Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #101

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Dave1 just sent me this picture of the back of his RM8551 4.3. Interesting to note he got it with only one fan, and his motherboard is on the back instead of on top like mine is.
I have the same one fan set-up. The one thing that I didn't do when I did all my mods was put in a manual switch. Never heard the fan come on for several hot days. Decided to get that switch installed and then I heard the fan running. I was a little suspicious of why it suddenly started running because the temperatures weren't even as high as when it hadn't run.

Looked up at the vent and discovered the adhesive holding the reflectix that I'd put in the vent cap had let go and it had dropped down and effectively closed off the vent. Pulled it out and fan hasn't come on since. So, manual switch it is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I just listened to my 2 fans running for a solid two minutes. Right now it is 97° F inside the trailer. Now wondering maybe don't need to add that nice rocker switch (7/16ths inch hole) for manual fan control.

Oh... and the current temperature inside the fridge? Sorry, that info not ready for prime time yet.
Attached Thumbnails
rocker.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know, you are going to wait until tomorrow night, when the debate is on tv and post your results....not fair.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #104

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
From my experience ours seems to cool better just running the lower fan. Pat installed a better quality fan than I did so maybe it will do something mine don't. With just the lower fan running I can feel a draft coming out of the roof vent when standing on a ladder and holding my hand next to it.

It would not hurt to install it while you have the fridge out. May give you more options.
Good to know with one fan running you can feel air movement at the top vent. I will install a fan in the cavity area since the fridge is out.
Thanks again for your reply and to all who are taking the time to post their efforts to get this fridge working.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Dave1 just sent me this picture of the back of his RM8551 4.3. Interesting to note he got it with only one fan, and his motherboard is on the back instead of on top like mine is. Does not leave much space for adding a second fan.

Fan placement could be crucial for best efficient fan cooling. Wondering if all with same as this have made changes and if they are working for you.
Hello Myronl and Dave,
I have two Texas fans which were controlled by a fan switch in the rear installed by ETI. The lower fan situated at the same loacation as Dave's lower fan. The lower fan did not start when inside trailer temperature was above 90F. It appeared that there is a thermastat controlling the fans too because the upper fan stopped when the temperature was in the 70s F. Please offer your assessment as to why the lower fan did not come on? Is it defective? Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello Myronl and Dave,
I have two Texas fans which were controlled by a fan switch in the rear installed by ETI. The lower fan situated at the same loacation as Dave's lower fan. The lower fan did not start when inside trailer temperature was above 90F. It appeared that there is a thermastat controlling the fans too because the upper fan stopped when the temperature was in the 70s F. Please offer your assessment as to why the lower fan did not come on? Is it defective? Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tony,

I'm a bit confused. You say you have two Texas fans on a switch installed by ETI, are they in the baffle area? The fan in my picture is a stock fan provided by dometic. This fan has never come on. It appears the thermostat has a very high set point. I will put a switch on it so I can turn it on and off.

Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #107

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello Dave,
The fan in your picture in the baffle area is the fan that i am addressing. It never came on when it was hot. I assumed that it was installed by ETI when I ordered Texas fan. I did not realized it is a Dometic stock fan which have a very high thermostat temperature setting. Thanks for clarification. I installed a two speed computer case fan at the base floor and plug into the the 120v outlet installed by ETI located at the baffle area. It worked well. I used the low speed during the night and could not hear any noise at all. Thanks for providing refrigerator fan education.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #108

Hot outside the last few days. The trailer sat in full sun. I think Wednesday’s results are gratifying, considering the very high trailer interior temps and 4.3’s predictably slow cooling performance. (No, I never opened the door.) Thursday’s results are telling in that the fridge never got warm as 40°F, a good thing. Should also mention I had removed the freezer compartment.

My fans did come on periodically. Thinking a fan thermostat that governs with a lower threshold, like 130°F, is a better idea, so shall replace fan factory install. I will add a manual switch to give me fan control on demand. Seems logical, if speedy heat evacuation is the key to cooling performance.
Attached Thumbnails
FrigStat2.JPG  
Old 08-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #109

Adding switch for fridge fan

Ready to wire a switch for my single fan. Looking at the thermostat to add wires for the switch, there is a clear end and a black end both with red wires. Does it matter which color end wire goes to power side of the switch.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #110

Once the smoke clears, be sure to take a picture of the connection, Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Ready to wire a switch for my single fan. Looking at the thermostat to add wires for the switch, there is a clear end and a black end both with red wires. Does it matter which color end wire goes to power side of the switch.

Thanks

Dave
No, it does not matter.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #112

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Thanks
Dave
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ng-5344-9.html
post 84
Old 08-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #113

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
This is where even the cheapest of volt meters is your friend. With one you can put one lead to ground. Then test the wires in question. The one that's hot is the one that will also go to the switch. The other side of switch goes to the other wire. You're hooking the switch up in parallel. Either the thermostat or the switch can turn on the fan.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #114

Jubal,
Thanks have seen that post and read it, my question is does it matter which wire goes to which terminal on the new switch.
Just saw kountrykampers post that it doesn't matter.
Thanks all for the help!
Dave
Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #115

Is this correct? (I added the little 5 amp fuse that came with the new cooling switch therm, and the toggle switch has a third spade I assume is for ground, which I have ignored.)
Attached Thumbnails
Newswitch.jpg  
Old 08-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #116

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That works on my unit, wired similarly. If you did ground your switch it may illuminate?
Old 08-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #117

Ah, the deed is done! Everything seems to work (after several blown fuses, wrong connections, panicky thoughts, etc.) Right, Jim, light on the rocker switch finally came on after I grounded it.

[I eliminated the in-line fuse.]...............Hope this pix is not too confusing.

Now begins round 2 of fridge cooling performance testing.
Attached Thumbnails
NUswitch1.jpg  
Old 08-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
One thing Myron if I'm following your picture correctly. It looks like a wire is touching the flue exhaust or very close. I would push it away some so it don't melt and short if your running on propane.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #119

Well I don't know but now I'm thinking something ain't right. Just stepped out to the trailer and the fan is still running. It has been running non-stop since I started this round of testing at 3 PM.

Been 5 dots on shore power all afternoon. Currently, 7:30 PM, fridge temp is 46°F and trailer temp is 86°F. At 3 PM fridge temp was 57° and trailer was 89°. A drop in temp of 11 degrees after 4½ hours ain't so great, that's for sure. I sat in the trailer from 6:30 to 7:30 PM and the fan never stopped running.

The re-thinking continues.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #120

7:30 AM-- just checked and the fridge temp is 33° trailer temp is 60° and, the fan is not running.

Of course I then used the switch several times and that turned the fan on and off like it should.

This seems to indicate yesterday's issue has more to do with the new 130° fan thermostat not willing to shut the fans down early like I was expecting, because it thinks things aren't cooled down enough back there.

Guessing biggest issue now is constant fan whine and/or DC drain if boondocking. I'll just wait things out awhile before deciding to go back to the original fan thermostat or not.