Propane Low Flow Quick Connect questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: Casita 17' (sold) .... 2017-21' Escape forthcoming !!!
Posts: 704
Question Propane Low Flow Quick Connect questions

Hi all

Im new to all this Propane Low Flow Quick Connect stuff - been reading lots of threads....

I own both a Camco 58035 "Big Red Campfire" Propane Camp Fire and also a Camp Chef Ranger 2

2017 21' being picked up in winter.... getting all the bits ready for 2017.

I ordered the optional Escape Low Flow propane Quick Connect - that comes with a 12 hose.
It is my understanding that it comes with a 12 hose that will have a 3/8" flare female on one end (that I can connect right to my "Big Red Campfire, after I remove its included hose and regulator that Ill set aside.

Ill wrap that 12 hose around the base of the Campfire in a Can, so im set there.

On the Camp Chef Ranger 2 It looks as if Id want to get a 90 degree elbow, to make it easier to stow in a bin, and also an adaptor - a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect.. so I can take the QC hose on and off for easy storage.

Questions

one) will this 90 degree adaptor work? Looks as if it will. (to leave on the Ranger 2 stove.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYLUEZ4

two) I looked and looked - could not find on Amazon a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (that I was confident would work)

I found this, but Im not confident itll work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXSME/

thoughts?

I could go to my local home Depot, but it is horrible and id spend an hour with zero (helpful or present) staff trying to find it and they might well not have it. This is L.A. after all.

three) If we want the Campfire in can more than 12 away, is it OK to serial daisy chain a QC hose and a Camco QC male/female extension? to get 22 feet total.

four) I need to use some PTFE Gas Line Pipe Thread Tape, correct? When making the connections. To avoid leaks.

five) Where do people store their stove for travel?

Well be getting a folding table for all this (Thanks Greg A for the idea!) we hope to store that under the bed lift-up-flap on our 21.. maybe we could also store the stove there for travel? I guess that would be a bit more secure than the front storage box - ?

thanks.
John
__________________

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 2,827
Different fire ring but this is what I have. The elbow you show would be the wrong gender for my setup.

And yes, you can daisy chain them although the 12'er has been enough for us.

I used the yellow gas line tape.

My fireplace goes in the back of the truck, use a butane stove so can't help with storing the stove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire.jpg (69.8 KB, 16 views)
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
...On the Camp Chef Ranger 2 It looks as if I’d want to get a 90 degree elbow, to make it easier to stow in a bin, and also an adaptor - a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect….. so I can take the QC hose on and off for easy storage.

Questions

one) will this 90 degree adaptor work? Looks as if it will. (to leave on the Ranger 2 stove.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYLUEZ4
That elbow looks appropriate. I don't think I've ever seen that combination before - it could be handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
two) I looked and looked - could not find on Amazon a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (that I was confident would work)

I found this, but I’m not confident it’ll work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXSME/

thoughts?

I could go to my local home Depot, but it is horrible and i’d spend an hour with zero (helpful or present) staff trying to find it… and they might well not have it. This is L.A. after all.
That's a female quick-connect, for the end of a hose. It doesn't even say what is on the other end (it could be a female pipe thread, or perhaps a female flare), but it certainly isn't a male quick-connect.

I've never found a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (to convert an appliance to quick-connect operation) in a single fitting, and while a few of us have put this together (using different combinations of components), I haven't seen anyone else find it in a single part, either.

Home Depot here does have some useful fittings for propane, but the selection is poor compared to RV and barbecue/grill supply businesses... especially in quick-connect fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
three) If we want the Campfire in can more than 12’ away, is it OK to serial daisy chain a QC hose and a Camco QC male/female extension? to get 22 feet total.
Probably yes. There's nothing unsafe about any chain of compatible hoses and connectors, but this is typically only 1/4" hose and a particularly long run might be too restrictive to run the high-flow Campfire in a Can properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
four) I need to use some PTFE Gas Line Pipe Thread Tape, correct? When making the connections. To avoid leaks.
Yes, only on pipe thread connections (not flare connections). The seal of a tapered pipe thread fitting is the seal, and needs tape or paste to seal properly (except for the "dry seal" version not used by RVs); in contrast, the seal of a flare fitting is at the mating of the smooth cone and flared seat with the threads used only to mechanically clamp the parts together.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: Casita 17' (sold) .... 2017-21' Escape forthcoming !!!
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That elbow looks appropriate. I don't think I've ever seen that combination before - it could be handy.


That's a female quick-connect, for the end of a hose. It doesn't even say what is on the other end (it could be a female pipe thread, or perhaps a female flare), but it certainly isn't a male quick-connect.

I've never found a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (to convert an appliance to quick-connect operation) in a single fitting, and while a few of us have put this together (using different combinations of components), I haven't seen anyone else find it in a single part, either.

Home Depot here does have some useful fittings for propane, but the selection is poor compared to RV and barbecue/grill supply businesses... especially in quick-connect fittings.


Probably yes. There's nothing unsafe about any chain of compatible hoses and connectors, but this is typically only 1/4" hose and a particularly long run might be too restrictive to run the high-flow Campfire in a Can properly.


Yes, only on pipe thread connections (not flare connections). The seal of a tapered pipe thread fitting is the seal, and needs tape or paste to seal properly (except for the "dry seal" version not used by RVs); in contrast, the seal of a flare fitting is at the mating of the smooth cone and flared seat with the threads used only to mechanically clamp the parts together.
Thanks Brian for all the great info.



Ok so I'll likely get the 90 degree elbow (listed above) but I'm having a devil of a time getting from

to this "Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HG7WUQ

so I guess a 1/4 female flare to 3/8 female flare (1/4 female npt to 3/8 female npt) adapter is what I would need.



cant find one anywhere on the internet to buy
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
... but I'm having a devil of a time getting from

to this "Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HG7WUQ

so I guess a 1/4 female flare to 3/8 female flare (1/4 female npt to 3/8 female npt) adapter is what I would need.



cant find one anywhere on the internet to buy
Typically the appliance has a 3/8" male flare end, so the first part of whatever screws onto it must be 3/8" female flare. At the other end, there must be a male quick-connect, which comes with either a male 1/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread) end, or a female 1/4" NPT end, so that end of the adapting bits needs to end with either gender of 1/4" NPT. So if the quick-connect always comes with only a 1/4" NPT on the other side, the overall adapter needed is either
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT female, or
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT male
I have not found either of these as a single part; you need to change from flare to NPT, you need to change sizes, and you need to get the right gender. I showed the parts I used in another topic (still looking for the link), and Jim Bennett showed his (assembled) in Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - post #99
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: Casita 17' (sold) .... 2017-21' Escape forthcoming !!!
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Typically the appliance has a 3/8" male flare end, so the first part of whatever screws onto it must be 3/8" female flare. At the other end, there must be a male quick-connect, which comes with either a male 1/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread) end, or a female 1/4" NPT end, so that end of the adapting bits needs to end with either gender of 1/4" NPT. So if the quick-connect always comes with only a 1/4" NPT on the other side, the overall adapter needed is either
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT female, or
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT male
I have not found either of these as a single part; you need to change from flare to NPT, you need to change sizes, and you need to get the right gender. I showed the parts I used in another topic (still looking for the link), and Jim Bennett showed his (assembled) in Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - post #99
Thanks, as always, Brian....

With some Google Image searching - i think i found a suitable short pigtail that would do what I want to do..... maybe?

I'm still confused as to how flare is different than NPT.... more research needed...


This is the 90 degree I'd like to put on my Camp Ranger 2.... and leave it there (to make easier to fit into a plastic bin)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYLUEZ4

than permanently leave this pig tail on, then use my 10" male-female low flow Camco Quick Connect extension, to get into The Escape....

Here is a link - scroll down to get to the right part. No direct web link to it...

https://gashosesandregulators.com/Pr...onnect-Hose/50

100304-12 - RV Low Pressure Quick Disconnect 12" Pig Tail Hose

● Pressure rating of 1/2 PSI Max.
● The 100304-12 "PIGTAIL" is a 12",1/4" ID hose with a Sturgis Couple- Safe Model 250 gas quick disconnect male plug and a 3/8" female gas flare fitting.
● For use with 100395 series hoses.
● Add a pigtail to all your low pressure propane outdoor appliences to make
connecting and disconnecting them so simple.
● Dust cap included.
● Not Compatible with 1/4" High Pressure Quick Disconnect fittings.

Wt. 3 oz. Free shipping within the 48 contiguous U.S. States.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 1,388
Overcomplicating the job. The camp chef is very easy to hook up. 1/4 RV QC male
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-P...+quick+connect
take it to ACE, Home Depot, Lowes and get a 3/8 female to 1/4 female reducer Go home put the reducer and the male QC together, you'll need yellow gas tape for this connection, screw it on the camp chef and done. I didn't need the 90 elbow, but if one wants add that to the setup it should be simple.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I showed the parts I used in another topic...
Found it: Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - post #181

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Overcomplicating the job. The camp chef is very easy to hook up. 1/4 RV QC male
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-P...+quick+connect
take it to ACE, Home Depot, Lowes and get a 3/8 female to 1/4 female reducer Go home put the reducer and the male QC together, you'll need yellow gas tape for this connection, screw it on the camp chef and done. I didn't need the 90 elbow, but if one wants add that to the setup it should be simple.
Great if the Camp Chef you're using has a pipe-thread inlet. Most grills seem to have a flare inlet, and since no one seems to be able to find single adapter with right combination of ends, it takes two parts in addition to the 1/4" NPT x male QC (the bit shown on Amazon), rather than just one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
... permanently leave this pig tail on, then use my 10" male-female low flow Camco Quick Connect extension, to get into The Escape....

Here is a link - scroll down to get to the right part. No direct web link to it...

https://gashosesandregulators.com/Pr...onnect-Hose/50

100304-12 - RV Low Pressure Quick Disconnect 12" Pig Tail Hose
That's fine. You can also skip the hose and just use the brass fittings so the male quick-connect is right on the appliance, as Greg and I are suggesting.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.