Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #401

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are several bolts in your ceiling, the 4 for the a/c as well as the antenna and MaxFann all with -0- condensation issues in the winter. You covered the interior with caps so I doubt you will have any issues with wetness.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #402

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Dear lord sometimes I hate "spell check". I meant to say "nuts" but I probably mistyped a letter and spell check "fixed" it for me. I don't have any nurses in my trailer, and if I did, I wouldn't cover them with "brush on electrical tape".
LMFriggin'AO!!!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #403

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
I wonder if on newer trailers ETI puts bolt in from the inside before they install the headliner? That way this wouldn't be an issue.
ETI installed the "fix" for me and said they now bolt the solar panel before the headliner is installed.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #404

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Dear lord sometimes I hate "spell check". I meant to say "nuts" but I probably mistyped a letter and spell check "fixed" it for me. I don't have any nurses in my trailer, and if I did, I wouldn't cover them with "brush on electrical tape".
I'm going to hold off installing the brackets until next spring. I'm not really welcoming the idea of drilling holes in the roof of my still new trailer and I've now procrastinated long enough that it's getting too cold. Hopefully, I won't need any nurses after I attempt this either.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #405

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was going to put it off also until I inspected the panels and saw they were loose.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #406

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I wonder is some small circles of the liner could be made and then glued over the nuts inside with contact cement?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #407
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Diet Coke just shot out of my nose!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #408

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I thought Leon had a vast knowledge of mechanical parts and I would have to ask him what that is. Something that of course we needed also. And would have to buy from Camping World (hubby added).
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #409

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I don't have any nurses in my trailer, and if I did, I wouldn't cover them with "brush on electrical tape".
Good - given the similarity of dried brush-on electrical tape to latex, that would be a little on the racy side for the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are several bolts in your ceiling, the 4 for the a/c as well as the antenna and MaxFann all with -0- condensation issues in the winter.
Typically there are screws in the interior trim around a MaxxFan which go into the housing, but not through to the outside. In the air conditioners I have, there are no visible fastener heads. Are there really bolts which go all the way through from exposed on the exterior to exposed on the interior in the MaxxFan or A/C installation? Which end are the nuts on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You covered the interior with caps so I doubt you will have any issues with wetness.
I assume that while the bolt head is capped, the fender washer extends well beyond the cap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #410

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I thought that the solar panel kits use 'well nuts' so that you just have to penetrate the fiberglass and not the head-liner.
Is there no air space between the fiberglass and the head-liner?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #411

Trailer: Escape
Jxoco, yes, well nuts will work. There is an inch of space between the fiberglass reinforcement cap and the thin ceiling. The insulation and vinyl headliner are attached to the underside of the ceiling. I don't know if there is a space under the rear part of the roof aft of the reinforcement cap. Speaking from perspective of a 2010 trailer.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #412

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Diet Coke just shot out of my nose!
Donna, Donna: Although Diet Coke has a high quantity of salt, that does NOT make it appropriate to use as a nose rinse.

(Oh, the things we have to rectify on this forum!)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #413
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Donna, Donna: Although Diet Coke has a high quantity of salt, that does NOT make it appropriate to use as a nose rinse.

(Oh, the things we have to rectify on this forum!)
Ain't that the truth!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #414

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Source of small quantity of Geocell Pro Flex or other for solar panel fix? I was waxing the top of my 19' Escape completed on 1/2/2014 and was very pleased with the condition of all areas where items are secured to our roof. The solar panel installation looked very secure. I do have a 10 oz. container of the Pro Flex but figure that I only need about a thimble full for the fix. Is there something else I can use where I won't waste a whole tube?
Old 10-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #415

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'd also love to find a source for small tubes. When I use a small amount from the standard caulking gun tube, I use my air compressor to blow the material back out of the plastic dispenser portion of the tube, then seal the end with gaffers tape. Eventually, this fails, and I cut the tube and use a putty knife to dig out & apply the stuff. Clean up with acetone. I still rarely use more than half a tube before it becomes unusable...
Old 10-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #416

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
They have it in quart cans on Amazon that would reseal without drying out. Reviews look good on it and mention getting the can because the tubes dry out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #417

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pro flex tubes

I blow the tapered nozzle back also, then I run a small sheet metal screw into the opening and seal with 33 plus black electrical tape. Works pretty good. I seem to be able to get a full season of touch ups out of a ten dollar tube. I'd like to see smaller squeeze tubes too but doubt the manufacturers are interested in making life more satisfying for old geezers who hate waste. Where's my congressman when I need him.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #418

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I use a small amount from the standard caulking gun tube, I use my air compressor to blow the material back out of the plastic dispenser portion of the tube,
Man, the things I learn on this forum. Never heard of that before. I usually tape up the end and hope that I need to use it again before it hardens up.

Some times I can take a sharp screw and thread it in the plug and pull it out while squeezing hard and hoping that I don't end up with a face full of goop and sometimes the nozzle just gets shorter. Yup, have done the cut it open and salvage what I could routine also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #419

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Source of small quantity of Geocell Pro Flex or other for solar panel fix? I was waxing the top of my 19' Escape completed on 1/2/2014 and was very pleased with the condition of all areas where items are secured to our roof. The solar panel installation looked very secure. I do have a 10 oz. container of the Pro Flex but figure that I only need about a thimble full for the fix. Is there something else I can use where I won't waste a whole tube?
Did you install the cable tethers rather than the brackets ?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #420

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My "solar fix" came with the cable tethers. I'll install them when I get a chance, but feel comfortable with the condition of the solar as connected to the roof right now. The seal seems quite secure.