Question about running the fridge on battery - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #81

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I presume then that your tow vehicle has no fuel in it.
From Canadian Propane Association FAQ:
  • Propane has the lowest flammability range of all alternative fuels (2.4% – 9.5%) – so there must be a very specific combination of propane and oxygen for it to burn.
  • Propane’s auto ignition temperature is approximately 493° – 549°C (920° – 1020°F), gasoline’s auto ignition temperature is around 257 °C (495°F) – therefore, gasoline will burn or explode at a much lower temperature than propane.
Good to know that my fridge propane ignition could ignite my trucks fuel before my trailers propane in the event of an accident. Thanks.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
Good to know that my fridge could ignite my truck before my trailer in the event of an accident. Thanks.

I think you have it backwards. Your truck's fuel will ignite at a much lower temperature than the trailer's propane. Besides, there is a valve inside the propane tank to shut it down if it detects a rupture in the lines.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #83

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
The propane safety argument always comes up in debates about DC vs propane while traveling. Are there *any* documented cases of a refer on propane causing or contributing to any kind of accident while traveling? I haven’t heard or seen a single case. Given that this is a fairly common - one might even say standard - practice, you’d think there would be some documented cases to support it being any more dangerous than, say, crossing a crosswalk, or flying in an airplane. Documented fatalities from both of those regularly. Well, battery operated planes are in development, so maybe that will help. And municipalities should probably switch to DC operation for their crosswalks.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There are two strong opinions to the "traveling with propane on" discussions. Neither will ever convince the other. And neither needs to justify their decision to the other. Just be safe and be happy with your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
@Rossue - For those concerned about running 12v vs propane it isn't an environmental issue or about saving propane, it's a safety issue.
@Rossue? What's next #Rossue
Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
For those concerned about running 12v vs propane it isn't an environmental issue or about saving propane, it's a safety issue.
I agree, eating spoiled food because of inadequate 12v refrigeration is more dangerous than running your fridge on propane.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #87
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the fundamental issue is, you are supposed to shut off your propane at the tank before fuel steps, and many tunnels..

I can't say I've ever bothered.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #88

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Living in Wisconsin and based on statistics ,I am much more concerned about being injured by a drunk or distracted driver then I am about being injured by my propane.refrigerator
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are two strong opinions to the "traveling with propane on" discussions. Neither will ever convince the other. And neither needs to justify their decision to the other. Just be safe and be happy with your decision.
There have been a good few that have converted to propane after discussion. Folks do need to feel safe though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the fundamental issue is, you are supposed to shut off your propane at the tank before fuel steps, and many tunnels..

I can't say I've ever bothered.
I have heard this about fuel stations, but have never noticed a sign saying to turn your propane off while fueling up, though I have only actually looked a few times. Ferries and some tunnels yes, but at those places you are usually checked to ensure the propane is off.

I never bother at turning it off either, and don't personally know anyone else that does.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #90

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
For tunnels (and ferries) the propane tank valves are closed to (nearly) eliminate the risk of leaks, since pooling propane would be an explosion hazard in these enclosed spaces.

There is no reason to shut off the propane supply (close the tank valves) at a fuel station. What you should do is turn off propane appliances with outside access, to eliminate the risk that the operating flame, pilot flame, or electronic ignition ignites gasoline vapour.

Of course the easiest way to stop propane appliances from working is to close the tank valves, but if you pull into a station and close the valves to a running electronic-ignition appliance it will start sparking in a futile attempt to restart the flame, which is exactly the opposite of what is intended. If you're not going to hit the off switch on these appliances (which is likely just the refrigerator but you could be running the furnace or water heater) it might be safer to just leave them running than to close the valves.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #91

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have heard this about fuel stations, but have never noticed a sign saying to turn your propane off while fueling up, though I have only actually looked a few times.
I haven't seen such signs, either, but with RVs accounting for a tiny fraction of vehicles at gas stations, I'm not surprised. There is also no sign saying not to operate a blowtorch or welder, but I don't think anyone should do that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Only signs are "No Smoking" posted...
Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #93

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
In Lanesboro, there is a resident who smokes when filling. I've seen her twice. I'm way more worried about her than our 5.0 that sits 15 feet from the pump while we're filling.

When we purchased our Scamp in 2005 (?) we couldn't figure out why our battery constantly died the first night out. A friendly neighbor pointed out we had a 3-way fridge that was set on DC. Once on LP we never killed the batteries, UNTIL we purchased our 5.0 and accidentally hit the DC button. Luckily I noticed the batteries were around 11.9 volts and set the fridge back to LP. Is there a way to disconnect the DC option on our fridge?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #94

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe in the newer models, gas and electric are the defaults and you must elect 12v. I read that someplace....
Old 07-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #95
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe in the newer models, gas and electric are the defaults and you must elect 12v. I read that someplace....
my RMD8555, thats how it works... if you select "A" (Automatic), then it only switches between 120VAC and propane.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote