Placement of EMS surge protector in 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Placement of EMS surge protector in 17B

My husband is installing an EMS surge protector in our 17B. Is there anyone who had it factory installed who could tell us (or show us) where their remote display is mounted?
We're looking at directions from Myron....thanks for posting!
Kim and Howard
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
My husband is installing an EMS surge protector in our 17B. Is there anyone who had it factory installed who could tell us (or show us) where their remote display is mounted?
We're looking at directions from Myron....thanks for posting!
Kim and Howard
It is installed anywhere between the cable entry into the trailer, and the converter. I know on my 5.0TA they mounted the display on the front of a dinette bench, which I find quite low to be able to read.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You may not want to see the EMS when lying in bed as it is going through the numbers all of the time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #4

That is a great point. I have already covered up the controls for the fridge - too much light at night.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I found this photo of a 17. It appears the stock location of the EMS display is on the lower driver's side dinette bench at the rear of the trailer. Seems like a reasonable spot. I guess I have to question though why this needs to be visible in the trailer. If it is just for status/display of EMS error codes can't it be mounted under the dinette bench?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1450.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 AM   #6

I used to plug in the electric and then go to the door of the 19' where I could see the EMS to check that the electric was working properly. Can't do that with the 21' because they have mounted it such that I have to go inside to see it.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #7

Hi, this is the husband mentioned it the original post. Does anyone know where Escape would have located the surge protector/EMS (in the 17B) if we'd had it installed? I assume it goes under the seat where the shore power cable is stowed but it seems pretty tight in there and am wondering how they placed it.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is near the driver side rear where the power cord connection is located, a black box inside.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
Hi, this is the husband mentioned it the original post. Does anyone know where Escape would have located the surge protector/EMS (in the 17B) if we'd had it installed? I assume it goes under the seat where the shore power cable is stowed but it seems pretty tight in there and am wondering how they placed it.
In our 2015 17A, the EMS is under the driver's side dinette bench next to the converter. The remote screen is at the front end of that bench on the vertical panel. See the little black rectangular panel in the build photo. It's easy enough to see, and has never been a problem("leg-catching device").

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
ETI now puts the display inside the dinette bench. Apparently they had too many complaints about the continuous light, and also they said it was a big hassle if the wire to the remote display got damaged, which I assume is rare but costly to fix. I didn't ask, but I suspect they may now use the Progressive Industries unit that doesn't have a remote display. This is what I preferred anyways, so I was happy with the change. It should be rare to need to access this item, unless you have a generator and wish to ignore the warning about it not being grounded properly.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #11

We use the EMS constantly to see the amount of amps being used so as not to trip. One can always note the amounts for different items. We use it every single time we set up to see that the electric pedestal has no problems. The little testers are not always right and only have certain things. We have been shut down quite a few times by the EMS for various problems caused by storms or the pedestal.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always observed my readout, particularly at new cg's to determine their voltage coming into my trailer. If it was low before the heat kicked in, I knew there well may be issues later in the days once the a/c's were activated. similarly I like seeing the -0- error message, again indicating proper wiring. Otherwise one needs to see any error code if the power is disrupted or does not allow to enter the trailer.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We have a 17B and it is at the back end of the drivers side bench just across from where the shorepower cable enters. We don't have a remote. Haven't needed it as far as I know. We only plug in about one in ten stops and no problems. Come to think of it, that's it's job. I've had the seat open and seen the readouts that it displays. Just normal electricity stuff. Camped for years in a unit without anything more than a breaker on the incoming line. I remember resetting it once. Other than the air conditioner everything is 12 volts. Well the 12 volt battery charger as well I guess. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
ETI now puts the display inside the dinette bench. Apparently they had too many complaints about the continuous light, and also they said it was a big hassle if the wire to the remote display got damaged, which I assume is rare but costly to fix. I didn't ask, but I suspect they may now use the Progressive Industries unit that doesn't have a remote display. This is what I preferred anyways, so I was happy with the change. It should be rare to need to access this item, unless you have a generator and wish to ignore the warning about it not being grounded properly.
On our just-completed 17B the remote panel is still mounted on the dinette.

I wouldn't favor putting it under the bench because we have the rear dinette setup as a bed so it's difficult to get under the driver-side bench. I think a lot of 17B owners do that so I would be surprised if ETI makes that change.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2811.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
On our just-completed 17B the remote panel is still mounted on the dinette.

I wouldn't favor putting it under the bench because we have the rear dinette setup as a bed so it's difficult to get under the driver-side bench. I think a lot of 17B owners do that so I would be surprised if ETI makes that change.
It seems I was mistaken. I looked back at my email from ETI and they said it would be "on" the dinette bench instead of "in". Sorry for the confusion.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote