Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #201

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Checking my solar panel this morning and am now wondering if I actually need the retro-fit Reace is sending out. Unlike the larger Escapes, and with the reinforced roof for the A/C, there is very little room for air to get under the panel on my 17B. I'm going to ETI next month to pick up a mattress and was going to have them do the retro-fit but now I'm thinking of not having it done. Am I being foolish?
Yes! Have the kit installed. Peace of mind towing.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #202
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now what happens when the deflector blows off??
That risk was part of my consideration when choosing to use segments for the deflector - if one section decides to take flight, that's not a huge chunk of stuff to hit a following vehicle.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #203

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I take it you mean the extra layer of fiberglass under the A/C. Yes, ours had that. I just checked our old photos. Can't post them though.

For a few years, they did not have units A/C ready. Then they started making them all A/C ready, so I understand.
Hi Cathy just spoke to Tammy and starting in 2012 my mold for the roof for the 19 is reenforced inside to accept the Ac . They haven't as yet changed the mold on the 17 . It is very costly . So we can breath a sigh of relief now everything is good . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #204

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Cathy just spoke to Tammy and starting in 2012 my mold for the roof for the 19 is reenforced inside to accept the Ac . They haven't as yet changed the mold on the 17 . It is very costly . So we can breath a sigh of relief now everything is good . Pat
Pat, I figured they were doing something like that but I did not know exactly what. Just thought yours was likely different. I hardly thought that they would have put an A/C up there if you did not have reinforcement!

I wonder what the problem is with the 17'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #205

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I think there is some confusion here- our 2010 17B had a different roofline than earlier ones and was told a rooftop AC could be mounted there.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #206

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post

I wonder what the problem is with the 17'.
I'm betting that they just don't sell nearly enough of the 17's (especially relative to the 19's) to make it cost-effective for the new mold.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #207

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I'm betting that they just don't sell nearly enough of the 17's (especially relative to the 19's) to make it cost-effective for the new mold.
That is possible. I wonder what numbers of 17's they are selling compared to the others. It could also be the percentage of 17's ordered with A/C. I think 17's are still very popular but no telling compared to the others.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #208

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
That could be. I like to check their production schedule and they are now a year out on their 19's. Business is good. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #209

Quote:
hi Don Tammy said they will someday change the mold just not right now . Actually looks nice and strong . Pat
Old 07-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #210

Trailer: none
The wind deflectors may be helpful, but keep in mind that it 'seems' like our panel was blown off by crosswinds....not headwinds....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #211

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Solar Panel Reinforcement Kit

Escape's solar panel reinforcement kit came in the mail today. Four aluminum pre-drilled angle brackets, bolts for the roof, self-tapping screws for the panel, a half-tube of ProFlexRV sealant and an instruction sheet with photos. It looks like a simple and easy fix.

-Dave
Old 07-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #212

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
Escape's solar panel reinforcement kit came in the mail today. Four aluminum pre-drilled angle brackets, bolts for the roof, self-tapping screws for the panel, a half-tube of ProFlexRV sealant and an instruction sheet with photos. It looks like a simple and easy fix.

-Dave
I know it'll be an easy fix for me - in 2 weeks I'm headin' to Chilliwack to pick up a mattress and to have ETI do it.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #213

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Mine arrived a few days ago. It was an easy 10 minute install.

Cheers
Doug
Old 07-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #214

We received our replacement solar panel and the bolt kit last week, however Reace then emailed and said he was sending different bolts pieces because ours is a Classic 5.0 and the bolt placement needs to be different.

We sanded down some of the leftover epoxy from the original panels- could only get the rough edges off, there was too much to sand off without creating a much larger area of damage to the gelcoat and possibly the fiberglass underneath. We repaired the exposed fiberglass areas with fiberglass resin to be sure there are no leak issues.
Will update once we get the rest of the bolt kit and get it re-installed.
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #215

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't know if you've seen this but the writer does a good job explaining how to repair FG.

You Can Repair Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #216

Thanks Bob! We will keep that for future reference! Upon quick review it looks like we did pretty much what was recommended in the thread.
But we'll be better educated if there is a next time!!
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't know if you've seen this but the writer does a good job explaining how to repair FG.

You Can Repair Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Hi Bob . He also explains no epoxy . It will only stick well to itself . Kind of know what happened here epoxy pulled off the gel gloss . I was also told by other trailer manufacturer no epoxy . Also a solar installer company . Panels need to be bolted to trailer and then sealed . Pat
Old 07-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #218

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Hi Bob . He also explains no epoxy . It will only stick well to itself . Pat
Ah, I think you mis-read his quote He is correct, you don't need epoxy to do any repairs on your trailer. Staying with polyester resin is just fine. But, you can use epoxy to bond to f.g. It works well, however, you can't then use polyester resin over it, it doesn't bond and is low strength.

Epoxy bonds to both gel coat and polyester resin just fine. But preparation is key. The glossy gel coat will affect the bond unless it is prepped properly.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Ah, I think you mis-read his quote He is correct, you don't need epoxy to do any repairs on your trailer. Staying with polyester resin is just fine. But, you can use epoxy to bond to f.g. It works well, however, you can't then use polyester resin over it, it doesn't bond and is low strength.

Epoxy bonds to both gel coat and polyester resin just fine. But preparation is key. The glossy gel coat will affect the bond unless it is prepped properly.

Ron
I know Ron I am not very technical in how I speak . But I was told no way messing with the epoxy to hold the panel down . There are 4 feet installed bolted through with a mental backing plate . The plates on top 3m 4000 marine grade by trailer manufacturer or Dicor is used by solar installer to seal brackets from any water intrusion that may happen . Was told there could be a ? Of the gel gloss bonding to fiberglass . They would not take that chance .also a lot of proper prep needs to be done , another ? .Epoxy can't be old or not mixed right ,etc. By bolting through you eliminate all these potential problems . There was a reason for failure . I looked into this because Thought I was going to get it done . I have the pre solar install but I will watch and wait for awhile . Maybe never . Will see . Pat
Old 07-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #220

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I know Ron I am not very technical in how I speak . But I was told no way messing with the epoxy to hold the panel down . There are 4 feet installed bolted through with a mental backing plate . The plates on top 3m 4000 marine grade by trailer manufacturer or Dicor is used by solar installer to seal brackets from any water intrusion that may happen . Was told there could be a ? Of the gel gloss bonding to fiberglass . They would not take that chance .also a lot of proper prep needs to be done , another ? .Epoxy can't be old or not mixed right ,etc. By bolting through you eliminate all these potential problems . There was a reason for failure . I looked into this because Thought I was going to get it done . I have the pre solar install but I will watch and wait for awhile . Maybe never . Will see . Pat
Absolutely correct. Bottom line, don't mess with epoxy on anything important unless you have the experience to do so. I've epoxy coated a 5,000 lb. keel and run the flange onto the f.g. Very difficult, high stress, salt water environment without any problems but again, preparation and experience.

Quite frankly, the first time I heard that ETI was using VHB tape to put panels on the roof I was aghast Epoxy can work but again there are several things that have to be done correctly. Personally, the only way I'd put solar panels on my roof would be to bolt them on.

Since I don't like bolts through the roof that's why my panel is mounted over the tongue box.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote