Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3 - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #141
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
no one will be surprised when you 'complain' it's the worst frig you ever had.
Irma said its the best looking ... And worst performing .. Frig of our lives.

Wow, I feel your pain...
Maybe someday we can share a drink out of our plastic boxes with ice.
__________________

__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #142
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,064
My conclusions two day fridge testing, on propane: When it's really hot this is not a robust cooler. Well, I think we all knew that.

I dropped the power to 4 dots for this test because that's the level I would like to use most of the time. Propane power seems marginally adequate if unexceptional at 4 Dots. The fridge was kept empty, the door was never opened.

I manually turned fans on during hottest time of day hoping to keep interior temps from doing a dramatic rise. Stats seem to indicate little help there. The fans never came on by themselves, far as I could tell. I never got a sense that the fridge was even running. It's not the worst fridge I've ever had. Just the first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proptest1.jpg (69.7 KB, 30 views)
__________________

__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #143
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My conclusions two day fridge testing, on propane: When it's really hot this is not a robust cooler. Well, I think we all knew that.

I dropped the power to 4 dots for this test because that's the level I would like to use most of the time. Propane power seems marginally adequate if unexceptional at 4 Dots. The fridge was kept empty, the door was never opened.

I manually turned fans on during hottest time of day hoping to keep interior temps from doing a dramatic rise. Stats seem to indicate little help there. The fans never came on by themselves, far as I could tell. I never got a sense that the fridge was even running. It's not the worst fridge I've ever had. Just the first.
Myron I finally in a couple days will be testing mine out too. Why is not Ok to put at 5 and just leave it there unless temp , don't laugh would drop real low ? Just wondering . Reace told me to when I spoke with him . Do you have a fan inside frig? Also some of your numbers weren't bad a difference in 55 I thought I saw . Would it be better to have something in Frig? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,741
I'm reluctant to get anywhere near this topic, but I think an empty fridge isn't going to perform to optimum.
I think a fridge in your home would also struggle if the interior of the house was 98 degrees.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #145
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
[SIZE=3
Propane power seems marginally adequate if unexceptional at 4 Dots. [/SIZE]
Myron, you do have a way with words.

I was also wondering about testing with the fridge empty.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #146
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Posts: 243
I think it is time for ETI to start molding a rooftop vent into the top of the area above the back of the fridge. The side vents don't create the chimney effect.
__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #147
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I think it is time for ETI to start molding a rooftop vent into the top of the area above the back of the fridge. The side vents don't create the chimney effect.
I believe the newer models of the 19 and 21 and 5.0 all have roof vents, the 17, not sure of.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #148
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
Myron,
My fans came on automatically while on propane when I switched over from 120v and my manual switch was off. That said I had a complete failure yesterday coming home. It must had blown out as I heard it trying to light once stopped.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #149
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,064
No fan inside fridge, Pat. Adjustable “Snip-the-clip” thermostat inside was set a few hairs to the colder side of default, on wall about an inch from the fins. Agreed, fridge will certainly perform better when filled, when in partial shade, at 5 dots, and with a cooler trailer interior. Of course, that’s what we want and what we can reasonably expect. Ron, my testing goals aimed at merely establishing a base line for desired 4 Dot level. Only rationale for 4 Dots is prayerful wish to not use up propane too fast.

My 19’s got the roof top vent, etc., like Jim said. No ceiling vent fans running, two side windows half open. Still, I was a little amazed that it got so hot after 2PM in there, and, that interior fridge temps were so slow to drop at late afternoon. Trailer has been sitting out there in total full sun. Picture here is early morning light.

Remain puzzled my two backside (“Texas”) fans never came on during hottest time, however, I never spent the afternoon inside there waiting for them. When I turned fans on the fridge temp actually increased a degree, but maybe it would have been higher without them. I also agree, Jim, we must not take it for granted that when we fire up on propane fridge will automatically kick on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edgewood.jpg (102.1 KB, 4 views)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #150
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
No fan inside fridge, Pat. Adjustable “Snip-the-clip” thermostat inside was set a few hairs to the colder side of default, on wall about an inch from the fins. Agreed, fridge will certainly perform better when filled, when in partial shade, at 5 dots, and with a cooler trailer interior. Of course, that’s what we want and what we can reasonably expect. Ron, my testing goals aimed at merely establishing a base line for desired 4 Dot level. Only rationale for 4 Dots is prayerful wish to not use up propane too fast.

My 19’s got the roof top vent, etc., like Jim said. No ceiling vent fans running, two side windows half open. Still, I was a little amazed that it got so hot after 2PM in there, and, that interior fridge temps were so slow to drop at late afternoon. Trailer has been sitting out there in total full sun. Picture here is early morning light.

Remain puzzled my two backside (“Texas”) fans never came on during hottest time, however, I never spent the afternoon inside there waiting for them. When I turned fans on the fridge temp actually increased a degree, but maybe it would have been higher without them. I also agree, Jim, we must not take it for granted that when we fire up on propane fridge will automatically kick on.
Hi Myron . So this may sound stupid but if I keep frig at 5 all the time instead of 4 I am using a lot more gas ? Reace told me to set at 5 and leave there but I always really didn't know Why I wanted to be at 4 . If the gas use is a lot more , something more to think about . I still have not installed snip the tip , but have moved thermistor out of holder . I am getting antsy to check my frig . A few more days then will see . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.