Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #161

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Thanks Reace! We'll look forward to trying out the new mountung system. Appreciate that this was something you felt you had to work on and address. We're glad we have an Escape..
Please share you experience of remounting the solar panel. Including the gel coat repair and the installation of the panel mounting system.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #162
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Anyone know if there is a rear crossbar included in the kit? Looks like the one in the front serves as an air dam to keep wind from getting under the solar panel. Mounted a bit forward as air needs to circulate under the panel to cool the cells. I'm truly tempted to form an "L" shaped air/deflector wing out of ABS plastic (but at 120 degree angle instead of the 90) and VHB tape it in roughly the same place before I drill holes in the roof.

Basically like the big ones you see now and then on top of semi trucks to deflect air up and over the trailer.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #163

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
That sounds like a good idea Charlie. If your mounts are solid there may be no need to do anything else. I checked mine and they're like a rock. I note with interest that the ones that failed are 2012-2013, not 2015. That could be a case of deterioration with age, but it could also be a bad formulation or application of epoxy during that time frame. I'm going to "wait and see".
Old 06-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #164

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Please share you experience of remounting the solar panel. Including the gel coat repair and the installation of the panel mounting system.

Will do - but it might take a while...given a couple of trips already scheduled and the need to find a gelcoat/fiberglass person to do the repair AND figure out if we need to try and remove the epoxy that is still up there. We'll know better once we receive the kit, etc.
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #165

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Anyone know if there is a rear crossbar included in the kit? Looks like the one in the front serves as an air dam to keep wind from getting under the solar panel. Mounted a bit forward as air needs to circulate under the panel to cool the cells. I'm truly tempted to form an "L" shaped air/deflector wing out of ABS plastic (but at 120 degree angle instead of the 90) and VHB tape it in roughly the same place before I drill holes in the roof.

Basically like the big ones you see now and then on top of semi trucks to deflect air up and over the trailer.
Charlie check Fiberglass Forum A fellow installed a 2 panel system and made a air dam in front to deflect air over panels looked good to me . It was on a older Trillum he was restoring .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #166
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Charlie check Fiberglass Forum A fellow installed a 2 panel system and made a air dam in front to deflect air over panels looked good to me . It was on a older Trillum he was restoring .Pat
That was pretty much my thinking; possibly a bunch of smaller segments (3-4 inches long) with a small gap in between to do a "best fit" to the curved surface instead of a straight item like the aluminum is. Another advantage is that if one or two flew off on the road, it would be less risk to following traffic and easy for me to check on. I'll make one and post a pic.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #167

Trailer: Escape
I have received a recent e-mail from ETI concerning the solar panels. Tammy admonished me for raising the panels 3" but failed to acknowledge the poor installation and smeared epoxy on one of the factory installed panels. From the information provided I believe that the add on brackets will be attached directly to the frame of the solar panel. Brackets that are normally used for installation with backing.
I am considering running flat stock thru the square tubing and securing the ends with jack nuts which have more retention surface area than the drive rivets.
http://rivetsonline.com/rivet-nuts-a...jack-nuts.html
http://www.theinsertcompany.com/steel_screw_anchors.php
Available from several sources and in different quantities. McMaster-Carr offers Screwdriver-Installed Rivet Nut, Self-Seal Coated Steel, 1/4"-20 Thread, 1/64"-3/16" Thick
Old 06-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #168

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
That was pretty much my thinking; possibly a bunch of smaller segments (3-4 inches long) with a small gap in between to do a "best fit" to the curved surface instead of a straight item like the aluminum is. Another advantage is that if one or two flew off on the road, it would be less risk to following traffic and easy for me to check on. I'll make one and post a pic.
Thanks Bob, This is a practical approch and valueable parts info.
Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #169
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Thanks Bob, This is a practical approch and valueable parts info.
Tonny
On the Oregon coast this weekend, will post a parts pic on Monday nite.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #170

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Quote:
On the Oregon coast this weekend, will post a parts pic on Monday nite.
Looking forward to seeing this, Charlie. Thanks~
Gae

oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote