quick connect question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
quick connect question

Our new 21 has the quick connect, so naturally I have a question about the hookup. I tried to find the answer, but hate to slog thru a ton of posts.
Is the quick connect 3/8" male of female?

thanks again
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Our new 21 has the quick connect, so naturally I have a question about the hookup. I tried to find the answer, but hate to slog thru a ton of posts.
Is the quick connect 3/8" male of female?

thanks again
Jerry
Hose end is male. Trailer side is female.

Nuff said.......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The hose supplied by ETI has a male fitting and plugs into the female fitting on the trailer, as Charlie said. The hose is 1/4-inch ID. The 1/4-inch hose will provide gas flow for 65,000 BTUs. That exceeds the demand of most fire pits, a "typical" small grill is somewhere betwee 8,000 and 12,000 BTUs, and a Camp Chef Ranger II that runs on low pressure has two 11,000 (I fairly sure) burners. You could run both burners and the grill at the same time on a 1/4-inch hose. But even though you could, it is unlikely you would ever have both burners on high and the grill in high at the same time.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Is the quick connect 3/8" male [or] female?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The hose supplied by ETI has a male fitting and plugs into the female fitting on the trailer, as Charlie said. The hose is 1/4-inch ID.
Yes, the hose has the quick-connect (male) to plug into the trailer. If that's the end you're asking about, you have your answer... and it's the normal configuration: the propane outlet is female as usual, like this:

... so the hose which plugs into it is male, like this:

There probably isn't anything about these connectors which is 3/8", but there's no problem with getting the right size: these are the 'model 250' type normally used for RV low-pressure quick connections.

If your appliance already has a quick-connect hose, it should have a male end and you're set. If you need to attach the supplied hose to your appliance (grill, stove, whatever), you might want to know what that end of the hose has on it: it ends in a 3/8" female SAE flare (again to match 3/8" male SAE flare normally found on appliances).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Cool, I was wondering if the trailer connection would have the proper pressure to operate a small gas grill. I've read in a few places that the pressure was reduced for the fridge, but I guess that is at the appliance itself. Reckon I'll be buying an MB Sturgis type connection to hook up my quick disconnect to the bottle fitting on my little Weber.......now to find a place to put it in the TA, along with golf clubs!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Cool, I was wondering if the trailer connection would have the proper pressure to operate a small gas grill. I've read in a few places that the pressure was reduced for the fridge, but I guess that is at the appliance itself. Reckon I'll be buying an MB Sturgis type connection to hook up my quick disconnect to the bottle fitting on my little Weber.......now to find a place to put it in the TA, along with golf clubs!
You cannot connect a low pressure fitting to the bottle fitting on the Weber grill. You MUST remove the regulator (separate it from the control knob assembly) and then get the proper fittings to attach a male fitting or a hose. The QC fitting on the trailer is already regulated. You cannot have another regulator or the grill will not work. Gas pressure will be "lower than low;" it will be inadequate.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Oops, reckon I'll just stay w bottles, no need to have a grill that doesn't work remotely....or with a cobbled together regulator/no regulator fitting.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
thank you for all the info. It definitely helps!
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Cool, I was wondering if the trailer connection would have the proper pressure to operate a small gas grill. I've read in a few places that the pressure was reduced for the fridge, but I guess that is at the appliance itself.
It is a low-pressure outlet, delivering the same pressure as to everything else in the trailer (including the refrigerator), so it is not suitable for most small stoves and many small grills.

Carl explained this well, and there are longer discussions in previous threads to explore the details of converting appliances which are suitable... which does include some small stoves and grills.

Quote:
Oops, reckon I'll just stay w bottles, no need to have a grill that doesn't work remotely....or with a cobbled together regulator/no regulator fitting.
Depending on the grill, this can be done quite neatly to produce a system that runs conveniently on either a low-pressure supply (from the trailer) or a high-pressure supply (from a cylinder/tank/bottle). It is simpler to just use high pressure, which is appealing if you don't see enough advantage in using the low-pressure port on the trailer.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi TFord

I'm wondering what you will use your quick connection for if you don't get a grill or fire bowl that is rigged to run off the regulator on the trailers propane tank.

We had to research all this before we figured things out. Bonus now is that we don't have to carry extra propane since we can use the propane from the trailer

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Hi TFord

I'm wondering what you will use your quick connection for if you don't get a grill or fire bowl that is rigged to run off the regulator on the trailers propane tank.

We had to research all this before we figured things out. Bonus now is that we don't have to carry extra propane since we can use the propane from the trailer

Larry
We have a 2000 w Yamaha generator that works off the quick connect propane.
Haven't used it once in 1.5 years though!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We love our quick connect, here's a pic. Got the campfire in a can keeping folks warm and the weber Q ready to go. With burn bans all over the country it's nice to have the campfire in a can (or if it's raining). The Campfire came with directions for switching to the quick connect and the Weber was fairly simple - just have to remove one regulator and put on the quick connect adaptor.
Attached Thumbnails
NOG.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Removed Weber Q regulator and added male quick connect.
Attached Thumbnails
webrQ1.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Some have never tried the low pressure, and don't care to.

A few have got it, but found they never use it.

We got it, and absolutely love it. I like not having to take another propane source along, especially those wee bottles. I find it more convenient to get set up, and have never had issue with the hose. Our temporary trailer does not have it, what a pain. I plan to use it with our new 5.0 TA when we get it, for both the BBQ and stove.

If it is raining, we just put up a tarp and sit around the campfire. No propane fire for us.... at least for some time yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We converted our Weber exactly like Myrons. If you want, you can put a female QC adaptor on the Weber regulator you take off and still use it with the bottles if you ever want to.

Had to go to the propane fire pit in AZ. Too many fire/no burn restrictions here to make old style campfires a reality anymore. Some trips we are the only trailer that is able to have a campfire, but we see more and more propane fire pits lately when we're out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a picture of a fire on my iPhone.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have a picture of a fire on my iPhone.

Oh com'on Glenn, spend a dollar and get the app.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We converted our Weber exactly like Myrons. If you want, you can put a female QC adaptor on the Weber regulator you take off and still use it with the bottles if you ever want to.

Had to go to the propane fire pit in AZ. Too many fire/no burn restrictions here to make old style campfires a reality anymore. Some trips we are the only trailer that is able to have a campfire, but we see more and more propane fire pits lately when we're out.
That's a great idea for quick use of the regulator. I know on my Dickinson
BBQ, I had to replace the regulator with a volume control, but I imagine if I set it at full open, I could just use the volume control on the regulator. I am going to look into this idea.

Your reasoning for going with a propane fire is something I have been finding out over the last few years, and thus the reason for the "yet" qualifier in my last post. It was the first Escape Rally in Merritt that I first ever saw a campground that did not allow fires. Since then I have seen a few more. It is tough for me, as a campfire has always been such a big part of camping, whether in the backcountry, or with a tent or trailer at a campsite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If you want, you can put a female QC adaptor on the Weber regulator you take off and still use it with the bottles if you ever want to.
I think this is a great idea, and I'm pretty sure we discussed it in one of the many previous low-pressure propane threads. My Porta-Chef grill works this way, with the original regulator-equipped hose quick-connected to the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That's a great idea for quick use of the regulator. I know on my Dickinson BBQ, I had to replace the regulator with a volume control, but I imagine if I set it at full open, I could just use the volume control on the regulator.
Or instead of using the original regulator with integrated control, you can set up a plain regulator with
  • the quick-connect (female) on the outlet side and
  • on the inlet side either
    • "appliance" or "cylinder thread" connector (so you can use common high-pressure extension hoses) or
    • QCC nut (to connect directly to a tank, with your low-pressure hose from regulator outlet to grill)
... and continue to use the same volume control. Just about every RV store has suitable single-stage regulators.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I have the quick disconnect and love it. Not having to purchase and carry the small bottles and later dispose of them is a real advantage in my opinion. I have two 10' hoses allowing me to place the bbq 20' from the trailer.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote