Propane tank question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This item is on sale now at Mopeka LP Tank Check Dual Sensor Monitor Kit 024-1000
for $99- good deal

Can't see the point of having redundant gauge. There is already a gauge on the regulator to tell you if a tank is empty. If empty, you use the other one and take the empty to be filled.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Aw come on Glenn, you have to have at least one gadget other than your digital watch.....
Old 02-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #23

I don't have a digital watch. I have a cheap, easy to read, Timex analogue watch without a date window ( cause it's always wrong and too small to read anyway ).
I had an early digital watch and the instruction manual was larger and thicker than the watch. Couldn't remember how to turn the alarm off. Some things are not progress.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #24

I know, you are an avid camera person so you splurge on lenses, that is cool.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #25

I'm a retired photographer.
I don't take photographs.
I take snaps, with my iPhone.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
At the Aframe rally in Cottonwood earlier this month, several people had this device and said it worked well.

I haven't picked up my Escape yet....so, is there a gauge provided on the tanks by ETI?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
At the Aframe rally in Cottonwood earlier this month, several people had this device and said it worked well.

I haven't picked up my Escape yet....so, is there a gauge provided on the tanks by ETI?
No gauge but it has the automatic switch over valve, you open both tanks and note which one is in use by the tab on the valve, when it switches over to the other tank you then remove the now empty one and refill and then repeat when the other tank gets empty.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
No gauge but it has the automatic switch over valve, you open both tanks and note which one is in use by the tab on the valve, when it switches over to the other tank you then remove the now empty one and refill and then repeat when the other tank gets empty.
If both tanks are full, does it matter which tank you start with? I've screwed with the tanks/regulator so many times, I can't remember where it was pointing the very first time!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gauges

I think it was Bill Sonnenburg who told me that tanks from Costco come with a gauge installed on the tank? I check my tanks whenever I’m going out for more than a couple days. I take them to a hardware store where they will top them off for just the pounds needed. With the 11 pound auxiliary tank the we have for the Weber, my Camp Chef Everest stove or our Campfire in a can, I don’t worry about running out of propane. Those switchover valves can be a little quirky especially with the OPD device in play so I rock and roll the flipper switch, open and close the tank valves, tank a tank hose off and put it back on and reopen the valve, any little easy thing I can do when it says I’m empty. That failing, I take the tank mount off and with a 40 lb upward jerk because I know the tank ain’t empty the tank jerks upward and I sock myself in the nose because “damn it’s empty” I yell HONEY I’’M GOING TOWN FOR PROPANE turn away ......and beer.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Of course, if you sell your Escape and buy a new one before the tanks are emptied, you will never have to touch the changeover switch.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think it was Bill Sonnenburg who told me that tanks from Costco come with a gauge installed on the tank?
While Costco has sold tanks both with and without a gauge, the last time I looked our local stores had them with gauges, made by Worthington. This is from a couple of years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The reason that these float-operated gauges have become common is that the OPD includes a float anyway, so the incremental cost and complexity of a gauge isn't bad. The OPD float is going to keep working; it's a safety feature so it needs to be decently reliable, and I've never heard of a problem. At least in the Manchester Sure-Flame design, the gauge on the outside is linked to the float on the inside by a magnetic coupling through the brass body of the valve, so there is no extra hole or seal. Manchester even takes advantage of this to make the display dial a clip-on part, so if gets damaged you just use another one, without replacing the tank or anything built into it.

Costco.ca is currently showing the Bernzomatic tank with gauge. It's hard to see the detail, but Bernzomatic is a brand of Worthington, so it will be a Worthington tank (product 336483), not a Manchester Sure-Flame. Worthington and Manchester seem to be the two major manufacturers of propane cylinders in North America.
I don't think anything has changed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If both tanks are full, does it matter which tank you start with? I've screwed with the tanks/regulator so many times, I can't remember where it was pointing the very first time!
To answer your question, no
Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
To answer your question, no
Thanks Jim! I guess I'm fine then... whew. One less thing to worry about. Check!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Costco still lists the empty tanks with gauges for $25.99 USD, but I think they were a little less in the store. I got two, even though the ones that came with the trailer will still be in date for many years. Peace of mind.
Our Costco sells the propane by the gallon. Peace of mind.
Amazon and Walmart's sites list the same tanks with gauges for $29.99.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote