Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3 - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Ready to wire a switch for my single fan. Looking at the thermostat to add wires for the switch, there is a clear end and a black end both with red wires. Does it matter which color end wire goes to power side of the switch.

Thanks

Dave
No, it does not matter.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #112

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Ready to wire a switch for my single fan. Looking at the thermostat to add wires for the switch, there is a clear end and a black end both with red wires. Does it matter which color end wire goes to power side of the switch.
Thanks
Dave
Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling
post 84

Old 08-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #113

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
This is where even the cheapest of volt meters is your friend. With one you can put one lead to ground. Then test the wires in question. The one that's hot is the one that will also go to the switch. The other side of switch goes to the other wire. You're hooking the switch up in parallel. Either the thermostat or the switch can turn on the fan.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #114

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jubal,
Thanks have seen that post and read it, my question is does it matter which wire goes to which terminal on the new switch.
Just saw kountrykampers post that it doesn't matter.
Thanks all for the help!
Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #115

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Is this correct? (I added the little 5 amp fuse that came with the new cooling switch therm, and the toggle switch has a third spade I assume is for ground, which I have ignored.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newswitch.jpg (21.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #116
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
That works on my unit, wired similarly. If you did ground your switch it may illuminate?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #117

Ah, the deed is done! Everything seems to work (after several blown fuses, wrong connections, panicky thoughts, etc.) Right, Jim, light on the rocker switch finally came on after I grounded it.

[I eliminated the in-line fuse.]...............Hope this pix is not too confusing.

Now begins round 2 of fridge cooling performance testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NUswitch1.jpg (139.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
One thing Myron if I'm following your picture correctly. It looks like a wire is touching the flue exhaust or very close. I would push it away some so it don't melt and short if your running on propane.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #119

Well I don't know but now I'm thinking something ain't right. Just stepped out to the trailer and the fan is still running. It has been running non-stop since I started this round of testing at 3 PM.

Been 5 dots on shore power all afternoon. Currently, 7:30 PM, fridge temp is 46F and trailer temp is 86F. At 3 PM fridge temp was 57 and trailer was 89. A drop in temp of 11 degrees after 4 hours ain't so great, that's for sure. I sat in the trailer from 6:30 to 7:30 PM and the fan never stopped running.

The re-thinking continues.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #120

7:30 AM-- just checked and the fridge temp is 33 trailer temp is 60 and, the fan is not running.

Of course I then used the switch several times and that turned the fan on and off like it should.

This seems to indicate yesterday's issue has more to do with the new 130 fan thermostat not willing to shut the fans down early like I was expecting, because it thinks things aren't cooled down enough back there.

Guessing biggest issue now is constant fan whine and/or DC drain if boondocking. I'll just wait things out awhile before deciding to go back to the original fan thermostat or not.