Propane sensor alarm malfunction - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... Just a quick question. "After screwing around with it for 15 minutes in the middle of the night, it is difficult to fall asleep again". Does that activity set off your motion detector too? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Actually, it sets off the adrenaline which in turn kicks my brain into high gear. Motion detector can be set off by a lot of rocking in the trailer but moving the trailer always sets it off. But that is not a big concern as it sends a text message to my cell phone informing me motion has been detected and the exact location. Once moving, the texts come periodically but I can go online snd see the trailers exact location overlaid on Google Maps. My phone beeps, I see that the trailer is moving and I'm not moving it, I call the police and they have the trailer thief in short order. By the way, this is off topic!
Old 08-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Actually, it sets off the adrenaline which in turn kicks my brain into high gear. Motion detector can be set off by a lot of rocking in the trailer but moving the trailer always sets it off. But that is not a big concern as it sends a text message to my cell phone informing me motion has been detected and the exact location. Once moving, the texts come periodically but I can go online snd see the trailers exact location overlaid on Google Maps. My phone beeps, I see that the trailer is moving and I'm not moving it, I call the police and they have the trailer thief in short order. By the way, this is off topic!
Hi: C&G in FL... Sorry... I get that way a lot!!! Could have used a propane detector while at Boot Hill Country Jamboree Boot Hill Camping & Country Music Festival Jamboree this past weekend. Couldn't figure what was wrong with our fridge. Worked fine... then the temp started to rise. Running on propane... nice blue flame... enough propane to light the stove, but not enough to light the Barbie!!! Red flags on the regulator. Had to manually change it over, then back into green. Slowly the fridge came back down into range. Hmmm. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I just thought I'd report that I am now a convert to the "battery gassing" theory. Our trailer is stored indoors, connected to 120V and thus keeps the 6v batteries charged. We close it up with all windows and top vent closed while running a mini-dehumidifier.
Propane tanks have been off for weeks.
Recently went to check on something, and the propane alarm was blaring. Bearing in mind that this is our third alarm, and that it is 3 inches from the battery box, I have left the top vent open and the kitchen window, to get a little air, and no sounds since.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I just had my propane alarm go off for no apparent reason. I'm at an RV park with electric service, and it's a sunny day with sun on my panels. The batteries are fully charged. I shut off the propane at the tanks, opened the windows, and put the ceiling fan on "high". Still, the alarm went off one or two more times before it quieted down.

I was bewildered until I read this thread. Now I have some ideas of what is going on, and I'll deal with it after I drive home tomorrow. The Escape Forum comes through again.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Unfortunately, the first guess that I would have to make is that something is wrong with the propane lines necessitating checking with soapy water or having an RV place check the column reading to see that it is in the right place.

It certainly does sound as if the batteries are a problem this way but the propane may be.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I copied someone else here and cut one of the leads and put in a connector so I can just kill it when I wish. What good is a safety device that no one trusts?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What good is a safety device that no one trusts?
Or, what good is an instruction manual that nobody reads? Says to regularly vacuum the face and to wipe it with a damp cloth. It wasn't until I got a "false" alarm that I read the instructions.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #48

Good idea, I'll have to talk to she who vacuums the trailer about this.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #49

I replaced my propane detector in February. All was good until yesterday, when it went off again. It did so again this morning. It's pretty obvious that outgassing from the batteries is setting off the detector; after several days of low charge the batteries have been charging, and presumably generating hydrogen.

The battery compartment lid does not seal well-- one corner is raised up a bit due to it hitting a bundle of wires that are fixed in place by a plastic loop screwed to the dinette seat frame. I have a choice to fix this: (1) unscrew the loop and let the wires hang down a bit so that the lid fits tight or (2) add more foam insulation to the underside of the battery compartment lid so that it will raise up a bit and hopefully clear the wires. What is the best approach here? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I replaced my propane detector in February. All was good until yesterday, when it went off again. It did so again this morning. It's pretty obvious that outgassing from the batteries is setting off the detector; after several days of low charge the batteries have been charging, and presumably generating hydrogen.

The battery compartment lid does not seal well-- one corner is raised up a bit due to it hitting a bundle of wires that are fixed in place by a plastic loop screwed to the dinette seat frame. I have a choice to fix this: (1) unscrew the loop and let the wires hang down a bit so that the lid fits tight or (2) add more foam insulation to the underside of the battery compartment lid so that it will raise up a bit and hopefully clear the wires. What is the best approach here? Thanks.
Hi: Mike Lewis... Which is more costly? If you can't drain the swamp... build the dam higher!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #51

Quote:

I noticed the foam takes on the shape of the battery box sides, and stays in that shape as opposed to bouncing back to original when you open it. I opted for lowering the harness, cutting the notches in the box for the cables as I had added to the original. No idea which is really the right approach though.

In an effort to seal up the box better I ran no residue duct tape all around the lid and added a little duct seal putty where the cables go through the side/lid. I'll find out how much hassle it is to remove this come December when I check the fluid next.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I can relate to the issue, mine went off yesterday while on solar. This was even after vacuuming the sensor to remove the pet hair buildup. The problem with
that solution is, I do not have any pets.

My suggestion for the long run would be to move the detector to a more desirable place. I think the current location is a design flaw. That said, I will not do that due to covering the old opening. A second option is on my list, that is to install a cut off switch that can shut down the detector while charging with solar. The switch would have a red indicator light showing red when turned off.

Since you have already changed the detector you will have loose wires, another design flaw not giving you slack in propane detector wires, this will make installing a switch easier. Probably a button switch because of the chance of injury or damage while using the bench. I have not thought further other than I will need a powered third wire to activate the LED.

I have tried a number of seals on the battery box, the hose is part of the issue, not enough upward slope on the exit. A different box?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #53

I've tried looking for a better box, nothing turned up at the size of the original. FWIW, I found the right hand 6v battery as you look at them, covered the vent opening perfectly. I added a couple shims to open a gap between the side of the box and the battery. That and resealing the lid are a stop gap measure till I break down and get AGM's, maybe next year.

I put in a disconnect at the alarm should it act up again, I replaced it a while back too.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mike,
Third choice could be to get AGM battery.
I'd probably start with improving the wiring clearance.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find getting a new Escape every other year eliminates some of the petty annoyances as the propane or smoke detector needing attention.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #56

Bet you never need to change batteries for the smoke detector either.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #57

I may end up retiring my trailer batteries earlier than expected and replace them with AGMs. Fortunately I have a use for the batteries at home: as power for my ham radio equipment.

When I replaced the propane detector I installed an extra length of wire to make it easier next time, but this morning I managed to pull that loose when I removed this detector so I have to start over, sigh.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #58

Quote:
I may end up retiring my trailer batteries earlier than expected and replace them with AGMs.
That's what I did Mike. Been on the road since June 1 and the alarm that used to go off all the time hasn't sounded once. And the AGMs seem to charge faster. From my point of view, retiring my flooded lead batteries early was a wise decision.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find getting a new Escape every other year eliminates some of the petty annoyances as the propane or smoke detector needing attention.
Jim......Is your 2018 model on order yet?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #60

What if I just move the propane sensor to the opposite side of the trailer? Note that my trailer has the furnace in that area, but I don't see how that could be a problem. I'd wire the sensor into the 12V distribution panel.