Propane sensor alarm malfunction - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane

Old 07-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Propane sensor alarm malfunction

We've had our Escape 21' since September of 2014, and the Safe-T-Alert propane sensor has been a silent companion on all our trips. Suddenly, it's not so silent.

A few weeks ago, the alarm started to beep continuously every time the temperature became warm. Opening up the trailer and turning on the Maxx fan would get it to stop. We've left the vents open since then. Now, instead of a full-on alarm, the sensor just beeps once every minute or so, which would certainly wake us up when we are sleeping in the trailer on our next trip.

The propane has been turned off at the tanks since May.

Has anyone had a similar propane sensor malfunction? Is there any way to repair this devices, or would it be better to just install a new one? I presume it is included in Escape's two-year warranty. Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safe-T-Alert.jpg (173.6 KB, 18 views)

Old 07-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
We've had our Escape 21' since September of 2014, and the Safe-T-Alert propane sensor has been a silent companion on all our trips. Suddenly, it's not so silent.

A few weeks ago, the alarm started to beep continuously every time the temperature became warm. Opening up the trailer and turning on the Maxx fan would get it to stop. We've left the vents open since then. Now, instead of a full-on alarm, the sensor just beeps once every minute or so, which would certainly wake us up when we are sleeping in the trailer on our next trip.

The propane has been turned off at the tanks since May.

Has anyone had a similar propane sensor malfunction? Is there any way to repair this devices, or would it be better to just install a new one? I presume it is included in Escape's two-year warranty. Thanks for your thoughts.
These detectors do have a limited life span. It is suggested to replace them every 5 years. You've had it for about 2 years and who knows how long it sat on a shelf before that. I would just replace it. I think they are about $50 and easy to replace.

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Try vacuuming the face plate. You'll see a best before or due date on the unit somewhere. Amazon sells them. They're an easy swap out. 2 wires, 2 screws.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You're not the first and won't be the last, J Mac's suggestion is a good one as the detector is down near the floor and the filter can get clogged with dust and hair.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Vacuum first. The date sticker is on the back of the unit, but the distributor told my dealer that the five years life span starts when you hook it up, so the sticker means little.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape hatching July 17
Having the same problem. My unit was picked up July 2014.
catch_demfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Having issues with mine, not quite the same in that it goes off while charging with solar or after being plugged into shore power for some time. Appears to tied to charging the batteries. Tried the vacuuming to no avail. I picked up my trailer in May of 2014.

I have heard there were some issues with a batch of these units but no specific dates as to when.

Replacing the unit seemed like the best solution until I looked at how the wiring is routed and how little slack there is in the wiring. I could not get the unit out of the wall far enough to clip the wires and on the 21 the battery box is on the other side. The wire is nicely screwed in at frequent intervals but I think I am looking at having to remove the battery box to replace the detector.

Cannot get at those wires easily.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Mine started going off 6 months after I picked the trailer up. Couldn't get it to stop. ETI told me to call the company. It was replaced by the Saf-T-Alert folks under the warranty. 6 months later the new one started doing the same thing, even with propane tanks valved off. In my case, it always seemed to be sometime between 1:00 and 4:00 AM.......a real PITA. My propane alarm now has an inline switch mounted on the front of the passenger side dinette bench next to an electric outlet. Makes it very easy to silence it for the rest of the night.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21
We had the same problem about six months after delivery. Called ETI. In the US had me call the manufacturer. They sent a new unit. I took out the old unit and replaced it with a new one and included an on/off toggle switch. It's kind of a tight fit as the detector backs up to the battery box and it was hard to get my big hands in there.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
What a coincidence - our alarm sounded for the first time today too! We picked up our trailer in January of this year. We've had 100+ degree weather for the last week and think that contributed to it. Also we had one of the propane tanks open just a bit - so maybe it was a valid alarm? Although I don't understand why it would leak and why it would leak into the trailer. We tightened up the tanks and let the trailer air a bit and it hasn't sounded again. If it doesn't sound again, I'm going to assume it was a valid alarm.

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote