Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 35 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #341

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Appreciate all the comments on this thread. Our build sheet is due Sept 1 and we were originally going to just do the solar pre-wire, but we decided to get the factory solar option now that it is bolt through. We hadn't thought about the headliner issues to add a panel sometime down the road. One decision down.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #342

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Appreciate all the comments on this thread. Our build sheet is due Sept 1 and we were originally going to just do the solar pre-wire, but we decided to get the factory solar option now that it is bolt through. We hadn't thought about the headliner issues to add a panel sometime down the road. One decision down.
Glad to know that our misfortune helped resolve some indecision for others. Quite amazing really that this whole thing started June 8th and barely 2 months later we already have had a significant exchange of thoughts and ideas resulting in a number of solutions...not to mention a swift response by ETI.

Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #343

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm liking the return to rationality here. Nobody does everything perfect, but all in all, Escape has been one of the best companies I've ever dealt with.
Yes, well, dealing with the electrical problems that were a result of assembly, the 4.3 frig, and the solar panels has been a bit too much as of late. To many do-it yourself projects taxing my limitations, patience,and attitude.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #344

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Do solar panels need to be cooled? I know that efficiency is lowered in extreme heat, but was wondering if a skirt around the panel (side of panel to roof) would keep the wind out from under the panel thereby eliminating pressure that might cause it to blow off?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #345

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
While it's true that heat reduces efficiency I don't think that there's a practical way of cooling them.

I think that for panels that are't mechanically attached a skirt could help reduce the chance of separation. But in the case of adhesive failure it might only delay the inevitable. With mechanical attachment I wouldn't bother with a deflector. The tensile strength of one Grade 8 1/4" bolt is something like 4900lbs.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #346

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
While it's true that heat reduces efficiency I don't think that there's a practical way of cooling them.

I think that for panels that are't mechanically attached a skirt could help reduce the chance of separation. But in the case of adhesive failure it might only delay the inevitable. With mechanical attachment I wouldn't bother with a deflector. The tensile strength of one Grade 8 1/4" bolt is something like 4900lbs.

Ron
following this thread and have a few questions. Shouldn't there be in your opinion a larger backing plate, it has been said a roof of 1/8 thickness, so with the wind stress pulling up on those panels not to widen holes or eventually pull through ? I respect your opinion . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #347
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
A panel will work at reduced efficiency without backside cooling, but even a small gap (1/8th inch) is enough for convection to work for cooling the backside. The direct-attach flexible panels are quite a bit less efficient, but they do still work.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #348

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
following this thread and have a few questions. Shouldn't there be in your opinion a larger backing plate, it has been said a roof of 1/8 thickness, so with the wind stress pulling up on those panels not to widen holes or eventually pull through ? I respect your opinion . Pat
There is an adequate backing plate used for mounting the 150/160 W panels bolting thru and into the cabinets, not so for the bracket mounting fix for the 95 W panels. While we would need a wind tunnel and a smoke source to prove it, I do not believe wind uplift stress has caused the panel mounting failure. Evidence has been shown that poor surface prep and seperation of the epoxy from the aluminum box tubing most probably has resulted in panel mounting failure within a given manufacture time period. It is so easy to speculate and to try to find a fix for a problem that may not exist.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
There is an adequate backing plate used for mounting the 150/160 W panels bolting thru and into the cabinets, not so for the bracket mounting fix for the 95 W panels. While we would need a wind tunnel and a smoke source to prove it, I do not believe wind uplift stress has caused the panel mounting failure. Evidence has been shown that poor surface prep and seperation of the epoxy from the aluminum box tubing most probably has resulted in panel mounting failure within a given manufacture time period. It is so easy to speculate and to try to find a fix for a problem that may not exist.
The fix I see is a bolt with a washer . What is the backing plate for 150/160 ? Especially if installing after the build ? Pat
Old 08-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The fix I see is a bolt with a washer . What is the backing plate for 150/160 ? Especially if installing after the build ? Pat
Also if it is wood, stress will widen that in my experience . Pat