Ron
Ron are you in a bad mood ? The problem is not drilling a hole in the fiberglass anyone should be able to do that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #283

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I'm going to take a pass on this question. I just searched drilling holes in fiberglass and there are as many opinions as people... How about running your drill backward? Lot's of controversy there too.

I wish you all the best in your hole drilling ... I didn't drill any yet!
No, I'm in a great mood, fantastic sailing today. Just offering my opinion that drilling f.g. seems to intimidate some folks. Probably a form of analysis paralysis based on a fear of drilling into their shiny new trailer but once you're past that, go for it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No, I'm in a great mood, fantastic sailing today. Just offering my opinion that drilling f.g. seems to intimidate some folks. Probably a form of analysis paralysis based on a fear of drilling into their shiny new trailer but once you're past that, go for it.

Ron
Ron it is not the fear of drilling into the fiberglass . It is the fear of what happens to the fiberglass later . I give up . Pat
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #285

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I'm not sure of the answer to this question:

IF the epoxied mount starts to come loose will the bolted mount create more damage by cracking the fiberglass if the washer on the inside pulls through?

At 1/8" +/- fiberglass the inner washer may be 'floating' on the foam/reflectix and dig in an edge if 'wiggled' by the hold down above?
My original cracking question was - would the 8 new 1/8" holes result in more damage from cracks (like ripping fiberglass cracks) if the original panel mounts worked loose.

Somehow the responses became centered on single hole drilling not the big picture?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #286

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron it is not the fear of drilling into the fiberglass . It is the fear of what happens to the fiberglass later . I give up . Pat
There's a lot of holes in as Escape trailer already that nobody seems too concerned about.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #287

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
There's a lot of holes in as Escape trailer already that nobody seems too concerned about.
The potential stress placed on these several pairs of closely spaced holes, without any internal bracing is I THINK different from the other holes in the trailer. Thus the concern....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #288

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
The potential stress placed on these several pairs of closely spaced holes, without any internal bracing is I THINK different from the other holes in the trailer. Thus the concern....
Yes, this is the concern. For our 19 with two 95W solar panels it would be sixteen holes and buttons dimpling the ceiling. I might just solely rely on my earlier panel mount fix (post 247) while I was waiting too see what the mounting hardware was like for the 95 W panels on the escape 19. The promised instructional video was never posted.
I really like the panel mounting system that Klem designed. 3M 5200 is messy to clean up so use masking tape and just leave the adhesive that is squeezed out during the mounting process.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #289

Quote:
The point is the a/c has a large backing plate in the build right up to the fiberglass covered later with vinyl etc. the fan is also preplanned in build . You are now talking about adding bolts that were never added in original build for panels that are not going to be up on underneath fiberglass unless you cut up your ceiling vinyl anfd get good backing . Not the same . The a/c and fan and other protrusions do not have a air space underneath like the solar panels . Pat
Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #290

many of these trailers have front windows that take the full impact of the tows miles per hour with out cracking the fiber glass. The awnings, although bolted into glassed-in blocks during the build, don't seem to produce cracks, likewise the bathroom vent, sewer vent and side windows. If the airspace under the solar panel is suspected as a contributor then install a fairing. With all the modifications done on these trailers I fail to see how an attractive, yet safe solution cant be made.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #291

Quote:
many of these trailers have front windows that take the full impact of the tows miles per hour with out cracking the fiber glass. The awnings, although bolted into glassed-in blocks during the build, don't seem to produce cracks, likewise the bathroom vent, sewer vent and side windows. If the airspace under the solar panel is suspected as a contributor then install a fairing. With all the modifications done on these trailers I fail to see how an attractive, yet safe solution cant be made.
I would say yes if it was engineered and tested before being put into use . Pat
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I would say yes if it was engineered and tested before being put into use . Pat
if your referring to a fairing, I think one of the members has already done a test on that.
If your referring to an attractive, interior and exterior solution to screw mounting a solar panel onto a fiberglass trailer I believe thats also been handled by a member. 5200 glue mount a backing plate to the roof, then screw mount to the backing plate.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #293

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
I agree those are all good examples of what appears to be properly mounted components. Has anyone reported any of your examples that have flown off the trailer and damaged the structure?

In this case 5? panels have come loose which points to a problem. The solutions appear to try to contain the panels so they don't fly off and cause accidents/injuries but doesn't appear to stop the damage to the trailer resulting from the mounts separating from the fiberglass?

I believe the failures of the mount result a number of factors which result in the bond and/or fiberglass failing. If you ask me which is #1 I'd say vibration from wind buffeting, trailer body flexing, temperature changes, etc. The existing mounting rails are simply too narrow and stiff ... that's why I chose a wider more flexible mount.

Time will tell, the variable is the thickness and layup of the fiberglass shell. I have seen solar panel mounts punch through fiberglass 'down' and rip off 'up' .... and we always sandwiched inside/outside support and stiffeners. I have attempted to mount mine considering only one side of fiberglass and trusting my intuition. I am trusting the shell and 160+ square inches of slightly flexible bonding area.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #294

Excluding VHB tape installations.
From the pictures that I have seen, the failure of the solar panel mounting has been a result of a poor epoxy bond to the aluminum box channel. One side fails and the other side is stressed resulting in delamination. The failures are limited to factory installed 95 W panels installed through early 2014 on escape 19 trailers.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #295

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
The failures are limited to factory installed 95 W panels installed through early 2014 on escape 19 trailers.
And the OP's 2008 5.0 SA.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #296

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
And the OP's 2008 5.0 SA.
Clarification: Although our trailer is a 2008, the solar panels were installed in the summer of 2013.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #297

OOOPS, thank you Bob and Dave. Time for another tall boy. I intended to say thru early 2014.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #298

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I just received my kit. It is different from what was described before. And I have two problems with it. My brackets include one hole to go through the roof with a 1/4"-20 by 2" screw with a 1-1/4" fender washer to be put inside in the side closets. First problem: the screws should have been 1" as there wasn't enough thread length to secure them. I learned this from Rae who told me she ordered the wrong length screws. I also noted that the top hole to be put into the side of the solar panel was only 1/2" from the top of the panel and I wasn't comfortable that I wouldn't hit the solar panel itself when I screwed through the side frame. Rae checked with Reace who asked that I drill holes in the brackets so that the screws would be centered on the side panel rather than so close to the top. I have to drill them offset from the center of the bracket so that I have some metal between the holes. Since this is a backup to the original epoxy mounting, I am not too worried about the extra hole that is now offset from where it should be.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0378.jpg  
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I just received my kit. It is different from what was described before. And I have two problems with it. My brackets include one hole to go through the roof with a 1/4"-20 by 2" screw with a 1-1/4" fender washer to be put inside in the side closets. First problem: the screws should have been 1" as there wasn't enough thread length to secure them. I learned this from Rae who told me she ordered the wrong length screws. I also noted that the top hole to be put into the side of the solar panel was only 1/2" from the top of the panel and I wasn't comfortable that I wouldn't hit the solar panel itself when I screwed through the side frame. Rae checked with Reace who asked that I drill holes in the brackets so that the screws would be centered on the side panel rather than so close to the top. I have to drill them offset from the center of the bracket so that I have some metal between the holes. Since this is a backup to the original epoxy mounting, I am not too worried about the extra hole that is now offset from where it should be.
Is this the hardware bracket kit for the 150/160 W solar panel ?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #300

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Is this the hardware bracket kit for the 150/160 W solar panel ?
Yes, we have a 150 watt panel.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote