Propane gauge still only works on 1 side right? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Propane gauge still only works on 1 side right?

Just want to double check that the green gauge is still only showing for 1 of the tanks in '17 trailers, correct?... don't want to be caught in cold without propane on both sides.

Thanks
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The red/green indication on the auto-changeover propane regulator normally indicates whether or not the selected (or "primary") tank - the one you have the lever pointed to - has pressure (and so must have propane). The details depend on the regulator model (the regulator model provided by Escape doesn't depend on the trailer model but can change at any time), but in any case the idea is that red shows you that the device has switched over and you will likely need to refill the selected tank.

The is the Operation section of the manual for a common brand and model of these regulators (Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253):
Quote:
Ensure that the regulator has been mounted with the vent
pointing downward so that water or debris cannot gather in the
regulator. Place one of the two cylinders in “primary” by
switching the black changeover lever in the direction of the
selected cylinder. The arrow on the lever will denote the
“primary” side. Open both cylinder valves slowly. The indicator
on the top of the regulator will turn green.
The “primary” side of the regulator will continue to supply gas as
long as sufficient gas is present in the “primary” cylinder. When
pressure in the cylinder drops below a designated pressure, the
“reserve” side will open and continue to primary gas to the
regulator. At the time that the “primary” cylinder becomes
exhausted, the indicator on the changeover lever will turn red
indicating a cylinder change can be made.
To go ahead and refill the now-empty cylinder...
Quote:
Prior to removing the empty cylinder, position the black
changeover lever so that it points to the alternate cylinder that is
now supplying the regulator. Close the valve on the empty
cylinder and remove. After the empty cylinder is refilled and
reconnected, slowly open the cylinder valve. The new cylinder is
now the reserve cylinder. The indicator at the top of the regulator
will turn green.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Thanks Brian!
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
only way to know for sure how much propane is in a tank is to disconnect it, remove it, and weigh it, then subtract the 'tare weight' stamped on the tank. that will tell you EXACTLY how much propane you have in said tank.

(yes, I know this is a couple month old thread, just wanted to clarify this)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
only way to know for sure how much propane is in a tank is to disconnect it, remove it, and weigh it, then subtract the 'tare weight' stamped on the tank. that will tell you EXACTLY how much propane you have in said tank.

(yes, I know this is a couple month old thread, just wanted to clarify this)
I bought one of these last October. It lets me tell how much propane is in each tank from an app on my iPhone. It seems to work -- at least it was accurate when I refilled one tank. But obviously I can't speak to the long term worth of the product.

The impetus for buying these was forgetting that I had already used up the propane in the tank that wasn't being used. So when the current tank went to empty, the switchover didn't happen. Fortunately I have a 3lb tank that I use for the Weber Que, and that got us through a mildly chilly night.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
In the FWIW category, Costco was selling these propane tanks a few months ago, with built-in gauges. I have no idea how they work, since it appears to be some sort of sensing device only attached by plastic clamps. Nor do I know how accurate they are. I bought a couple to use with my propane smoker, but have entertained thoughts they might be useful on the trailer.

It took me three years of trailer use to go through the first propane tank, and only then because we were using the heater constantly on our week-long Christmas trip. Most of our usage is the reefer, and it's downright parsimonious in using propane.
Attached Thumbnails
propane tank guage.JPG  
Old 01-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
In the FWIW category, Costco was selling these propane tanks a few months ago, with built-in gauges. I have no idea how they work, since it appears to be some sort of sensing device only attached by plastic clamps. Nor do I know how accurate they are. I bought a couple to use with my propane smoker, but have entertained thoughts they might be useful on the trailer.
those gauges have a float in the tank, much like a gas tank in a car.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
In the FWIW category, Costco was selling these propane tanks a few months ago, with built-in gauges. I have no idea how they work, since it appears to be some sort of sensing device only attached by plastic clamps. Nor do I know how accurate they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
those gauges have a float in the tank, much like a gas tank in a car.
Yes, the float is the same one which operates the Overfill Prevention Device. The needle in the dial is coupled to the float arm by a magnet which works though the brass body of the valve (with no hole and so no seal), so the dial housing is just clamped on the outside. The tanks I've seen in Costco are from Worthington, but the Manchester Tank equivalent actually has a clip-on removable dial (so it can be replaced) - when the dial is removed the only evidence of the gauge is a small round depression machined into the valve body.

They actually measure level (rather than pressure), and are accurate enough to be useful.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I bought one of these last October. It lets me tell how much propane is in each tank from an app on my iPhone. It seems to work -- at least it was accurate when I refilled one tank. But obviously I can't speak to the long term worth of the product.

The impetus for buying these was forgetting that I had already used up the propane in the tank that wasn't being used. So when the current tank went to empty, the switchover didn't happen. Fortunately I have a 3lb tank that I use for the Weber Que, and that got us through a mildly chilly night.
2 up on you, Leon. I know I'm capable of forgetting to check on the red, and/or forgetting that I SAW red. But I am also capable of not opening the second tank because "surely I won't need that tonight", and then having to do so in PJ's at 2AM, at 30F. Not only that, but I can easily space out on checking an available app. That's why I clicked your link and looked, unsuccessfully, for a dummy alarm feature. Do you know if I just overlooked it?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
That's why I clicked your link and looked, unsuccessfully, for a dummy alarm feature. Do you know if I just overlooked it?
Their video says the app has an alarm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SdYAjDtfmds

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote