Propane changeover regulator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Propane changeover regulator

We have a 2018 5.0 and guess what the regulator is stuck showing red. Worked fine till one tank was empty, moved black levers to full tank and no green showed up. Filled empty tank and tried turning both tanks on at same time still showing red. This is very not good when you are off the grid and relying on propane fridge, stove and water heater. Calling Escape in morning hopefully they can send me a new regulator. Wondering if i should just replace with the old reliable regulator. when one tank is empty just close valve and open valve on full tank.
Bob and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Is your regulator not supplying propane to the trailer? Is the red-yellow-green indicator just not working? Most of those indicators are not very reliable.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Try turning off the propane, disconnect the tanks, turn on the stove to bleed off any propane pressure in the system then tap gently on the indicator, shut of the stove, hook up the tanks and try again.
This happened to me once with my previous 19 then worked flawlessly after that. I just wrote it off as one of those things in life that makes you go hmmm.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Changepver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Is your regulator not supplying propane to the trailer? Is the red-yellow-green indicator just not working? Most of those indicators are not very reliable.
I believe our regulator indicator works fine but I haven’t really ever relied on it. Indicators on the tanks are also available. For the way we camp, we are out a week or two and when we get back I pull both tanks off and take them to the hardware store where he fills them back up. Many times my #1 tank will be low but not empty and the other one still full. I have a third 11 lb tank along for my stove and Weber so if i would run out on the two bigger ones I could get through the night if need on the third small tank. Hasn’t happened in 7 Escape seasons so I’m not too worried about the indicators. Certainly not to the point of replacing the regulator.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
another regulator failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Susie View Post
We have a 2018 5.0 and guess what the regulator is stuck showing red. Worked fine till one tank was empty, moved black levers to full tank and no green showed up. Filled empty tank and tried turning both tanks on at same time still showing red. This is very not good when you are off the grid and relying on propane fridge, stove and water heater. Calling Escape in morning hopefully they can send me a new regulator. Wondering if i should just replace with the old reliable regulator. when one tank is empty just close valve and open valve on full tank.
It's worth checking the green knobs that connect the pigtail to the tank -- they need to be tightened enough to engage the tank valve.

That said, we had a similar issue with our 19' picked up October 2018. The regulator worked fine until the first tank was empty, but would not switch to the second full tank. I moved the full tank to where the empty tank was, and it fed propane, so we continued on our trip. The second time this happened, the regulator again would not feed from the same side that failed before, so again I moved the full tank to the other side and it worked. The third time this happened, the regulator would not feed from either side. I did some troubleshooting requested by Escape, but could not get either tank to feed. Escape then send a new regulator, which so far has worked, but we've only used it a few nights.

Escape explained to me that the new Marshall Brass MEGR-253 regulators should auto-switch to the full tank without moving the lever. Apparently the lever only selects the tank that the gauge is reporting and does not affect which tank is supplying the propane (I did not know this).

We never had trouble with the old-style regulator Escape used on our 2014 19', so I asked them if they were having trouble with the new regulators, and they said no. But maybe something is up.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

Thanks for all the help. We pulled into the driveway this afternoon opened both tanks and the green line showed up. Regulator working fine right now but I don't trust it think I will need to talk to ETI about a replacement.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I changed out my regulator early this year, only two years old. Not the same issue as the OP, but it would not switch tanks once the first one was drained, I had to switch the tanks around myself. Works great now though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
It's worth checking the green knobs that connect the pigtail to the tank -- they need to be tightened enough to engage the tank valve.
Bill R
After having my original pigtails replaced, one side behaved as if the regulator was not working - no gas would flow. Turned out that the green knob ( I think properly called an Acme Nut) required a death grip and mighty effort to properly seal. Since replaced and my problem solved.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
.. the green knob ( I think properly called an Acme Nut)...
The squared-off thread used on the outside of current propane tank connections, and so on the inside of that knob or nut, is known as an ACME thread... thus one of the names. Most formally, it would be a QCC-1 coupling nut.
The green colour indicates the maximum flow rate (400,000 BTU/hr), as determined by an orifice in the fitting. Black is lower flow, and I think blue is higher. Black would be enough for an Escape's built-in appliances, but green is used to ensure adequate flow in adverse conditions or with use of the external low-pressure outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Contacted ETI today and they are sending me out a new regulator. Excellent customer service and very nice folks to talk to. Thanks for all the great advice. Escape owners are the BEST.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Susie View Post
Contacted ETI today and they are sending me out a new regulator. Excellent customer service and very nice folks to talk to. Thanks for all the great advice. Escape owners are the BEST.
That's great, and an easy job to do. I bet all is well after this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote