Prewire for stereo - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Prewire for stereo

My Escape 21 came prewired for stereo. Where is this wiring? I can see red/black wiring running down the ceiling inside the curbside upper rear cabinet. That's obviously power for something. There are coils of gray wire at each end of the rear cabinet. What is this? Speaker wire?

I need to get power to that back cabinet for a backup camera. I could tap into an interior light as a last resort, but I'd rather use the wiring for the stereo since it's exposed, somewhere.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
My Escape 21 came prewired for stereo. Where is this wiring? I can see red/black wiring running down the ceiling inside the curbside upper rear cabinet. That's obviously power for something. There are coils of gray wire at each end of the rear cabinet. What is this? Speaker wire?

I need to get power to that back cabinet for a backup camera. I could tap into an interior light as a last resort, but I'd rather use the wiring for the stereo since it's exposed, somewhere.
Red & Black should be 12 volt. Gray should be the speaker wires.

You may have to hook you the other end of the 12 volt to a power supply depending on if ETI connected it (most times they do not if its a prewire). You should find the other end in the dinette somewhere on a 21. Test it to see if it has power.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Okay. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not for a camera, but I tapped into the dinette passengers side reading light if you have one. Easy to access and close to where you want to go.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #5

The thick red and black wires that run inside the upper cabinets of the trailer's curb side appear to be for the upper taillights, and as such they aren't powered when the trailer is unhitched. So I can't use those for power.

For others whose trailer was "wired for stereo": does this include only the gray speaker wire, or are there also power/ground wires included in this option? If so, where are they?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't know about the 21 but on the 5.0TA there is an existing 12v set of wires exposed in the cabinet where the speaker wires terminate. In my case the small upper cabinet to the front of the trailer next to the door. Which I think is where your bathroom and the little cubbies are.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We are pre-wired for stereo but I don't know that we ever looked at it. I think I asked though as to where and was told the upper cabinet above the drawer stack. You might find it there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The thick red and black wires that run inside the upper cabinets of the trailer's curb side appear to be for the upper taillights, and as such they aren't powered when the trailer is unhitched. So I can't use those for power.

For others whose trailer was "wired for stereo": does this include only the gray speaker wire, or are there also power/ground wires included in this option? If so, where are they?

Like Cathy said, by the thermostat.

I looked at my '14 and there is no 12v power there. Which lines up with a convo I had with Reace about bringing power in from the lights at the head of the bed. Or stringing from the driver's side main power panel. Or getting creative if one has the cigarette plug in the short stack of drawers.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote