Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Solar panel. I have, in my life been in situations where fear was a valid emotion at the time. However fearing breakdowns, blowouts, dislocated solar panels, speeding tickets and other day to day eventualities, has never been a cause for fear. You're only gonna live so long, respect the weather and the physics at hand, develop your plan and put the hammer down. It's worked for me for going on 7 decades and I'm not changing now. ETI has consistently shown me that they have a great corporate moral compass, I'll ride with them any where any day.
Dave
I think getting a speeding ticket and a dislocated solar panel in the same sentence are not really something you can compare . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #122

Trailer: Escape
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Patandlinda;97189]I think getting a speeding ticket and a dislocated solar panel in the same sentence are not really something you can compare . Pat[/QUOTE
Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #123

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I think getting a speeding ticket and a dislocated solar panel in the same sentence are not really something you can compare . Pat
I agree. I'd much rather have a speeding ticket then being responsible for the damage a panel flying off could cause. At highway speeds it could easily become a multiple vehicle accident. Not to mention the damage to our trailer.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #124

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Solar panel. I have, in my life been in situations where fear was a valid emotion at the time. However fearing breakdowns, blowouts, dislocated solar panels, speeding tickets and other day to day eventualities, has never been a cause for fear. You're only gonna live so long, respect the weather and the physics at hand, develop your plan and put the hammer down. It's worked for me for going on 7 decades and I'm not changing now. ETI has consistently shown me that they have a great corporate moral compass, I'll ride with them any where any day.
Dave
So while I agree with you in general, remember businesses are not static. ETI is growing and with growth comes risk; one of the more significant ones involves personnel and their performance. As a former employer I know that is one of the most critical components for consistency. I hope ETI continues to grow and solidify their reputation, but no one can take it for granted. They, like any business have their challenges, and blind faith in anything is in itself risky.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
So while I agree with you in general, remember businesses are not static. ETI is growing and with growth comes risk; one of the more significant ones involves personnel and their performance. As a former employer I know that is one of the most critical components for consistency. I hope ETI continues to grow and solidify their reputation, but no one can take it for granted. They, like any business have their challenges, and blind faith in anything is in itself risky.
A very true statement. I posted pics of my latest mod and discovered someone at Escape had cut the bracing on the bottom , and painted the ends of the wood at my seat where the door is . . It's ok because I had reinforced everything especially adding the platform so it isn't a problem for me . It made it easier for the slide but I just because of this mod discovered this . So someone needs to be doing some more overseeing . Pat
Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
L brackets could be fiberglassed in the correct location then jell coated kinda like the wood is fiberglassed for the cabinet connection. I'm a big fan of limiting the holes drilled through the shell, especially in the roof.
I am too for limiting the holes in My roof, I have Double Insulation all around the interior, and I don't know how the bolts are going to affect.
Most of My camping is in Fall-Winter, it rains a lot and I feel safe in My trailer as it is now, more holes make Me uneasy, I think that two more transversal bars glued to the trailer and bolted to the solar panel will reinforce and eliminate the risk of detachment and water going inside the trailer.
gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #127

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
This may be way off base but I thought I would mention it for discussion. I am not and expert and am not recommending it in any way.

What about running a thick bead of 3M 5200 around the two aluminum tubes to provide an additional bond that is flexible. The epoxy would provide a very rigid bond and the 3M 5200 would remain somewhat flexible. The 3M 5200 may be able to handle the stresses of flexing and vibration if the original epoxy bond is somehow compromised. This might be way off base but 3M has a nasty reputation for adhesion and many won't use it because it is TOO permanent. I have used it on fiberglass boats and it is incredible stuff. A local boat guy even told me of a large outboard (several hundred pounds) they had trouble removing after being unbolted from the transom - 3M 5200 had been used when the motor was mounted and the 3M 5200 bond was strong enough to support the entire weight if the motor without any bolts.

Again, this may be way off base and through-bolting may be the only real fix.

Mark
Drumstick63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #128

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I like the idea. Epoxy is somewhat brittle and the 3M 5200 is not.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #129

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I've used 3M5200 in a number of places as a substitute for welding parts together on my fishing boat. Incredible stuff. But - it takes a full 7 days to cure - although a bit faster in humid or wet conditions. Don't count on being able to remove it without prying, cutting or heating. (None of which I would attempt on my shiny new Escape.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #130
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Funny comment that 3M has a nasty reputation for adhesion! That's why I buy their products, but then again I read the 3M specification sheets on their website and speak with their application engineers/sales people before I buy their stuff ..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I've used 3M5200 in a number of places as a substitute for welding parts together on my fishing boat. Incredible stuff. But - it takes a full 7 days to cure - although a bit faster in humid or wet conditions. Don't count on being able to remove it without prying, cutting or heating. (None of which I would attempt on my shiny new Escape.)

--
Alan
How did you prep the surfaces the 3M5200 was applied to ?
Will 3M5200 bond to aluminum ?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #132

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I notice on amazon both 3M 4200 and 5200 as well as Marine Adhesive 4000 fast cure which eliminates the 7 days to 24 hours and made for previously fastened joints 3M Marine 4000 UV Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure (White, 1/10 Gallon): Industrial Sealants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific, a plethora from which to choose and pick.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #133

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
How did you prep the surfaces the 3M5200 was applied to ?
Will 3M5200 bond to aluminum ?
Best prep for most metal surfaces is a light sanding with fine sandpaper, followed by acetone wipe. Knowing my habits, I probably did neither but the bond is still incredible. Don't know specifically about aluminum. My experience was with stainless steel.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #134

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Yes, fast cure versions of 3M 5200 and 4200 are available. I guess I just prefer the regular formula and am willing to wait for it to fully cure. It is my first choice for something on a boat that needs a strong permanent bond and seal below the waterline. Although I don't have experience with it, I understand there is a debond made specifically for 3M 5200 that would allow you to remove it and clean it up if/when necessary. Wouldn't we want something that is almost impossible to remove without a specific debond agent - might make the aluminium tubes almost become one with the roof of the trailer. Again, I don't know if this is a good application or not, I just thought it's reputation for an incredibly stubborn, flexible, and waterproof bond might make it worth a look...

Mark
Drumstick63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #135
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Okay, I'm from the "other" camp. Drilling holes in the roof area of an all-molded towable only hurts that first time. I mounted an A&E case awning on my Scamp. Twelve holes through the roof. That first hole... OH MY STARS. The last one, easy peasy. Doesn't matter, there's lots of BIG holes in the roof of Ten Forward... two vents and a power vent. What's a few more dime sizes holes? It's ALL about maintenance.

On one of the forum... someone mentioned hanging a piece of 1" string from any hole through the roof. IF it leaks the string will let you know long before floor rot. Hummm.

I had Ten Forward built Solar Ready, whatever that means... but, I'm not opposed to drilling holes for a solar panel, if the bolts can be hidden in the cabinetry. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #136

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Our current RV is a 52 foot fiberglass trawler, which we had built and have owned for the past 7 years. We now have Maritime for sale and plan to order an Escape 21. Having worked on the boat's commissioning when new and on maintenance all along, I have tried to listen a learn a bit along the way. First off, kudos to ETI for standing behind this problem on all the trailers they built and not just those under warranty! This is really exceptional customer service, and hard to find in this age of throw away crap. On any large FRP boat, numerous holes have been drilled to add equipment, both above and below the waterline. There are sealants that will do a great job, but it takes research to find the proper one for each job. I believe that bolts are the correct solution and leakage an unlikely and minor issue. Hand rails on larger boats that I have seen are bolted on, as is most everything else on a boat deck. I have added structural pad eyes to fiberglass decks by adding an aluminum or stainless backing plate to the inside to distribute the load over a larger area to prevent flexing and subsequent stress cracks in the fiberglass or gelcoat. Gelcoat is not nearly as strong as the underlying FRP, which is why all structural additions on a boat's hull involve grinding off the gelcoat to get a sound surface to bond to. This would have been prohibitively expensive to do for the addition of solar panels, and gel coat cured outside the mold can present its own set of issues. Several folks have brought up fairings as a possible solution to wind tearing off solar panels, but you'd have the same issues attaching the fairings as with the panels. To prevent water intrusion, everything bolted is bedded in a suitable sealant, which is not necessarily the strongest adhesive! Last summer my anchor windlass failed. After retrieving the 120 lb anchor and 100 ft of 7/16" chain by hand, I set about detaching the powder coated aluminum windlass from the gelcoated deck. Some idiot had bedded with 3M 5200 (an adhesive/sealant with 700psi cured strength). It took me 6 hours with a heat gun, wood wedges and a sledge hammer to get the windlass off. No, I did not use the sledge hammer on the windlass. The next day I spent another 10 hours cleaning off the remnants of the 5200 so I could remount it in less permanent bedding material after replacing an end on one of the electric cables. I did not have the proper solvent on hand, but it is quite expensive and only helps with removal of 5200. You do it yourselfers out there might like to read this article in Boat US about choosing the right sealant: Boat Sealants - BoatUS Magazine. When we order our Escape 21 with solar panels, I will go for a raised rack-like frame bolted through the "hull" with adequate backing plates and bedded with a suitable sealant. The bolt holes are nothing to worry about as long as the bolts are in them. Worst case scenario is in 5 or 10 years you might have to remove the bolts to renew the bedding. No big deal. Sounds like the community, with ETI's help, is moving toward a permanent solution that will let everyone with solar panels concentrate on the road ahead rather than looking in the rear view mirror when going down the road!
shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Our current RV is a 52 foot fiberglass trawler, which we had built and have owned for the past 7 years. We now have Maritime for sale and plan to order an Escape 21. Having worked on the boat's commissioning when new and on maintenance all along, I have tried to listen a learn a bit along the way. First off, kudos to ETI for standing behind this problem on all the trailers they built and not just those under warranty! This is really exceptional customer service, and hard to find in this age of throw away crap. On any large FRP boat, numerous holes have been drilled to add equipment, both above and below the waterline. There are sealants that will do a great job, but it takes research to find the proper one for each job. I believe that bolts are the correct solution and leakage an unlikely and minor issue. Hand rails on larger boats that I have seen are bolted on, as is most everything else on a boat deck. I have added structural pad eyes to fiberglass decks by adding an aluminum or stainless backing plate to the inside to distribute the load over a larger area to prevent flexing and subsequent stress cracks in the fiberglass or gelcoat. Gelcoat is not nearly as strong as the underlying FRP, which is why all structural additions on a boat's hull involve grinding off the gelcoat to get a sound surface to bond to. This would have been prohibitively expensive to do for the addition of solar panels, and gel coat cured outside the mold can present its own set of issues. Several folks have brought up fairings as a possible solution to wind tearing off solar panels, but you'd have the same issues attaching the fairings as with the panels. To prevent water intrusion, everything bolted is bedded in a suitable sealant, which is not necessarily the strongest adhesive! Last summer my anchor windlass failed. After retrieving the 120 lb anchor and 100 ft of 7/16" chain by hand, I set about detaching the powder coated aluminum windlass from the gelcoated deck. Some idiot had bedded with 3M 5200 (an adhesive/sealant with 700psi cured strength). It took me 6 hours with a heat gun, wood wedges and a sledge hammer to get the windlass off. No, I did not use the sledge hammer on the windlass. The next day I spent another 10 hours cleaning off the remnants of the 5200 so I could remount it in less permanent bedding material after replacing an end on one of the electric cables. I did not have the proper solvent on hand, but it is quite expensive and only helps with removal of 5200. You do it yourselfers out there might like to read this article in Boat US about choosing the right sealant: Boat Sealants - BoatUS Magazine. When we order our Escape 21 with solar panels, I will go for a raised rack-like frame bolted through the "hull" with adequate backing plates and bedded with a suitable sealant. The bolt holes are nothing to worry about as long as the bolts are in them. Worst case scenario is in 5 or 10 years you might have to remove the bolts to renew the bedding. No big deal. Sounds like the community, with ETI's help, is moving toward a permanent solution that will let everyone with solar panels concentrate on the road ahead rather than looking in the rear view mirror when going down the road!
Thank you so much for the information you have provided . Pat
Old 06-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #138

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Dave

Very well said.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #139

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Just recieved an email from Escape saying they are providing a "solar mail out kit" to all customers who have had solar panels installed as some sort of workaround for this problem. Only had three failures. I wonder if it is a design issue or a manufacturing issue where there was a lapse in standards for those three installations.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #140

See post 87