Propane Low Flow Quick Connect questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Propane Low Flow Quick Connect questions

Hi all

I’m new to all this Propane Low Flow Quick Connect stuff - been reading lots of threads....

I own both a Camco 58035 "Big Red Campfire" Propane Camp Fire and also a Camp Chef Ranger 2

2017 21' being picked up in winter.... getting all the bits ready for 2017.

I ordered the optional Escape Low Flow propane Quick Connect - that comes with a 12’ hose.
It is my understanding that it comes with a 12’ hose that will have a 3/8" flare female on one end (that I can connect right to my "Big Red Campfire”, after I remove it’s included hose and regulator that I’ll set aside.

I’ll wrap that 12’ hose around the base of the Campfire in a Can, so i’m set there.

On the Camp Chef Ranger 2 It looks as if I’d want to get a 90 degree elbow, to make it easier to stow in a bin, and also an adaptor - a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect….. so I can take the QC hose on and off for easy storage.

Questions

one) will this 90 degree adaptor work? Looks as if it will. (to leave on the Ranger 2 stove.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYLUEZ4

two) I looked and looked - could not find on Amazon a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (that I was confident would work)

I found this, but I’m not confident it’ll work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXSME/

thoughts?

I could go to my local home Depot, but it is horrible and i’d spend an hour with zero (helpful or present) staff trying to find it… and they might well not have it. This is L.A. after all.

three) If we want the Campfire in can more than 12’ away, is it OK to serial daisy chain a QC hose and a Camco QC male/female extension? to get 22 feet total.

four) I need to use some PTFE Gas Line Pipe Thread Tape, correct? When making the connections. To avoid leaks.

five) Where do people store their stove for travel?

We’ll be getting a folding table for all this (Thanks Greg A for the idea!) we hope to store that under the bed lift-up-flap on our 21’….. maybe we could also store the stove there for travel? I guess that would be a bit more secure than the front storage box - ?

thanks.
John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Different fire ring but this is what I have. The elbow you show would be the wrong gender for my setup.

And yes, you can daisy chain them although the 12'er has been enough for us.

I used the yellow gas line tape.

My fireplace goes in the back of the truck, use a butane stove so can't help with storing the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
fire.jpg  
Old 10-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
...On the Camp Chef Ranger 2 It looks as if I’d want to get a 90 degree elbow, to make it easier to stow in a bin, and also an adaptor - a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect….. so I can take the QC hose on and off for easy storage.

Questions

one) will this 90 degree adaptor work? Looks as if it will. (to leave on the Ranger 2 stove.)

That elbow looks appropriate. I don't think I've ever seen that combination before - it could be handy.

Quote:
two) I looked and looked - could not find on Amazon a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (that I was confident would work)

I found this, but I’m not confident it’ll work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXSME/

thoughts?

I could go to my local home Depot, but it is horrible and i’d spend an hour with zero (helpful or present) staff trying to find it… and they might well not have it. This is L.A. after all.
That's a female quick-connect, for the end of a hose. It doesn't even say what is on the other end (it could be a female pipe thread, or perhaps a female flare), but it certainly isn't a male quick-connect.

I've never found a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (to convert an appliance to quick-connect operation) in a single fitting, and while a few of us have put this together (using different combinations of components), I haven't seen anyone else find it in a single part, either.

Home Depot here does have some useful fittings for propane, but the selection is poor compared to RV and barbecue/grill supply businesses... especially in quick-connect fittings.

Quote:
three) If we want the Campfire in can more than 12’ away, is it OK to serial daisy chain a QC hose and a Camco QC male/female extension? to get 22 feet total.
Probably yes. There's nothing unsafe about any chain of compatible hoses and connectors, but this is typically only 1/4" hose and a particularly long run might be too restrictive to run the high-flow Campfire in a Can properly.

Quote:
four) I need to use some PTFE Gas Line Pipe Thread Tape, correct? When making the connections. To avoid leaks.
Yes, only on pipe thread connections (not flare connections). The seal of a tapered pipe thread fitting is the seal, and needs tape or paste to seal properly (except for the "dry seal" version not used by RVs); in contrast, the seal of a flare fitting is at the mating of the smooth cone and flared seat with the threads used only to mechanically clamp the parts together.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That elbow looks appropriate. I don't think I've ever seen that combination before - it could be handy.

That's a female quick-connect, for the end of a hose. It doesn't even say what is on the other end (it could be a female pipe thread, or perhaps a female flare), but it certainly isn't a male quick-connect.

I've never found a 3/8" flare female to Male Quick Connect (to convert an appliance to quick-connect operation) in a single fitting, and while a few of us have put this together (using different combinations of components), I haven't seen anyone else find it in a single part, either.

Home Depot here does have some useful fittings for propane, but the selection is poor compared to RV and barbecue/grill supply businesses... especially in quick-connect fittings.

Probably yes. There's nothing unsafe about any chain of compatible hoses and connectors, but this is typically only 1/4" hose and a particularly long run might be too restrictive to run the high-flow Campfire in a Can properly.

Yes, only on pipe thread connections (not flare connections). The seal of a tapered pipe thread fitting is the seal, and needs tape or paste to seal properly (except for the "dry seal" version not used by RVs); in contrast, the seal of a flare fitting is at the mating of the smooth cone and flared seat with the threads used only to mechanically clamp the parts together.
Thanks Brian for all the great info.

Ok so I'll likely get the 90 degree elbow (listed above) but I'm having a devil of a time getting from

to this "Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HG7WUQ

so I guess a 1/4 female flare to 3/8 female flare (1/4 female npt to 3/8 female npt) adapter is what I would need.

cant find one anywhere on the internet to buy
Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
... but I'm having a devil of a time getting from

to this "Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HG7WUQ

so I guess a 1/4 female flare to 3/8 female flare (1/4 female npt to 3/8 female npt) adapter is what I would need.

cant find one anywhere on the internet to buy
Typically the appliance has a 3/8" male flare end, so the first part of whatever screws onto it must be 3/8" female flare. At the other end, there must be a male quick-connect, which comes with either a male 1/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread) end, or a female 1/4" NPT end, so that end of the adapting bits needs to end with either gender of 1/4" NPT. So if the quick-connect always comes with only a 1/4" NPT on the other side, the overall adapter needed is either
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT female, or
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT male
I have not found either of these as a single part; you need to change from flare to NPT, you need to change sizes, and you need to get the right gender. I showed the parts I used in another topic (still looking for the link), and Jim Bennett showed his (assembled) in Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - post #99
Old 10-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Typically the appliance has a 3/8" male flare end, so the first part of whatever screws onto it must be 3/8" female flare. At the other end, there must be a male quick-connect, which comes with either a male 1/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread) end, or a female 1/4" NPT end, so that end of the adapting bits needs to end with either gender of 1/4" NPT. So if the quick-connect always comes with only a 1/4" NPT on the other side, the overall adapter needed is either
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT female, or
  • 3/8" SAE female x 1/4" NPT male
I have not found either of these as a single part; you need to change from flare to NPT, you need to change sizes, and you need to get the right gender. I showed the parts I used in another topic (still looking for the link), and Jim Bennett showed his (assembled) in Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - post #99
Thanks, as always, Brian....

With some Google Image searching - i think i found a suitable short pigtail that would do what I want to do..... maybe?

I'm still confused as to how flare is different than NPT.... more research needed...

This is the 90 degree I'd like to put on my Camp Ranger 2.... and leave it there (to make easier to fit into a plastic bin)

than permanently leave this pig tail on, then use my 10" male-female low flow Camco Quick Connect extension, to get into The Escape....

Here is a link - scroll down to get to the right part. No direct web link to it...

https://gashosesandregulators.com/Pr...onnect-Hose/50

100304-12 - RV Low Pressure Quick Disconnect 12" Pig Tail Hose

● Pressure rating of 1/2 PSI Max.
● The 100304-12 "PIGTAIL" is a 12",1/4" ID hose with a Sturgis Couple- Safe Model 250 gas quick disconnect male plug and a 3/8" female gas flare fitting.
● For use with 100395 series hoses.
● Add a pigtail to all your low pressure propane outdoor appliences to make
connecting and disconnecting them so simple.
● Dust cap included.
● Not Compatible with 1/4" High Pressure Quick Disconnect fittings.

Wt. 3 oz. Free shipping within the 48 contiguous U.S. States.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Overcomplicating the job. The camp chef is very easy to hook up. 1/4 RV QC male
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59903-P...+quick+connect
take it to ACE, Home Depot, Lowes and get a 3/8 female to 1/4 female reducer Go home put the reducer and the male QC together, you'll need yellow gas tape for this connection, screw it on the camp chef and done. I didn't need the 90 elbow, but if one wants add that to the setup it should be simple.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #8

Quote:
I showed the parts I used in another topic...
Found it: Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - post #181

Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Overcomplicating the job. The camp chef is very easy to hook up. 1/4 RV QC male
take it to ACE, Home Depot, Lowes and get a 3/8 female to 1/4 female reducer Go home put the reducer and the male QC together, you'll need yellow gas tape for this connection, screw it on the camp chef and done. I didn't need the 90 elbow, but if one wants add that to the setup it should be simple.
Great if the Camp Chef you're using has a pipe-thread inlet. Most grills seem to have a flare inlet, and since no one seems to be able to find single adapter with right combination of ends, it takes two parts in addition to the 1/4" NPT x male QC (the bit shown on Amazon), rather than just one.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #10

Quote:
... permanently leave this pig tail on, then use my 10" male-female low flow Camco Quick Connect extension, to get into The Escape....

Here is a link - scroll down to get to the right part. No direct web link to it...

https://gashosesandregulators.com/Pr...onnect-Hose/50

100304-12 - RV Low Pressure Quick Disconnect 12" Pig Tail Hose
That's fine. You can also skip the hose and just use the brass fittings so the male quick-connect is right on the appliance, as Greg and I are suggesting.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #11

Quote:
The camp chef is very easy to hook up. 1/4 RV QC male
take it to ACE, Home Depot, Lowes and get a 3/8 female to 1/4 female reducer Go home put the reducer and the male QC together, you'll need yellow gas tape for this connection, screw it on the camp chef and done.
Quote:
Great if the Camp Chef you're using has a pipe-thread inlet. Most grills seem to have a flare inlet...
I believe that in this case we're talking about a Camp Chef Ranger II. In previous discussions, it was clear that when the regulator is removed from this stove the connector which exposed is a 3/8" flare, which is why John is planning to use a flare elbow. Just a pipe thread reducer won't fit on the grill.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...view-6682.html
Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 AM   #12

Quote:
I believe that in this case we're talking about a Camp Chef Ranger II. In previous discussions, it was clear that when the regulator is removed from this stove the connector which exposed is a 3/8" flare, which is why John is planning to use a flare elbow. Just a pipe thread reducer won't fit on the grill.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...view-6682.html
Hey Greg and Brian

thanks for the ongoing info and thread - much appreciated.

One of the reasons I’m confused by the internet is that I know that NPT is different than flare, and in the actual product description

( of the 90 degree elbow I found on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYLUEZ4 )

the manufacturer says it is flare to flare

but later the manufacturer says NPT.

so my question becomes - will this work for me - for the Ranger 2, then adaptors.

PART NUMBER:
166FSV-6-6

Brass 45° Flare Fittings | Parker NA

CONNECTION 1 STYLE:
Flare
CONNECTION 2 THREAD SIZE (INCH):
na
CONNECTION 2 TUBE O.D. (INCH):
3/8
CONNECTION 2 THREAD SIZE (MM):
na
CONNECTION 2 STYLE:
NPT Swivel Nut
Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Great if the Camp Chef you're using has a pipe-thread inlet. Most grills seem to have a flare inlet, and since no one seems to be able to find single adapter with right combination of ends, it takes two parts in addition to the 1/4" NPT x male QC (the bit shown on Amazon), rather than just one.
Single reducer, not two parts, got it at Home Depot.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Single reducer, not two parts, got it at Home Depot.
Just trying to understand what bit of brass we're really talking about here...
  1. Is this female on both sides?
    A reducer bushing would be female on the smaller (1/4") side, and male on the larger (3/8") side - that wouldn't fit the male fitting that I would expect on the stove.
    A reducing coupling would be female on both sides; my guess is that it is one of these.
  2. Is this flare (3/8") on one side and pipe thread (1/4" female) on the other?
    If so, it's not just a reducer or reducing coupling.
    If it is pipe thread on both sides it won't fit a flare on the stove properly, but perhaps could be jammed on. Does the stove have a pipe thread?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #15

If I recall this is it or something similar.
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fi...-pipe-coupler/

You can do a two step if wanted instead of above and go 3/8 female flare to 3/8 MNPT and then a 3/8 Fips to 1/4 Fips and add the QC at the depot.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Perfect
  • female on both sides
  • flare (3/8") on one side and pipe thread (1/4" female) on the other
... but between two industrial hose and fitting suppliers and one barbecue and grill specialty shop that was not available. I certainly didn't find it at Home Depot. Propane Warehouse does not ship to Canada.

One could also use a 3/8" female flare x 1/4" MIPS adapter and a quick-connect male with 1/4" NPT female (instead of the usual 1/4" NPT male) connector.

Quote:
You can do a two step if wanted instead of above and go 3/8 female flare to 3/8 MNPT and then a 3/8 Fips to 1/4 Fips and add the QC at the depot.
I certainly wouldn't use two parts rather than one if I could avoid it, but yes, I had to use the two which I showed in the post which I linked (which are not that combination, but that would work).
Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
so.... I'm a bit confused reading this whole thread. What if I want to add a Little "campfire in a bucket" to my existing outside propane quick connect?

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
so.... I'm a bit confused reading this whole thread. What if I want to add a Little "campfire in a bucket" to my existing outside propane quick connect?

steve
I think it always comes down to the same rules, regardless of what you're connecting to the QC. It's low pressure already since it's regulated coming out of the tanks -- so, as long as 1) whatever you connect is designed to run at low pressure, 2) you can adapt it or it already has a suitable connection, and 3) you remove any pressure regulator on the device you connect, you're good to go. The campfire in a can is no different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:

This fitting says "high pressure"...but it will work?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
Quote:
https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fi...-pipe-coupler/...
This fitting says "high pressure"...but it will work?
Yes, it's fine. For pipes and fittings in general, there is a maximum working pressure, and any pressure lower than that is fine. In this case, the maximum pressure is thousands of times higher than needed - no problem.

What's important is that the fittings work together. In the case of this fitting the type of connection is 45-degree SAE flare on one side, and tapered pipe thread on the other side, and those are the types which work with the other parts involved (and the sizes are right, too).

To confuse things a bit, there are two styles of quick-connect couplings used with propane, informally called "high pressure" and "low pressure". You need to use parts which work together (so one consistent type of quick-connect coupling), and that's the only reason not to use the "high pressure" quick-connects.