quick connect question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
quick connect question

Our new 21 has the quick connect, so naturally I have a question about the hookup. I tried to find the answer, but hate to slog thru a ton of posts.
Is the quick connect 3/8" male of female?

thanks again
Jerry

jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Our new 21 has the quick connect, so naturally I have a question about the hookup. I tried to find the answer, but hate to slog thru a ton of posts.
Is the quick connect 3/8" male of female?

thanks again
Jerry
Hose end is male. Trailer side is female.

Nuff said.......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
The hose supplied by ETI has a male fitting and plugs into the female fitting on the trailer, as Charlie said. The hose is 1/4-inch ID. The 1/4-inch hose will provide gas flow for 65,000 BTUs. That exceeds the demand of most fire pits, a "typical" small grill is somewhere betwee 8,000 and 12,000 BTUs, and a Camp Chef Ranger II that runs on low pressure has two 11,000 (I fairly sure) burners. You could run both burners and the grill at the same time on a 1/4-inch hose. But even though you could, it is unlikely you would ever have both burners on high and the grill in high at the same time.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Is the quick connect 3/8" male [or] female?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The hose supplied by ETI has a male fitting and plugs into the female fitting on the trailer, as Charlie said. The hose is 1/4-inch ID.
Yes, the hose has the quick-connect (male) to plug into the trailer. If that's the end you're asking about, you have your answer... and it's the normal configuration: the propane outlet is female as usual, like this:

... so the hose which plugs into it is male, like this:

There probably isn't anything about these connectors which is 3/8", but there's no problem with getting the right size: these are the 'model 250' type normally used for RV low-pressure quick connections.

If your appliance already has a quick-connect hose, it should have a male end and you're set. If you need to attach the supplied hose to your appliance (grill, stove, whatever), you might want to know what that end of the hose has on it: it ends in a 3/8" female SAE flare (again to match 3/8" male SAE flare normally found on appliances).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Cool, I was wondering if the trailer connection would have the proper pressure to operate a small gas grill. I've read in a few places that the pressure was reduced for the fridge, but I guess that is at the appliance itself. Reckon I'll be buying an MB Sturgis type connection to hook up my quick disconnect to the bottle fitting on my little Weber.......now to find a place to put it in the TA, along with golf clubs!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Cool, I was wondering if the trailer connection would have the proper pressure to operate a small gas grill. I've read in a few places that the pressure was reduced for the fridge, but I guess that is at the appliance itself. Reckon I'll be buying an MB Sturgis type connection to hook up my quick disconnect to the bottle fitting on my little Weber.......now to find a place to put it in the TA, along with golf clubs!
You cannot connect a low pressure fitting to the bottle fitting on the Weber grill. You MUST remove the regulator (separate it from the control knob assembly) and then get the proper fittings to attach a male fitting or a hose. The QC fitting on the trailer is already regulated. You cannot have another regulator or the grill will not work. Gas pressure will be "lower than low;" it will be inadequate.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Oops, reckon I'll just stay w bottles, no need to have a grill that doesn't work remotely....or with a cobbled together regulator/no regulator fitting.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
thank you for all the info. It definitely helps!
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Cool, I was wondering if the trailer connection would have the proper pressure to operate a small gas grill. I've read in a few places that the pressure was reduced for the fridge, but I guess that is at the appliance itself.
It is a low-pressure outlet, delivering the same pressure as to everything else in the trailer (including the refrigerator), so it is not suitable for most small stoves and many small grills.

Carl explained this well, and there are longer discussions in previous threads to explore the details of converting appliances which are suitable... which does include some small stoves and grills.

Quote:
Oops, reckon I'll just stay w bottles, no need to have a grill that doesn't work remotely....or with a cobbled together regulator/no regulator fitting.
Depending on the grill, this can be done quite neatly to produce a system that runs conveniently on either a low-pressure supply (from the trailer) or a high-pressure supply (from a cylinder/tank/bottle). It is simpler to just use high pressure, which is appealing if you don't see enough advantage in using the low-pressure port on the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi TFord

I'm wondering what you will use your quick connection for if you don't get a grill or fire bowl that is rigged to run off the regulator on the trailers propane tank.

We had to research all this before we figured things out. Bonus now is that we don't have to carry extra propane since we can use the propane from the trailer

Larry

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote