Propane tank is full but - - - - - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Propane tank is full but - - - -

This morning I woke up out of propane. Before I left on a short trip Monday I checked the automatic change over. didn't see any indication I was low so needless to say I was surprised. Five 3 nighters and I'm already out of fuel?

After getting home and getting ready to refill the tanks, son of a gun, I finde one tank was still full but no propane will come out. Oh, by the way, I did open the overflow valve and propane did come out. So my question: What would stop the propane from coming out?
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My understanding of how all this works is that if both tank valves are open and the auto-switchover is working properly, it will automatically start drawing from the reserve tank when the service tank is empty. This happens regardless of which bottle the black valve is pointing to. It’s a reminder of which tank is being used as the service tank. The pointer must be turned to point to the current service tank before disconnecting the empty tank. If not, gas will flow out of the disconnected pigtail.

If you got no gauge indication that the service tank was nearing empty, sounds like the changeover valve isn't working properly. Point the black valve at the full tank and disconnect the empty one. Valve open and still no gas?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My understanding of how all this works is that if both tank valves are open and the auto-switchover is working properly, it will automatically start drawing from the reserve tank when the service tank is empty. This happens regardless of which bottle the black valve is pointing to. It’s a reminder of which tank is being used as the service tank. The pointer must be turned to point to the current service tank before disconnecting the empty tank. If not, gas will flow out of the disconnected pigtail.

If you got no gauge indication that the service tank was nearing empty, sounds like the changeover valve isn't working properly. Point the black valve at the full tank and disconnect the empty one. Valve open and still no gas?
I can't say the changeover valve is defective but the second tanks valve is. No propane will come out even with the hose disconnected. However; propane will come out of the overflow valve when I loosen the screw.

If this is going to involve replacing the tank I'll just limp along with one tank 'till I go back to ETI later this summer for a couple mods I have in mind.
2012 4Runner
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
No propane will come out even with the hose disconnected.
It can't come out with the tank not connected to the hose because there's an OPD valve as a safety mechanism. You might try to connect the tank to a hose with no fitting on the other end then open the valve to see if gas comes out. If so, it could be a bad OPD fitting on that side. Or, try switching the tank positions so you're using the other fitting. If gas comes out, you've identified the problem.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Put your cigarette out first.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It can't come out with the tank not connected to the hose because there's an OPD valve as a safety mechanism. You might try to connect the tank to a hose with no fitting on the other end then open the valve to see if gas comes out. If so, it could be a bad OPD fitting on that tank. Or, try switching the tank positions so you're using the other fitting. If gas comes out, you've identified the problem.
Sheesh, goes to show how much I know about today's tanks I'll do what you suggested.

A little past midnight here and I followed your suggestion. Though I hate to admit it - you be th' man, Robert Propane is flowing again so the crossover valve must be at fault. I hope to head up to ETI next month and I"ll have them check it out.
2012 4Runner
Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Glad to help Pat.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oneoleman
I've had a couple of different automatic switchover valve setups and have learned that they can be a little "sticky" at times. I regularly "rock and roll" the propane tank valves and indicator lever on dual setups just to make sure the swirchover is working freely. I like to see the indicator changeover so I know it's working, just my $.02
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Oneoleman
I've had a couple of different automatic switchover valve setups and have learned that they can be a little "sticky" at times. I regularly "rock and roll" the propane tank valves and indicator lever on dual setups just to make sure the swirchover is working freely. I like to see the indicator changeover so I know it's working, just my $.02
Dave
HI; rfs... I always thought you the "Rock n roll" type. Due to the very cold temp of propane those valves freeze up often. I drove propane powered full sized vans and at 60 mph on the four lanes is no time for it to freeze!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Alf, a lifetime of rock and roll, rock and rye, and rock the baby (yo-yo trick) has me thinking about buying a rock of ages and a little plot of ground. We used to use a fire extinguisher on the bottom half of a six pack to cool em down. Boss mentioned that we must be puttin out a lot of car fires, cause the fire ext bill was up. Templeton Rye, another story. See you in Sept. 4 seasons. Rock and roll.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 17
If you open the valve nothing will come out unless there is a hose attached. Hook the tank up to something and then try it. I recall thinking I had a bad tank until someone told me this.
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
This morning I woke up out of propane. Before I left on a short trip Monday I checked the automatic change over. didn't see any indication I was low so needless to say I was surprised. Five 3 nighters and I'm already out of fuel?

After getting home and getting ready to refill the tanks, son of a gun, I finde one tank was still full but no propane will come out. Oh, by the way, I did open the overflow valve and propane did come out. So my question: What would stop the propane from coming out?
It might be as easy as twisting the hose onto the tank a little tighter as it has to seat properly. Don't ask me how I know.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It might be as easy as twisting the hose onto the tank a little tighter as it has to seat properly. Don't ask me how I know.

True enough. The pin on the OPD valve may not be seated.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

My thanks to everyone

I want to thank all of you for your help. A little past midnight this morning I switched the tanks, as rbryan4 suggested, and got the propane running again. Was it the "rock and roll" of the valve as rfs mentioned that did it? Was is it a simple matter of the hose for the full tank not being properly seated as Rossue said? Egads, what was it? Once I fill the empty tank, and properly seat the hose, I'll test both sides of the crossover.

I remember the good ole days with my tent trailer, and only 1 tank, when you ran out of propane you were actually out of propane. Of course that happened only when you were part way through cooking dinner. Or my Bigfoot truck camper with dual tanks you simply went out turned off the empty and turned on the backup. Ahh yes, innovation has brought us a long ways.
2012 4Runner
Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 17
That is what I was trying to say much less articulately. [emoji3]
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I want to thank all of you for your help. A little past midnight this morning I switched the tanks, as rbryan4 suggested, and got the propane running again. Was it the "rock and roll" of the valve as rfs mentioned that did it? Was is it a simple matter of the hose for the full tank not being properly seated as Rossue said? Egads, what was it? Once I fill the empty tank, and properly seat the hose, I'll test both sides of the crossover.

I remember the good ole days with my tent trailer, and only 1 tank, when you ran out of propane you were actually out of propane. Of course that happened only when you were part way through cooking dinner. Or my Bigfoot truck camper with dual tanks you simply went out turned off the empty and turned on the backup. Ahh yes, innovation has brought us a long ways.
Hi: OneOleMan... You really only had two choices. Some of the above or all of the above!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

There are folks who do not turn on both tanks because they want to know when the first one runs out, unless maybe it would be the furnace use in the middle of the night. They routinely do not use the automatic switchover.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
There are folks who do not turn on both tanks because they want to know when the first one runs out.
Yes, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of the automatic switchover. Red means the service tank is empty. That's a pretty good indication. I guess having no gas is a "better indication", but the gauge should be checked once in awhile.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, they are purposely defeating it either because they do not want to bother to keep looking or do not remember to check or some other reason.

Many have used a single tank or no automatic switchover and that is what they are used to. They may want to keep it that way.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Some people still haven't fixed the clock on their VCR, or replaced it with a DVR.