Propane Y - any reason to get shut offs version? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Propane Y - any reason to get shut offs version?

Hi all

Thanks to the always wise Greg A, I’ll likely add a Propane *Y* Quick connect to the optional Escape propane quick connect that I will get built into our 2017 21’

Camping in California means that campfires are almost always banned, so our ‘Campfire In A Can’ gets used a lot. We’ll also keep a folding table just outside the 21’, and we’ll do most cooking outside.

Will probably get the Camp Chef Ranger II Table Top Stove as I know many people like it, and it is one of the few camp stoves that actually simmers well.

I was about to buy the $50 Torjik quick connect Y that Greg A recommended….

Propane Quick Connect Y Adapter | eBay

same thing, same vendor, can be seen here:

Propane Quick Connect Y Adapter - RV Fitting - propanegear

however I just stumbled upon this other version on ebay - same seller - that has individual shut offs, for an extra $10 (so $60)

Propane Quick Connect Y Adapter with Shut Offs | eBay

same thing, same vendor, can be seen here:

Propane Quick-Connect Y Adapter with Shut-Offs - propanegear

I have never used a Y and a propane quick connect system…. are individual shut offs a handy thing, or just overkill?

I can imagine the Camp Chef Ranger II being setup outside on a folding table most of the time,

... but the our ‘Campfire In A Can’ coming and going quite a bit, depending on what kids we have with us… to minimize tripping hazard, and to keep it out of the way of curious (inexperienced at camping) friends kids who are camping with us.

thanks
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
John,
Just a couple of comments. I find the shut-offs to be somewhat of a pain in the butt at times. There is obviously one at the trailer's QD fitting. I would not order the Y with shut-offs. You are going to need hoses to go to the appliances from the Y. If you want shut-offs, it would be more convenient to have them at the end of the hoses closer to the actual appliance. I found Tejas Smokers (Online) to be a good source for hoses with the fittings on both ends. Available with or without shut-offs. Make sure you buy the ones for low pressure. They look the same outwardly but they are different internally.
I would also address the comment you made regarding the Ranger II. It is a fine stove, but I have found that even with the airflow adjusted and the burner turned down to low, it still has a tendency to boil rather than simmer. And if there is much wind, the burner will blow out on its lower settings in the wind. I went to a sheet metal shop and got a piece of 1/4-inch aluminum 9" x 9" and put it on top of the burner, then I put the pan on the aluminum. I can then get things to simmer. I don't know if other participants here have had the same problem with the Ranger II, but that has been my experience.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
John,
Just a couple of comments. I find the shut-offs to be somewhat of a pain in the butt at times. There is obviously one at the trailer's QD fitting. I would not order the Y with shut-offs. You are going to need hoses to go to the appliances from the Y. If you want shut-offs, it would be more convenient to have them at the end of the hoses closer to the actual appliance. I found Tejas Smokers (Online) to be a good source for hoses with the fittings on both ends. Available with or without shut-offs. Make sure you buy the ones for low pressure. They look the same outwardly but they are different internally.

I would also address the comment you made regarding the Ranger II. It is a fine stove, but I have found that even with the airflow adjusted and the burner turned down to low, it still has a tendency to boil rather than simmer. And if there is much wind, the burner will blow out on its lower settings in the wind. I went to a sheet metal shop and got a piece of 1/4-inch aluminum 9" x 9" and put it on top of the burner, then I put the pan on the aluminum. I can then get things to simmer. I don't know if other participants here have had the same problem with the Ranger II, but that has been my experience.
All good thoughts... thanks Carl
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A side note. If you read the instruction manual for the one-burner butane stoves it limits the size of pot or skillet to be used. Too large and it can heat up the fuel canister, resulting in an explosion.
So, I'd be careful what I placed between the burner and the pot.
This is remains of the stove my daughter destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
butane  - 3.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A side note. If you read the instruction manual for the one-burner butane stoves it limits the size of pot or skillet to be used. Too large and it can heat up the fuel canister, resulting in an explosion.
So, I'd be careful what I placed between the burner and the pot.
This is remains of the stove my daughter destroyed.
The Ranger II is a low pressure two burner propane stove, not a butane stove. No fuel canister, just a propane hose.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I got the QC hoses with the shut-offs at the appliance end as Carl suggests. I would recommend that as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote