Proper awning procedure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Proper awning procedure

After two years I have finally worked up enough nerve to use my trailer's awning. So for a week before I left on my current trip I deployed the awning each morning and stowed it at sunset, just to practice. I can do it now.

But-- what should you do on a trip when it's time to go inside for the evening and you don't anticipate any wind during the night? I'm tempted to leave it out, since the less I mess with it the less wear and tear on the awning structure, and the less chance I'll screw something up. What do others do?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
If I don't expect wind I leave it out. Unless planning for a streamlined early morning departure. Awning is also great for hanging festive lights or spinny wind things.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While at Osoyoos, mine is deployed 24/7/#days there unless a storm approaches. What you need to do now is practice partially deployment for those possible stormy days where you are only out maybe 6 feet.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yeah, I don't worry about retracting it unless there's a storm or high wind forecast or such. Main reason though is not that it can be damaged, but that it kind of makes the trailer shake -- I need my beauty sleep....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our awning gets deployed as part of camp setup every time, and stays up until we pack up to leave. Only if there is a very big wind come up do we ever take it in, which was probably 10 times in 6 years, almost all in Osoyoos various years.

It provided much welcomed shade, as well as rain protection. With our awning we almost always staked the legs out so they were vertical, rather than leave them attached to the trailer. I seemed more solid to me, and it is way easier to manoeuvre around the campsite without them blocking each end of the awning area.

For us it is just part of our style. We set up the picnic table under it if possible, and all our cooking stuff. Basically, it is like an open air room. Many a time we have had a 6-12 people under it waiting out a shower so we can resume our play.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
If we're camping along the coast or next to a large glacier fed lake I tend to stow the awning if we're away from camp for any length of time because of the possibility of sudden winds.

Camping in the interior I leave the awning deployed. If bad weather is a possibility I put it in what I call "storm mode", 2/3's open, with a steep enough downward angle to still be able to get the door open. A couple of weeks ago we were camping at Portage Valley with high winds and the rain blowing sideways and the awning, in "storm mode" did just fine. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like Fat Bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
On our scamp i stake the legs down and also put ratchet straps from the cross bar that I stake out to the ground a little ways out to hold the awning down in case of unexpected wind
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Well Mike,
Looks like you got some more practicing to perform with your recently discovered awning. Do not forget to secure the top with straps and make sure the lock is secured, mine came unfurled along I90 last year.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I guess I've spent too much time in the southwest where it can go from calm to 30-40MPH winds overnight. After watching more than one awning damaged (including one that was completely blown off a class C RV) I always close my awning overnight and any time I leave the trailer. I might be overly cautious, but that is better than trying to put it away in the dark in 40MPH wind!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I guess I've spent too much time in the southwest where it can go from calm to 30-40MPH winds overnight. After watching more than one awning damaged (including one that was completely blown off a class C RV) I always close my awning overnight and any time I leave the trailer. I might be overly cautious, but that is better than trying to put it away in the dark in 40MPH wind!
My experience is similar to Jon's in that I have also experienced sudden storms that often come up with only a few moments notice. I have seen a neighbors awning collapse in one of those storms in Old's, Alberta a couple of years ago. Almost always I will close up the awning when I leave the campground for the day or when I go to bed at night. Exceptions are only when the trailer is parked in a very protected spot (such as in some of the forest campgrounds) where the risk of high winds in the site are fairly low.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have found that I can take down the awning myself in 5 minutes or less. I would rather take it down at night or when leaving the campground rather than either have it ruined or have to take it down in a panic when a wind comes up. The more times I set it up and take it down, the easier it gets.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't close the awning during the day or at night because I didn't want to get everything wet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
John Martin reservoir in SE Colorado. Storms come up quickly especially about
dark after a 90 degree day. Awnings get ripped off your neighbors campers, half nekkid campers struggle in reverse Iwo Jima tent saving poses, tarps in trees, not pretty. Rock was compressed on our pad by the stabilizer jacks to the point that all four were about an inch off the rock after the storm passed. Our coach was rockin and our knees were knockin.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
half nekkid campers struggle in reverse Iwo Jima tent saving poses
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
"Reverse Iwo Jima tent saving poses". Classic Dave! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The very first Quartzsite gathering at 2:30 in the morning after a gorgeous day we got hit with 70mph winds. It is still referred to as the "Great Awning Scramble." Many of us in that original group know what we all look like in our underwear as we ran in a group from one trailer to the next salvaging awnings. All depends what part of the country you're in, but as Jon remarked on his SW experience, things change in 15 min in the SW and when it does you get clocked if not prepared. Most of us Desert Dwellers have learned to put the awning in at night and if you leave the trailer unattended for any length of time greater than 15 min
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Some folks at Niagara Wine Escape a few years ago went sight seeing. Wind came up and flipped their awning into a dead horse pose on the roof of their nice red trailer. We borrowed a ladder from the maintenance people at the Riverside CG. and brought it down again. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Some folks at Niagara Wine Escape a few years ago went sight seeing. Wind came up and flipped their awning into a dead horse pose on the roof of their nice red trailer. We borrowed a ladder from the maintenance people at the Riverside CG. and brought it down again. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
"Dead horse pose on the roof of the trailer", sounds funny now but it sure wasn't funny when that happened to us at Haynes Point Provincial Park in Osoyoos about 6 years ago. We had our little Scamp 13, beautiful sunny day and before we knew it, a sudden wind storm came out of nowhere! The whole awning covered the roof with the legs sticking up...there was enough damage, that it couldn't be rolled back into the casing anymore. Ended up getting replaced.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Cape Hatteras with old HiLo. Thunderstorm coming in at the beach. High tailed it back to trailer just as it hit. My wife and I tried to hold it down. Lifted us both off the ground. Awning ended up over the top of the trailer. Not pretty.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We too have learned to take in the awning when not there; and at night as well. Last time we were at Yellowshone (in a tent trailer) we left the awning up while we sightsee'd (sightsaw) the park. One of those 15 minute weather changes came, sunny, charlie-brown-cloud, then wind and downpour. We had strapped the awning ends to the picnic table and were saved grief. Meanwhile the camp staff were going around with a golfcart gathering up twisted up aluminum, and fabric scraps. They made a huge recycle metal pile, and a fabric-filled dumpster.

Another time, at Lake Cachuma (Santa Barbara County, CA), a wind came up the valley mid-afternoon, and awnings, tents, etc. went everywhere. I closed several trailer front window covers(rockguards) that were getting twisted around.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote