Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182king View Post
Here is my last post on the subject of solar panel blowing off: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...anty-2337.html

After one failure with tape and one failure with epoxy (both blew off). It was time to epoxy and bolt my panel to the trailer. Haven't had and issue since. Holes on right hand side of trailer are in cabinet above sink. The other holes on the left side of trailer are in the closet and the other is above the shower.
Wow ! You did a fantastic job fixing your panel . I am very sorry you had to solve this . For me getting a panel on my roof is really going off the table . I don't want to deal with what you have had to encounter . Again so sorry . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
. For me getting a panel on my roof is really going off the table.
Just an opinion, but I think that's overreacting. Its very rare to have an issue with the panel mounts.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Same opinion here. If ETI has installed 100+ of them, that's a failure rate of less than 2%. Of course, if you're one of the two, that's a big deal...like 100% failure.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:06 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Same opinion here. If ETI has installed 100+ of them, that's a failure rate of less than 2%. Of course, if you're one of the two, that's a big deal...like 100% failure.
Sorry for me that is one too many . There are too many if's with this installation . I worked in construction . I am 792 in trailer construction know there are over 1000. now . So really not that many installations that still can fail under the right conditions . Someone suggested in molds to have the blocking in roof then it really should be bolted also . I also liked the idea as suggested what is used for boat construction for handrails then no holes inside roof .The best solar in the awning . For some reason I hesitated to install solar in build but I did get the pre solar just in case . I hope this is the end of flying panels for everyone . I will not take any pleasure in anyone else having this problem . I just don't want to have this worry . I know Reace will definitely figure this out . As someone said stuff happens . I have 1 more call to get their take on how it is done because I am curious ,but I really think not for me . Pat
Old 06-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After cross crossing the continent and making it home safely I can breathe a sigh of relief. There are so many things that can go wrong, as these threads demonstrate. Sewer hose theft, solar panel issues, cooling issues, bad water, awning issues, bad weather, tire blowouts, accidents, hitting animals.....the list goes on. Maybe that is what makes life exciting, dodging the bullets it throws at you. After spending 35 years behind 4 walls and fighting rush hour traffic and city crime, these trailer issues seem small, but I'm not saying they are trivial but in the grand scheme of things are we not enjoying ourselves??
Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim is right, as much as we can take all the precautions possible, stuff will still happen.

In business, I was once told by a kitchen designer, that folks who worry about stuff going wrong, are more likely to have that happen. I know that there really is no merit to that statement, but man, it sure does seem to be true. I think it is more about the attitude, in that when stuff does happen to those that don't worry as much, they blow off the incident easier.

I am in no way trying to trivialize the issue of the panel blowing off, or the potential of a terrible resultant. This is something where all efforts to do best job possible should be taken, and I have all confidence that they will be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
From the pictures I have seen of the solar panel mounting failure, it appears that the bond between the aluminum square tubing and the "industrial epoxy" fails on one side and the other mount is stressed enough to pull the gel coat from the fiberglass, resulting in a dismounted solar panel.
Ok, well I raised the solar panels to inspect the "industrial grade epoxy" bond between the mounting square tubes and the gel coat. The epoxy was smeared on one mounting tube during the installation and is poorly bonded to the gel coat. You can actually see day light between the mounting tube and the gel coat. This is VERY poor craftsmanship and the installer was fully aware of the failure potential. How do I solve this problem ? No wonder one mounting tube fails and the other one is ripped off! Yet another example of poor craftsmanship at ETI !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0966.jpg   IMG_0967.jpg   IMG_0968.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob,
Did you raise your solar panel, mine is nowhere that high on my unit?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #89

I raised the solar panel to inspect the epoxy mounting between the gel coat and square mounting tube. I have no idea on how to solve this potential failure due to poor installation. The installer has to know of this potential failure. So much for quality control !
I would not have noticed the air gap between the mounting tube and the gel coat if the panel was not raised !
Old 06-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...I have no idea on how to solve this potential failure due to poor installation."

Disturbing news that makes me glad my solar panels are portable. Think if it were me I would drill holes for bolts.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #91
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello all...

I have spent the weekend looking for a reasonable solution to the solar situation at hand...and unfortunately, the only real fail-safe method is to bolt the panel through the roof. Our track record with the epoxy bond has been successful with 3 (to my knowledge) panels coming off out of approximately 450+ installations. Prior to epoxy, we used 3M VHB tape to bond the panels on and I only know of 1 (to my knowledge) of those installs failing out of about 60 installs. Having said that, I would like to get to zero failures without drilling holes in the roof, however I don't think that will happen. Moving forward...

As of today, we have redesigned the installation to a bolt on system, and we are working on a kit that we can send out to existing owners as a back-up to the epoxy install. We will be contacting owners for mailing confirmation soon.

I will post some photos of both systems in the next day or two.

Just a note...if you have adjusted your solar panel after production, I would definitely add some bolts before you hit the road. Any panel we installed that was asked to be raised higher than our standard was installed with bolts.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #92

"we are working on a kit that we can send out to existing owners as a back-up to the epoxy install. We will be contacting owners for mailing confirmation soon".
Thank you Reace. I appreciate your continuing good service. Now about the 4.3 refer ?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #93

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all...

I have spent the weekend looking for a reasonable solution to the solar situation at hand...and unfortunately, the only real fail-safe method is to bolt the panel through the roof. Our track record with the epoxy bond has been successful with 3 (to my knowledge) panels coming off out of approximately 450+ installations. Prior to epoxy, we used 3M VHB tape to bond the panels on and I only know of 1 (to my knowledge) of those installs failing out of about 60 installs. Having said that, I would like to get to zero failures without drilling holes in the roof, however I don't think that will happen. Moving forward...

As of today, we have redesigned the installation to a bolt on system, and we are working on a kit that we can send out to existing owners as a back-up to the epoxy install. We will be contacting owners for mailing confirmation soon.

I will post some photos of both systems in the next day or two.

Just a note...if you have adjusted your solar panel after production, I would definitely add some bolts before you hit the road. Any panel we installed that was asked to be raised higher than our standard was installed with bolts.

Reace
Very good to know that all new trailers will have the bolt installations.
thanks reace for your quick decision and good judgement. I will feel better driving down hwy now.
ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #94

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I just talked to Crystal at ETI and then logged on here and there it was. Reace jumped on this right away and from now on, all panels will be bolted to the trailer. As for holes in the roof, with the caulking available today it is a non issue for me. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #95

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
While the bolted on solution is more failsafe, we may not have the skill nor the time to apply tbe change immediately. I wonder if it is possible to do a simple inspection before each trip to minimize the risk? What's the odd of the panel to come off if it doesn't already show sign of detachment ?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21, 2014 Four Wheel Campers Grandby
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all...

I have spent the weekend looking for a reasonable solution to the solar situation at hand...and unfortunately, the only real fail-safe method is to bolt the panel through the roof.

Reace
Reace, just wondering if you have considered a fiberglass fairing around the epoxy attached solar panel ? I think as long as the fairing is in place the panel should not have any unusual forces on it, and it would look better.
NJ Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #97

Trailer: none
Thanks Reace! We'll look forward to trying out the new mountung system. Appreciate that this was something you felt you had to work on and address. We're glad we have an Escape..
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #98

Trailer: 17
Excellent solution, thanks. The potential children riding in the vehicle behind deserve it.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #99

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Joe View Post
Reace, just wondering if you have considered a fiberglass fairing around the epoxy attached solar panel ? I think as long as the fairing is in place the panel should not have any unusual forces on it, and it would look better.
I also asked about the use of fairings in post 46 of this same thread.
Another thing that hasn't been addressed, in regard to solar panels blowing off, is tow speed. How fast should one (safely) tow a fully loaded Escape Trailer. Would speed have a bearing on this particular problem? It might.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I also asked about the use of fairings in post 46 of this same thread.
Another thing that hasn't been addressed, in regard to solar panels blowing off, is tow speed. How fast should one (safely) tow a fully loaded Escape Trailer. Would speed have a bearing on this particular problem? It might.
JMac could be . But you have the unpredictable wind conditions going down the road . If the wind is blowing right doesn't matter how slow you are going I would think . Pat