Purpose Of Solar Panels - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Re: Purpose Of Solar Panels

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. It didn't occur to me (!) that a single 6V wouldn't cut it (i.e 6+0 does NOT equal 12!). On the other hand, if we can get away with a single 12V Battery with solar panel (instead of dual 6V batteries), it might save us 50 lbs or so. Our Highlander has a tow capacity of 5000lbs, but on the other hand its only a mid-size SUV (and on the smaller end of the mid-size range at that), and I want to be conservative when it comes to towing, especially because I am inexperienced with it.

stevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

stevy, I would think that adding the weight of the solar panel, combined with the wiring, would pretty much balance out the weight of one battery. Not sure of the weight of a battery, but it would not be 50lb.

Your Highlander will be able to handle the trailer no problem, but you are wise to be conservative as far as weights go, not just from your experience standpoint, but from an overall safety perspective. Plus, the less it weighs, the better the performance and fuel economy too.

Some time into the future I may add solar power, but I definitely plan on having it stand alone for a couple reasons. Not only will I be able to place it where it gains the most solar energy, I will be able to keep it stowed safely away, and even leave it behind on the many trips I take where it would not be needed.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0

I have an 80 watt solar panel on the top of my trailer and dual 6 volt batteries; it's advertised as putting out 4.66 amps under ideal conditions. The maximum I get from it the way it is mounted is between 3 and 3.5 amps in good sunlight depending on the time of day. What really surprised me though was when camping under a canopy of tall fir trees I was still getting between .5 and 1.0 amps and when it was raining lightly out in the open it was still registering .5 amps so it was putting a small charge into the batteries at all times but heavy rain. We used all our lights (LED) as if we were hooked up, had showers each morning, ran the furnace and used an inverter and the battery never went below 12.4 volts (loaded) and was fully charged by noon to 1pm in the day. I think that having mounted on top is excellent choice as you never have to think about power or setting up the panels.

I was planning on buying a small panel to hook up out in the sun that would hook up to the existing panel for times we were camped in the shade but it would seem that that is not needed now. Time will tell but its always an option.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

How does the output from the solar panels get to the batteries? I know they go through a charge controller. Is the output from the controller hooked directly to the batteries or does it go to the battery input connection on the converter/charger?

Doug
Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #15

I didn't hook mine up as I had it installed when the trailer was built. What I do know is that when the battery disconnect switch is off the controller is still powered and all the other battery powered items are dead including the CO/Propane alarm so I would gather that the panel is powered directly to the battery.

Barry

Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

My understanding is that two 6 volts are superior to a single 12. Our Highlander tows our trailer with no problem at all. I would go with dual 6 volts, and have them mounted where you will never have to even think about them. As Barry said, even in shady conditions, the roof mounted panels keep the batteries charged.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I think what stevy was getting at was that if you have solar, do you really need the storage capacity (and weight) of dual 6V, because it is supposedly kept topped up all the time. For most situations, I would think that the dual 6V are not needed if you have good solar charging. Even on an extremely cold night, using the furnace a lot, and the lights a lot, you would not run down a fully charged 12V. If you could charge it back up during the day, I don't really see a need to add the weight of dual 6V.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #18

I agree with Jim regarding the fact that the single 12 volt battery will carry you through a cold night as we were camping up at Lac La Juene in mid October in our last trailer with the temps. dropping down to minus 6 at night and made it through the night with the 12 volt battery but whether we could have done it for another night was dubious. I guess it boils down to how many nights one wants to boondock.

When I ordered the new trailer I went dual 6v for a couple of reasons. By having the extra capacity I wasn't taxing the battery as much. If you have one 12v battery with 100 amps capacity and dual 6 volt with a total of 200 amps and you use 40 amps for the day the 12v is at 60% charge whereas the 6 v is at 80% charge. The dual 6 v give you a bit more peace of mind and let you have a few rainy days with little or no solar power without having to worry about power. You can always go back to one 12v battery but it's a lot harder to retrofit for two 6v.

As for the weight issue; start weighing everything you put in the trailer and you'd be surprised how much clothes, dishes, food and all the "stuff you might need" adds up and you'll end up paring this down if you are serious about cutting down the weight! Making sure that the grey and black tanks are empty or near to it can save three or four hundred pounds.

Barry

Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

Are most of the solar panel users mounting their panels on the roof or do most of you have the panels mobile to follow the sun more directly?
Do those using the roof top mount ever worry about objects falling on the roof and cracking the panels?
J Mac
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 17B 2017

Most of the roof mounts i have seen have been flat using 3m VHB tape. I guess a hail storm could crack them. You could go the portable route, make your own ground stand to follow the sun. Only get the panel out when you needed it. Leave it home if you were going to have hookups.

gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote