It seems the environment is not pure enough for these wide band sniffers to function properly. If they detect fumes from other sources they are not really ready for prime time. If battery acid sets it off move the detector away from the battery. If formaldehyde from paneling and plywood sets it off move the detector outside
I remember when GFCI circuit interrupters first came out. They were false tripped by lunar phasing, fog, and gravitational pull. We couldn't use them. Smoke detectors followed the same way, with millions of users disconnecting them. Technology marches along and at a certain point the item becomes usable or becomes obsolete. The idea of a propane gas detector is a sound one that could potentially save many lives, but it has to function without creating a burden for the user. In a fixed land based home the plumbing can be tested when completed and for the most part will function indefinitely. Our moving homes are rockin and a rollin, so you can envision leaks developing over time. Perhaps we should have two detectors armed all the time until one acts up. If both act up you better investigate why. I would also keep batteries away from the detectors. Acid could corrode the sensor, not just false alarm.
Our home CO alarm recently went bad and needs replacement. I guess those sensors get contaminated and act up. Our furnace is 39 years old, so the detector is a good idea, or maybe a necessity.