Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #321

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Is the 5.0 Classic based on the 17' body ?
Yes, all Escape models are derived from some other model, with the original (the 17') being based on a Surfside (with a lot of improvements). The original 5.0 started with a 17', and kept the same width.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #322

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Photos of the curbside .... outside. And the replacement of the grommet which broke when the panel blew off.
Dave thank you for the pictures . I was looking over them and something is catching my attention . The bottom of the feet appear to have sealant on top of the bolts . I think I would get some DiCor or 3m marine grade 4000 and seal all around the feet at the bottom edges . Water may be able to get under there and come inside . Just my thoughts . Whatever product you use needs to be waterproof and flexible . If you can look how Escape sealed the Max fan , etc. that's kind of what you want . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #323

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Escape provides the sealant to us with the kit, which I presume is the sealant they use around the Maxxfan and other rooftop devices.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #324

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave thank you for the pictures . I was looking over them and something is catching my attention . The bottom of the feet appear to have sealant on top of the bolts . I think I would get some DiCor or 3m marine grade 4000 and seal all around the feet at the bottom edges . Water may be able to get under there and come inside . Just my thoughts . Whatever product you use needs to be waterproof and flexible . If you can look how Escape sealed the Max fan , etc. that's kind of what you want . Pat
We sent Reace the pictures also. He had sent sealant with the panel etc and this is the kind he used:
Geocel 28100V Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant:
http://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28100V-Crystal-Flexible-Sealant/dp/B001FC98X2
Reace recommended more sealant around the brackets so we will do that as soon as we get some more...it's been ordered from Amazon. He also said that the headliner issue is because they got a bit too close to the curve of the dome and, of course, that's true. But unless you are doing it yourself or are right there next to them while they do the work (not likely) it is really hard to convey exactly what is needed and the nuances of what happens if you're too close, too far, etc. Especially someone who hasn't dealt with this before. and hasn't been thinking through all the "what ifs". And once you drill the hole there is no going back. We're glad they got the bathroom side brackets on ok without going through the bathroom ceiling.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #325

Quote:
We sent Reace the pictures also. He had sent sealant with the panel etc and this is the kind he used:
Reace recommended more sealant around the brackets so we will do that as soon as we get some more...it's been ordered from Amazon. He also said that the headliner issue is because they got a bit too close to the curve of the dome and, of course, that's true. But unless you are doing it yourself or are right there next to them while they do the work (not likely) it is really hard to convey exactly what is needed and the nuances of what happens if you're too close, too far, etc. Especially someone who hasn't dealt with this before. and hasn't been thinking through all the "what ifs". And once you drill the hole there is no going back. We're glad they got the bathroom side brackets on ok without going through the bathroom ceiling.
Dave I have also used the Pro Flex . We just have a hard time getting that around here . I just also thought brackets were not sealed good enough to my liking . Believe me I know what you mean about having others do repairs for you . Happens to me too. Hopefully this is it and you can just get back to camping . Pat
Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #326
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What about a piece of Butyl tape under the brackets, then just sealing the bracket edge and top with the ProFlex? Seems to me that would provide a very good seal.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
What about a piece of Butyl tape under the brackets, then just sealing the bracket edge and top with the ProFlex? Seems to me that would provide a very good seal.
Robert I wouldn't . The sealant's mentioned will also help hold besides sealing . The Butyl tape is great for windows etc. but it won't help hold and it does squeeze out . Just my take . Pat
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #328
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Robert I wouldn't . The sealant's mentioned will also help hold besides sealing . The Butyl tape is great for windows etc. but it won't help hold and it does squeeze out . Just my take . Pat
OK, fair enough. I was thinking more about the sealing properties instead of holding. I assume the bolts would do the holding.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #329

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Wow! All the diverse thoughts about how to add the mounting parts, what to watch out for, ramifications of this and that...All good information, thanks to all.
I'm not ready to drill holes through that beautiful shell. I examined the solar panel mounting and didn't find any kind of gaps in the mounting. It felt pretty solid. So, for now, I added a cable on each side of the solar panel that connects the solar panel mounting to the steel frame of the air conditioner. I think there is little chance of air conditioner damage should the panel come loose. While I still think adding the direct-to-the-shell mounting brackets is the final fix, this will keep from the panel literally flying-off the trailer should it become un-attached. (On my 19 the solar is mounted on the back behind the air condidioner.)
I stlll want to add the brackets and will do so following a more elegant solution to the bolts and washers disfiguring the headliner in the cabinets. I'll probably make some kind of oak fixture for inside the cabinets.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #330

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you didn't know... you'll need to keep an eye on this sealant over the years. Like all caulks, it's a yearly maintenance item, at least to check it. It's the same as they use over the windows and over the tail lights.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you didn't know... you'll need to keep an eye on this sealant over the years. Like all caulks, it's a yearly maintenance item, at least to check it. It's the same as they use over the windows and over the tail lights.
Thanks for that advice! We will make a point to check it regularly and renew it as needed. Out here in NM the UV load is pretty substantial and the trailer is not stored under cover.
Sold both 7/22
Old 08-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #332

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Thanks for that advice! We will make a point to check it regularly and renew it as needed. Out here in NM the UV load is pretty substantial and the trailer is not stored under cover.
Have you noticed if your trailer has faded at all? I live in Las Vegas, and mine is not stored under a cover so I'm concerned about the long term effects.

Thanks,
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Have you noticed if your trailer has faded at all? I live in Las Vegas, and mine is not stored under a cover so I'm concerned about the long term effects.

Thanks,
Well, it spent the first 5-6 years of it's life with its original owners in the Vancouver area with summers spent in the Phoenix area. It was in good shape but certainly not pristine and shiny as new. There was some 'chalking' on the upper half and front end.
Since we've had it here in NM we have noticed some loss in what was left of the shine, particularly on the roof and leading edge (where the bedroom is). It should be noted that we have only washed it periodically...no wax, etc. If we had one brand new we would probably have been more attentive to the waxing, etc.
Sold both 7/22
Old 08-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #334

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Well, it spent the first 5-6 years of it's life with its original owners in the Vancouver area with summers spent in the Phoenix area. It was in good shape but certainly not pristine and shiny as new. There was some 'chalking' on the upper half and front end.
Since we've had it here in NM we have noticed some loss in what was left of the shine, particularly on the roof and leading edge (where the bedroom is). It should be noted that we have only washed it periodically...no wax, etc. If we had one brand new we would probably have been more attentive to the waxing, etc.
Thanks Fran. I think a periodic cost of wax should help, I hope so. I was going to build a carport for it, but my HOA would not allow it...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #335

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Were you able to recieve any monetary compensation or reimbursement for the installation of the solar panel and "the fix" mounting brackets ? I am hesitant to drill 16 holes in the roof of our escape 19 for two factory installed 95 W panels.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #336

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I am hesitant to drill 16 holes in the roof of our escape 19 for two factory installed 95 W panels.
I think the number of holes could be safely reduced to 8. Four 1/4" bolts per panel would provide enough strength to lift the whole trailer. I believe that the reason for 2 bolts on one end of the bracket is to prevent the potential for racking or swiveling of the bracket. The same effect could be gotten by putting the 2 holes into the panel frame.

If I install a fixed panel on mine it will be mounted on two rails with only 1 bolt at each end.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #337

Quote:
Were you able to recieve any monetary compensation or reimbursement for the installation of the solar panel and "the fix" mounting brackets ? I am hesitant to drill 16 holes in the roof of our escape 19 for two factory installed 95 W panels.
ETI sent us a replacement solar panel and the mounting kit along with sealant and a small jug of gelcoat. Reace has been available and helpful in discussing the mounting procedure. If we had been able to bring the trailer to Chilliwack he would have helped out with the installation. ETI had no real obligation to replace the panel as it is impossible to really know why and how it blew off. It had been on the trailer for 2 years and we didn't even buy the trailer new from them.
As it was, the only cost to us was the labor to do the install...about $200. The way we see it, s&*t happens and we just aren't interested in laying blame. We wish it had not happened but we are grateful for the goodwill, concern for owners of their product and assistance that ETI voluntarily offered to us. They may not be perfect but as far as we're concerned, as a company, they are head and shoulders above anyone else we have ever dealt with.
Sold both 7/22
Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think the number of holes could be safely reduced to 8. Four 1/4" bolts per panel would provide enough strength to lift the whole trailer. I believe that the reason for 2 bolts on one end of the bracket is to prevent the potential for racking or swiveling of the bracket. The same effect could be gotten by putting the 2 holes into the panel frame.

If I install a fixed panel on mine it will be mounted on two rails with only 1 bolt at each end.

Ron
In our trailer it is 6 holes:
2 for each of the brackets on the curbside (4)
1 for each of the brackets on the road side (2) since that goes into the space between the roof and the bathroom ceiling and used a special bolt that expands inside the space.

As far as what you see inside the trailer, it is 4 caps.
Sold both 7/22
Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #339

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
ETI sent us a replacement solar panel and the mounting kit along with sealant and a small jug of gelcoat. Reace has been available and helpful in discussing the mounting procedure. If we had been able to bring the trailer to Chilliwack he would have helped out with the installation. ETI had no real obligation to replace the panel as it is impossible to really know why and how it blew off. It had been on the trailer for 2 years and we didn't even buy the trailer new from them.
As it was, the only cost to us was the labor to do the install...about $200. The way we see it, s&*t happens and we just aren't interested in laying blame. We wish it had not happened but we are grateful for the goodwill, concern for owners of their product and assistance that ETI voluntarily offered to us. They may not be perfect but as far as we're concerned, as a company, they are head and shoulders above anyone else we have ever dealt with.
Your words hold weight. If you are satisfied thats what counts in the end. I agree that ETI does try their best.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #340
Site Team

I'm liking the return to rationality here. Nobody does everything perfect, but all in all, Escape has been one of the best companies I've ever dealt with.