Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #141

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
bolt locations

We have a 2014-built 19' with a roof-mounted 160-watt solar panel bolted to 2 aluminum U-channels that are presumably epoxied to the roof.

I looked at this today to see what is under the aluminum U-channels on the inside. In other words, where would drilling from the top through the channel penetrate. The only good reference is on the passenger side at the collar where the power wire enters --it is about 1/2" to the outside of the wood strip that supports the overhead cabinet. The passenger-side U-channel is about 3" inboard from that collar. Seems the cleanest solution is to bolt into that cabinet support wood. It provides a reinforced backing, wouldn't be visible, and wouldn't require peeling back ceiling material, plus it avoids the power feed wire that runs inside the overhead cabinet along the ceiling. Those holes would need to be fairly exact, however, and I don't know how well it lines up. I also don't know how precisely the aluminum channels are placed from trailer to trailer. If the U-channel doesn't line up with the cabinet mounting wood, it's possible to make a bracket that fits over the channel and bolt that into the wood.

I'm just hoping this is a clean retrofit with clear instructions on where to drill.

Again, this is the 160-watt panel, so the 90-watt panels may be different.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #142

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bill,
Your larger panel is on the rear of your 19? correct. The smaller panels are between the a/c and MaxxFan amidships.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #143

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your larger panel is on the rear of your 19, correct?
Correct, behind the air conditioner.

My understanding is that the 90-watt panel is smaller, so we'll see what this means for the kits.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #144

In My opinion, in two transversal bars glued to the roof and exactly the same as the original longitudinal bars bolted to the panel are not going to have any need to be removed since they will not affect anything, Au contraire, this will give a good resale value.
Reace installed a transversal bar behind My panel two years ago, it's function is to avoid the roof to sunk due the weight of the solar panel, it worked great! Is not bolted to the panel but is solid as a rock, I am expressing My opinion in something that I can see it works.
To remove the solar panel You will only have to dismount from the aluminum bars. And leave the bars alone.
gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #145

Trailer: none
Do you have pictures?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #146

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Yesterday I received this e-mail from ETI:

Hello Pat,
Escape Trailer Industries has recently become aware that their method of installation for the solar panel may fail over time. Within the past two years we have had three solar panels blow off of a customer’s trailer.
As of June 8, 2015, we have re-designed the installation of the Solar Panel to a bolt on system. This will be applied to all trailers currently in production as well as any future trailer entering production.
Escape Trailer Industries is currently working on a mail-out kit which will be sent out to all Escape owners who have had the Solar Panel installed in their trailer.
Please provide us with your current mailing address and we will forward one of these kits shortly. We will have them ready for mail out by June 30, 2015.
Just a note...if you have adjusted your solar panel after production, I would definitely add some bolts before you hit the road. Any panel we installed that was asked to be raised higher than our standard was installed with bolts.
Sincerely,
Reace & Tammy Harmatiuk
Escape Trailer Industries Ltd
Chilliwack, British Columbia
TEL 604 703 1650/FAX 604.703.1651
info@escapetrailer.com

Could there be a better company than ETI? On June 1st FMLNM started this thread, by June 8th ETI redesigned the installation to a bolt on system and by June 30th they'll be sending a kit to all Escape owners who've had the solar panel installed.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #147
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Got the same email Pat. Once again ETI proves they are a customer service oriented company.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #148

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post

Hello Pat,
Escape Trailer Industries has recently become aware that their method of installation for the solar panel may fail over time. Within the past two years we have had three solar panels blow off of a customer’s trailer.
As of June 8, 2015, we have re-designed the installation of the Solar Panel to a bolt on system. This will be applied to all trailers currently in production as well as any future trailer entering production.
Escape Trailer Industries is currently working on a mail-out kit which will be sent out to all Escape owners who have had the Solar Panel installed in their trailer.
Please provide us with your current mailing address and we will forward one of these kits shortly. We will have them ready for mail out by June 30, 2015.
Just a note...if you have adjusted your solar panel after production, I would definitely add some bolts before you hit the road. Any panel we installed that was asked to be raised higher than our standard was installed with bolts.
Sincerely,
Reace & Tammy Harmatiuk
info@escapetrailer.com

Could there be a better company than ETI? On June 1st FMLNM started this thread, by June 8th ETI redesigned the installation to a bolt on system and by June 30th they'll be sending a kit to all Escape owners who've had the solar panel installed.
Hi Pat . I totally agree with you about Escape being a great company and them taking care of problems . They have for me too .I think with their growth now and it happens with all companies . It is hard to oversee all your employees . I sure would like the solar install but for me I need to see that the panels pulling off are really solved . I love my trailer and am not unhappy I bought it .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #149

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Got the same email Pat. Once again ETI proves they are a customer service oriented company.
I would agree and be impressed if ETI would offer to pay for the installation for those of us that may not be able to install the solar panel modification. I guess that we will have to wait to see what "the mail-out kit fix" requires since the instructions have not been posted.
HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all that qualify !!
Old 06-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #150
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I would agree and be impressed if ETI would offer to pay for the installation for those of us that may not be able to install the solar panel modification. I guess that we will have to wait to see what "the mail-out kit fix" requires since the instructions have not been posted.
HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all that qualify !!
My thoughts exactly. If it's drilling a couple holes and bolting things up I can surely do it myself, but we won't know until we get the kits.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Do you have pictures?
the pics requested, This idea from Reace was pure genius.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1003.jpg   IMG_1006.jpg   IMG_1004.jpg  
Old 06-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post

Hello Pat,
Sincerely,
Reace & Tammy Harmatiuk
info@escapetrailer.com

With all confidence I say that there is not better Company than Escape Trailer Industries, Behind this Company are Reace and Tammy, and this is what makes Escape Trailers a desireable purchase, I Myself offer to pay for the fix for My solar panel.
My solidarity and gratitude to Reace and Tammy, They always are wonderful. A rare gem to find this days.

Gerardo.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #153

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I sort of agree too, we don't know what the kit will include or what the installation will involve and I, for one, probably wouldn't attempt anything that would include drilling into my egg, (drill once and curse twice). I'm one whose lucky to be close enough to ETI that a trip up there wouldn't be out of the question and could be part of a couple mods I'd like done.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #154

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclatz View Post
the pics requested, This idea from Reace was pure genius.
What model of Escape do you own ? The 1" square metal tubing appears to be epoxied to the gel coat. The same technique that has resulted in solar panel mounting failure.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #155
Site Team

Regarding the Repair kit...

This post from Reace better explains the repair process:

"The larger 150/160 watt panels which are now mounted on the rear of the roof are a relatively easy install as the panel is large enough that the bolt on brackets will bolt through the shell inside the rear side overhead compartments."

Good to know I can most likely do it myself.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
What model of Escape do you own ? The 1" square metal tubing appears to be epoxied to the gel coat. The same technique that has resulted in solar panel mounting failure.
2011 and yes is glued to the gel coat Behind the solar p. Not in front.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #157
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Looks like an air dam to keep wind from getting beneath the panel to me.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #158

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I agree that bolting is the safest way to go. Having had several boats in cold climates with equipment bolted through the deck, one thing that can occur is condensation forming and dripping. Covering the exposed end can cure that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #159

Latest update - after Reace's post yesterday we are now working on Escape to install our solar we always wanted. I had a feeling Reace would get this taken care of . And it was done very quickly . He listened and responded . Show he cares about his product . Pat
Old 06-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Looks like an air dam to keep wind from getting beneath the panel to me.
Good Call ! Pat