Propane Tank Puzzlement - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the gauge responded to temperature significantly, or to pressure at all, it was not a level gauge.
Yes, it was an inline one line baglo posted.

Having a trailer with an automatic transfer for me negates a good reason to know an exact level in the tank, as long as I regularly check to see if it did transfer. This allows me lots of time to refill the first one.

My temp trailer had two tanks but no auto transfer. What the previous owner (or someone) did, was to make magnetic stickers. One read "In use", one "empty" and one "full". You just stuck them on the appropriate tank, with the spare one stuck on the bracket. Kinda neat, but I still had to do a manual transfer. It both were opened at once, they would pressure down together resulting in both being empty at the same time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The propane supplier in our area will not fill propane tanks that are on the trailer. One reason is they weigh the tanks on a scale when filling
The other reason is that he has had customers come in with their trailer furnace , refrigerator or water heater running on propane.
Same reason that they want your vehicle shut off and don't allow smoking when you are refueling.
When they are the only propane dealer in the area then they get to set the rules
Might be a bit challenging to run a propane furnace or refrigerator while the lines are diconnected during filling.

I agree that tanks should be weighed as they are filled to check that correct amount of propane is added.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Might be a bit challenging to run a propane furnace or refrigerator while the lines are diconnected during filling.

I agree that tanks should be weighed as they are filled to check that correct amount of propane is added.
Not if you have two tanks and they are only filling the one empty tank
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
This is what I do, because I'm more than a little dense, and for me, it is the most simple, IQ validating method...

I only have one valve open at a time, and when that tank goes empty, I shut the valve and open the other valve. That way, as long as my failing memory does not fail, I know I gotta at some point take the empty tank out and refill it.

I tried to grasp the concept of open valves and green and red levels, but you know...I'm no rocket scientist...
I also use your method. Only when I switch tanks, I move the lever over so it always points to the tank I'm using. That way I know which one to use the next time I take the trailer out and which one to refill.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I start every trip of a weeks duration or longer with two full tanks. Between the big
Gas grill, Rocky Mountain Range, Camp Chef high output for making cannoli, I own about a half a dozen tanks so I just use up the partials at home and put full ones in the Escape rack. This year I have an 11 pounder too so no more overpriced, leak your gas away one pounders. I check them pretty often and have never run out with both at once. Where I get mine filled they weigh the tank and only charge me for what I get.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
At times I've managed to get into a situation where I have both tanks only partially full. This seemed to confuse the changeover valve, and it confused me as well, causing me to run out of propane in both tanks at least once. So I replaced the tanks with two that have gauges.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I must be in the minority here but I have no problem with the dual tanks and the automatic switch-over valve. I keep both tank valves open, otherwise what is the purpose of even having the gadget? (I don't want a tank to run out in the middle of the night and wake up to a refer on batteries and no furnace.) If I am camping for an extended time, say 10+ days, I do take a third tank in my truck as I've learned that the nearest propane-filling stations are gotchas. And by the way, I've never run into a place that fills by weight here in Western Washington, but that's been covered in full in many previous threads.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
If I am camping for an extended time, say 10+ days, I do take a third tank in my truck as I've learned that the nearest propane-filling stations are gotchas. And by the way, I've never run into a place that fills by weight here in Western Washington, but that's been covered in full in many previous threads.
Same here. A third tank is always in the truck. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I must be in the minority here but I have no problem with the dual tanks and the automatic switch-over valve. I keep both tank valves open, otherwise what is the purpose of even having the gadget? (I don't want a tank to run out in the middle of the night and wake up to a refer on batteries and no furnace.) If I am camping for an extended time, say 10+ days, I do take a third tank in my truck as I've learned that the nearest propane-filling stations are gotchas. And by the way, I've never run into a place that fills by weight here in Western Washington, but that's been covered in full in many previous threads.
I would not bring an extra tank unless I was out for 3 weeks or more, or if the weather was predicted to be real cold. I have not accurately monitored it, but I would bet on average one tank does me at least 2 weeks.

I still have yet to hit a propane refuelling station that used anything but weight to fill, though I imagine I will as it sounds like there are a few tat don't.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
How to tell how much in tanks... drizzle hot water

Just a quick note that I suspect a lot of folks who also have propane BBQs would know about how to find out how much in tank. Old trick, but just take a cup or two of very hot water (tap OK) and slowly pour it down one spot on the side of the propane tank, then quickly feel from top to bottom on tank and the metal will still feel hot at level of no propane and as you feel down the side it will suddenly feel cold when you get down to level of propane in the tank. Not too scientific, but it lets you know how close to empty it might be, ie., 1/4, 1/2, etc..

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sigh, the hotwater-over-the-tank doesn't work for 5.0 people. The tanks are inside the body of the trailer. Those transparent fiberglass tanks are sounding better and better.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #52

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
I have a question on the two tank systems: if you want to refill one of the tanks (lets call it tank A) , can you flip the switch to the other tank (i.e. tank B), and, after closing the valve detach tank A, while leaving tank B connected and running whatever applications "on" (i.e. fridge, hot water, gas stove or furnace, or do you need to turn off both tanks completely?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sigh, the hotwater-over-the-tank doesn't work for 5.0 people. The tanks are inside the body of the trailer. Those transparent fiberglass tanks are sounding better and better.
Would an infrared thermometer work? Just curious if anyone has tried it. I plan to get one to check wheel bearings and other stuff and was wondering.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
I have a question on the two tank systems: if you want to refill one of the tanks (lets call it tank A) , can you flip the switch to the other tank (i.e. tank B), and, after closing the valve detach tank A, while leaving tank B connected and running whatever applications "on" (i.e. fridge, hot water, gas stove or furnace, or do you need to turn off both tanks completely?
Yes. That's how it works. No need to turn off both tanks.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
To answer your question, yes you can. Last fall I wanted to run my campfire in a can at a campsite next to mine. I flipped over to the full tank to make sure I had several days of furnace and stove gas for the trailer and disconnected the other tank as if I were taking it to get filled but hooked it up to the campfire in a can instead. When I camped with dual tanks on the fold down camper and was camped next to my wife's sister, we never worried about running out because we could trade a tank in an emergency as long as at least two tanks had some gas in then. Did this several times " on purpose". Then went to town the next day and got two empty tanks filled. ( And got more beer)
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
If you shut off tank A, and tank B is open and has propane in it, the autochangover valve in the pressure regulator will automatically begin to draw from that tank. Doesn't matter which tank the black knob is pointed at.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Would an infrared thermometer work? Just curious if anyone has tried it. I plan to get one to check wheel bearings and other stuff and was wondering.
The thermometer would only replace your hand as a temperature sensor; the splash of hot water is still needed. The idea of this method is that the liquid propane will absorb heat from the water more quickly, so soon after the water is poured on there will be a temperature difference. It helps that if the tank is in heavy use (such as for a grill), it will be chilled due to heat absorbed by the vapourization of propane inside the tank.

Just to be sure, I just checked a propane tank (which is running a furnace) with an infrared thermometer... and found no detectable difference in temperature above versus below the liquid level with an infrared thermometer, without pouring water on it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #58

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One of the common brands of propane regulators used on RVs is Marshall. This is from the manual for the MEGR-253, their current auto-changeover regulator:
Quote:
!DANGER!
Black changeover lever must be rotated as far as possible towards reserve cylinder before disconnecting empty cylinder. Failure to rotate changeover lever and / or disconnection of hose while indicator is red will result in a propane gas leak which, if ignited, may cause property damage, bodily injury, or death.
In other words, point the lever at the tank you're using (which will turn the indicator green) before removing the empty one... but you can safely remove the empty one as long as the lever isn't pointing at it. It's easy to remember: red means don't remove either, green means okay to remove the empty one.

This may vary between brands, of course, but there is very little design originality in this field... most if not all will likely work the same way. As always, read the manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just to be sure, I just checked a propane tank (which is running a furnace) with an infrared thermometer... and found no detectable difference in temperature above versus below the liquid level with an infrared thermometer, without pouring water on it.
Brian,
Will your infrared thermometer detect a temperature difference between a tank that is being used vs. one that isn't being used? Evaporating propane should cool the tank in use, but I don't know if the cooling would be detectable.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Brian,
Will your infrared thermometer detect a temperature difference between a tank that is being used vs. one that isn't being used? Evaporating propane should cool the tank in use, but I don't know if the cooling would be detectable.
I suspect it would. I know that the remote thermometer I keep inside the propane cover "lies" by a couple of degrees on early morning temperatures if I've been running the furnace.