Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Dave, does it look as if any fiberglass came off with the gel coat? No doubt they will be glad to bolt it for anyone who wants that.

float5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #52

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I hope I'm not jumping the gun on this nor do I want to offend the fine folks at ETI but I think with our build to start fairly soon, I am going to ask them if they would put in extra reinforcing strips in the roof and bolt the panel to the roof. I had assumed that was the way they were mounted anyway. We run the great plains a lot, especially Interstates 70, 80, and 90 and the winds can really blow out there let alone getting into a squall. I have seen empty tractor trailers get blown over on their side. I would be more than willing to pay extra for this and it would give great peace of mind. Plus can you imagine the liability involved if the panel went through someones windshield? I will run this by ETI next week and see what they say. And that's why our trailer is being named "Spirit of the Plains" Loren
Please let us know your eti results as we have a 5.ota going into production very soon.

ken

KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I hope I'm not jumping the gun on this nor do I want to offend the fine folks at ETI but I think with our build to start fairly soon, I am going to ask them if they would put in extra reinforcing strips in the roof and bolt the panel to the roof. I had assumed that was the way they were mounted anyway. We run the great plains a lot, especially Interstates 70, 80, and 90 and the winds can really blow out there let alone getting into a squall. I have seen empty tractor trailers get blown over on their side. I would be more than willing to pay extra for this and it would give great peace of mind. Plus can you imagine the liability involved if the panel went through someones windshield? I will run this by ETI next week and see what they say. And that's why our trailer is being named "Spirit of the Plains" Loren
I have no reinforcing in the roof of my trailer I don't believe being built in 2013 . There is no way I can have a panel bolted through my roof without that . I know with any of these up drafts pulling on the panel I would be concerned it would crack the fiberglass with the strain and no reinforcement . I suppose you could add over vinyl , really don't think we would care for the look . Going to check out some more and seeing what Escape can come up with . But it is looking more and more like I need to just stick with my folding panel and generator . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I have no reinforcing in the roof of my trailer I don't believe being built in 2013 . There is no way I can have a panel bolted through my roof without that . I know with any of these up drafts pulling on the panel I would be concerned it would crack the fiberglass with the strain and no reinforcement . I suppose you could add over vinyl , really don't think we would care for the look . Going to check out some more and seeing what Escape can come up with . But it is looking more and more like I need to just stick with my folding panel and generator . Pat
one other option is to use the newest style of flexible panels, when mounted they have no air space below.

ken
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
one other option is to use the newest style of flexible panels, when mounted they have no air space below.

ken
Was wondering if the flexible panels work very well ? The life span are only 10 years unlike the panel that blew off the life span is 25 years . The price is pretty high also compared to flat panels . Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #56

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Was wondering if the flexible panels work very well ? The life span are only 10 years unlike the panel that blew off the life span is 25 years . The price is pretty high also compared to flat panels . Pat
Keep in mind that the flexible panels need cooling just like a rigid panel. And that the flexible panel doesn't have a protective layer of tempered glass to protect it from hail and impact.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Keep in mind that the flexible panels need cooling just like a rigid panel. And that the flexible panel doesn't have a protective layer of tempered glass to protect it from hail and impact.

--
Alan
Thanks Allan that one has been removed from the equalation. Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #58

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Thanks Allan that one has been removed from the equalation. Pat
Don't give up entirely on flexible panels.

Some day the awning will be made out of flexible solar material. That way it is air cooled from underneath when deployed, and protected from damage when traveling or bad weather arrives (rolled up). Oh, and the cost will be less than canvas and the output will be many 100's of watts. In our lifetimes? We can hope...

(Along with my combination 12v microwave, dish washer, laundry machine.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Don't give up entirely on flexible panels.

Some day the awning will be made out of flexible solar material. That way it is air cooled from underneath when deployed, and protected from damage when traveling or bad weather arrives (rolled up). Oh, and the cost will be less than canvas and the output will be many 100's of watts. In our lifetimes? We can hope...

(Along with my combination 12v microwave, dish washer, laundry machine.)

--
Alan
Now that's what I want ! Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #60

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
I hope I'm not jumping the gun on this nor do I want to offend the fine folks at ETI but I think with our build to start fairly soon, I am going to ask them if they would put in extra reinforcing strips in the roof and bolt the panel to the roof.
I spoke to Reace last year. At that time, he would put in reinforcing and bolt the panel to the roof. He could even raise panel up a few inches, to minimize shadowing on the panel and allow for cooling air flow underneath. I asked him what his thoughts were about waterproofing/putting extra holes in roof with the bolts. At that time, if I remember correctly, I think his response was that (1) it's no different than all the other holes in the trailer, and (2) the sealant they use nowadays is so good it's a non issue.

jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote