Propane Quick Connect Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
The 1-Gallon tank idea makes a lot of sense.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
This thread contains all of the answers to the questions I was about to ask. Thank you everyone.
We just picked up our 19 this past week, and are busy outfitting it, learning a few things as we go..
I wish our sales person at Escape had described this low pressure subject to us when we ordered the quick connect option, because we wouldn't have ordered it. If converted, I would rather not risk someone trying to connect our Napoleon TravelQ or fire ring to a full pressure tank.
As we are planning on mostly dry camping, some distance from civilization, a spare propane tank is part of the load already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfielder View Post
This thread contains all of the answers to the questions I was about to ask. Thank you everyone.
We just picked up our 19 this past week, and are busy outfitting it, learning a few things as we go..
I wish our sales person at Escape had described this low pressure subject to us when we ordered the quick connect option, because we wouldn't have ordered it. If converted, I would rather not risk someone trying to connect our Napoleon TravelQ or fire ring to a full pressure tank.
As we are planning on mostly dry camping, some distance from civilization, a spare propane tank is part of the load already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One thing to remember is that you don't have to have all your propane devices be low pressure. Our Weber uses bottles and our ranger camp stove is low pressure. I may convert my Weber, start refilling the bottles, or just buy the two or three bottles I use each camping trip.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I'm puzzled a bit. If you "converted" these devices (removed their factory pressure regulators/changed fittings) so you could run them on the trailer's low pressure quick connect, you'd know what you did and why. Who's the "someone"? Are you talking about loaning out the firepit or grill to another camper? I fail to see how Escape could anticipate that scenario or bring it up.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That's why I love Camp Chef; my oven and MVP II can easily use high pressure with a regulator they supply, however it normally will use our quick connect- and they include the threaded fitting to thread onto the hose ETI supplies.

Saw a vendor at Telluride Farmer's Market using the same oven. That appliance gets up to 600 degrees F!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
we 100% love our low pressure quick connect

we have it go to a Y

then one hose goes to Camp Ranger 2 on a table, for cooking outside.... no fish and onion smell inside! awesome

the other side of the Y goes to our Campfire in a Can

super awesome

so happy we got it!!!

i would encourage you to think creatively about options you may like with it.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #27

I suppose I could have communicated better.
Had a friend not told me, I would have connected my barbecue and fire pit to the quick- connect, and wondered why they weren't working.
If modification of most propane appliances is necessary to use this connection, a word to a simpleton like me would be helpful.
I already have a spare 20 lb tank, and an adaptor hose is 20 bucks or so. No modification required and I can use the BBQ or firepit anywhere, not just within the limitations of the 12' hose from the trailer.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #28

Anyway... I'm fixed up now and we are looking forward to our first shakedown next weekend with full hookups, and are choosing a dry camp location for the following weekend.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #29

Quote:
I suppose I could have communicated better.
Had a friend not told me, I would have connected my barbecue and fire pit to the quick- connect, and wondered why they weren't working.
If modification of most propane appliances is necessary to use this connection, a word to a simpleton like me would be helpful.
I already have a spare 20 lb tank, and an adaptor hose is 20 bucks or so. No modification required and I can use the BBQ or firepit anywhere, not just within the limitations of the 12' hose from the trailer.
You can put a couple QC hoses together to go farther - or buy a longer hose - or use an extension..... FYI
Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 AM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
There is little risk of that, because to connect the quick-connect fitting on your grill or fire ring directly to a high-pressure source, they could need a hose with the quick-connect coupler on one end and high-pressure fitting on the other end. No one sells that sort of hose (because it is useless) and although it could easily be custom-built, why would anyone do that?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It would be more like you would have tried to connect your barbecue and fire pit to the quick-connect, and wondered why the hose and appliance had different types of connector so they could not be connected. That would have triggered an education.

Quote:
There can be a lot to learn when getting into a new area, and the fact that this topic (of how to use the quick-connect, what can be connected to it, and how to convert appliances) comes up frequently shows that most people don't know anything about it.

I didn't know anything about low-pressure quick-connect fittings for propane until someone asked about it, but now I have my grill converted and a port on my RV.

It must be difficult for RV manufacturers to strike a balance between providing too little information for novices, and the impossibility of educating potential buyers in everything about RVs. Forums like this help to bridge the gap between the information provided and the information needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think the sales staff has to assume that the consumer will educate themselves to some degree on most components, or they would have to go through a long process to fully cover everything on the trailers with some folks, while others really only need to learn about those components new to them.

But fear not, as others like Brian pointed out, it would be impossible to mix up connections out of the box with any appliance. Even if converted, it would again be impossible to connect to a full pressure bottle.

Unless you have actually given the low pressure system a good try, you cannot fully understand the convenience an merit of it. There is a good reason that most folks that have done this have come to appreciate it.

Personally, I would not go without it, and installed it afterwards on my trailer to get an outlet right like I wanted it. I use it for my stove, BBQ and firepit. I just love the convenience.

I use a 3/8" hose for right off the connector (though the fittings are only 1/4"). It was one supplied with my 2009 19 and is still working great. I have added two more 1/4" hoses, one about 5', and the other 12', along with a splitter to give me the flexibility of running two appliances at once, or extending one a loooong ways from the trailer. It takes mere seconds to set any combination up, and the hoses take up less space than 1/4 that of a 20lb bottle and are much easier to stow.

I do carry one 8' high pressure hose with regulator along in case I would like to take any of my appliances. It takes but a minute to swap out the LP connection for the hose end on the 3/8" flare fitting. I have actually done this once where we took the firepit to another site, and just used one of my 20 lb bottles to fire it up.

As we go about a month of camping on two 20 lb bottles, I feel no need to take an extra one. It would have to be an extreme situation that I went a month without being able to fill an empty bottle somewhere.

One can easily accomplish everything I do in my setup with a separate bottle (with additional hoses and splitter), or a case of those 1 lb green bottles, but I feel the flexibility and simplicity of the LP QC to be of great benefit to our style.

But, like has been seen in many occasions in the past, so many of our camping styles differ, and each one of use develops what works best for them. All we can do is to portray our individual preferences, and let others use what they learn to develop their own strategies. As long as you are out camping, having fun, and making memories all this other stuff is just fluff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We used to carry an extra propane tank, but after a few camping trips, we realized that we had enough capacity with the two tanks on the trailer front, that it was more advantageous to obtain a tee and hose for our coleman stove and our grill. We now have two 12 foot hoses and a tee, so everything can be operated anywhere in the campsite, from the trailer tanks.
(Edit: FYI: the coleman stove operates at a different low pressure level than the appliances in the trailer, so bypassing its regulator so as to use trailer low-pressure doesn't work so well.)
Camco Tee:
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #34

I'll third the notion that two propane bottles are PLENTY even for 2+ week trips, for sure... even longer.

and not ever having to move a bottle around the campsite is a huge plus.

wasnt much to buy two QC extensions.

super cool setup. I basically stole it from wise Greg A.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
After years of carrying an extra 20lb propane bottle and a tree assembly to run the grill, stove, etc. the QC was one of the best options that we got on the Escape. The Weber grill and firepit were easy to convert and I purchased the Camp Chef Ranger II stove which is best Camp stove ever had. Added the Y connector so can run two accessories at once. John did the same setup and we both love the results.
All of my appliances run better on the QC then when they were hooked straight to the bottle with a regulator hose.
I'd say two onboard bottles will last about a month if you're not burning a fire pit or the furnace nightly. If so, about two weeks.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'd say two onboard bottles will last about a month if you're not burning a fire pit or the furnace nightly. If so, about two weeks.
This. The firepit does use up a fair bit of fuel, especially if used for long hours. Something to watch, for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
And if it's an Outland Firebowl, shorter. Man that thing can eat propane!

We used to use the QC for the firebowl, but I put the original connections back on and use a small dedicated bottle for it now. When we're out, we're out.

I like it better anyway because at many campsites we like the campfire further away from the trailer than the 10 foot hose allows.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 19'
I looked at the propane quick connect option and initially wanted to get that, but after thinking how we'll camp/use the trailer.. decided we probably don't need it. We like the cook near the picnic table and most of the campground we go to the picnic table is not right next to the trailer anyway... we talked about extending the propane line over but realistically do we really want a long (20-ish ft) propane line going the length of the site? For now we just carry an extra 20lb tank for the stoves... I would like to eventually get a smaller, maybe 11lb tank or smaller for that purpose since we will never use the whole 20lb cooking for the duration we are out..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
I looked at the propane quick connect option and initially wanted to get that, but after thinking how we'll camp/use the trailer.. decided we probably don't need it. We like the cook near the picnic table and most of the campground we go to the picnic table is not right next to the trailer anyway... we talked about extending the propane line over but realistically do we really want a long (20-ish ft) propane line going the length of the site? For now we just carry an extra 20lb tank for the stoves... I would like to eventually get a smaller, maybe 11lb tank or smaller for that purpose since we will never use the whole 20lb cooking for the duration we are out..
That was my solution - I use a 1 gallon (5 lb) tank to feed my grill. It lasts as long as 5 disposable canisters, but is still light enough to handle easily. The Coleman grill/stove I use does not easily convert to low pressure, so this solution works well for me.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The quick connect has been very useful to me, often on days with rainy weather when the awning is also deployed to provide a comfortable dry working/eating/socializing area. I put my synthetic mat out to keep the area dry and free of mud. If the picnic table cannot be dragged under the awning, I will take out my folding aluminum table and set it up together with a couple of lawn chairs under the awning and out of the rain. I will use the quick connect to fire up the Spitfire grill and later on, the Outland fire bowl. Add in a couple of cold brews and it makes for a great camping experience, particularly in cool rainy weather.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote