Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3 - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #91

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Some comforting latest statistics, my RM8551:
  • Friday, 5:30 PM fridge temp is 49F trailer temp 97F (...I had earlier opened the door for several minutes to load stuff).
  • Saturday, 7 AM fridge temp is 29F trailer temp 62F. (note: fridge has been continuously on 5 dots, shore power since yesterday.)
  • Saturday 2:30 PM fridge temp 36F trailer 94F
  • Saturday 3:40 PM fridge temp 37F trailer 94F
Today's a very hot sunny day.
  1. All this with original (ETI/Dometic) install of fridge thermistor and two rear fans working (as needed I guess) on automatic.
  2. All this with my beefy insulation install and the baffle, and my plastic curtain.
  3. I have no fans inside the fridge. Thermistor is taped to left side wall about an inch from the fins.
  4. If this kind of performance continues, then my only issue is painful slow recovery of interior temp after opening the fridge door.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #92

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Fan placement

I have the 4.3 with one fan on the back. Have the fridge out doing a reinsulate and modifying the escape baffle to 45 degrees. id like to put a fan in the baffle area. Questions are: is it necessary and where how high up would you put it?

Dave

dave1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Some comforting latest statistics, my RM8551:
  • Friday, 5:30 PM fridge temp is 49F trailer temp 97F (...I had earlier opened the door for several minutes to load stuff).
  • Saturday, 7 AM fridge temp is 29F trailer temp 62F. (note: fridge has been continuously on 5 dots, shore power since yesterday.)
  • Saturday 2:30 PM fridge temp 36F trailer 94F
  • Saturday 3:40 PM fridge temp 37F trailer 94F
Today's a very hot sunny day.
  1. All this with original (ETI/Dometic) install of fridge thermistor and two rear fans working (as needed I guess) on automatic.
  2. All this with my beefy insulation install and the baffle, and my plastic curtain.
  3. I have no fans inside the fridge. Thermistor is taped to left side wall about an inch from the fins.
  4. If this kind of performance continues, then my only issue is painful slow recovery of interior temp after opening the fridge door.
Those numbers look pretty good. I'm wondering what the result would be if you ran it on propane.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #94

That test is yet to come.

Meanwhile.... This week got in mail the correct Snip-the-Tip adjustable thermistor and have installed it. New round of testing began yesterday and is continuing. Will post my fair and balanced results probably tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #95

Dave1 just sent me this picture of the back of his RM8551 4.3. Interesting to note he got it with only one fan, and his motherboard is on the back instead of on top like mine is. Does not leave much space for adding a second fan.

Fan placement could be crucial for best efficient fan cooling. Wondering if all with same as this have made changes and if they are working for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLaFrg.jpg (249.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I have not found a second fan is necessary although I have added a second but never use it. I located it about 6" below the roof vent.

I have the same fridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (200.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I have not found a second fan is necessary although I have added a second but never use it. I located it about 6" below the roof vent.

I have the same fridge.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know you really don't need a second fan. I have a computer fan just begging to be used and am thinking of locating it about a foot above the exhaust stack. My thinking being to pick up the hot exhaust and move it up. What do you think?

Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #98

Quote:
Dave1 just sent me this picture of the back of his RM8551 4.3. Interesting to note he got it with only one fan, and his motherboard is on the back instead of on top like mine is. Does not leave much space for adding a second fan.

Fan placement could be crucial for best efficient fan cooling. Wondering if all with same as this have made changes and if they are working for you.
Myron,

Actually the grey box is low down on your fridge. Your power connections are on top where on the single fan they are low and assessable from the outside.

Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #99

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Actually like this the 4.3 we have with 1 fan . Interesting when frig was new with problems , spoke to Dometic and they said there was 2 fans back there ?when I was able to remove there is only 1 fan . Have the snip the tip , did not install it yet . Soon will be testing out everything I did . I put my extra fan above on side , it is larger , a dometic fan just above frig top hopefully if needed to move hot air out to roof. I can't wait to hear your findings with the added snip the tip . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #100

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Good to know you really don't need a second fan. I have a computer fan just begging to be used and am thinking of locating it about a foot above the exhaust stack. My thinking being to pick up the hot exhaust and move it up. What do you think?

Dave
From my experience ours seems to cool better just running the lower fan. Pat installed a better quality fan than I did so maybe it will do something mine don't. With just the lower fan running I can feel a draft coming out of the roof vent when standing on a ladder and holding my hand next to it.

It would not hurt to install it while you have the fridge out. May give you more options.