Recharging Battery w/Honda 2000i - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 11:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
A trip to Wal-Mart (automotive section, camper accessories) and $2.79 + tax worked for us.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Powe...apter/16817349
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The problem with connecting a Honda generator to the trailer through the power cord when you have the Progressive EMS is the Honda generator does not tie the neutral to ground (bond). Since the EMS looks for that bond & assumes there is an open ground when it doesn't find it, it sends an error code & shuts down.

One solution is to use the bypass switch. If you want to keep all the functions of the EMS, you can wire a plug that ties the neutral to ground & plug it into the other side of the Honda's receptacle. This bonding is safe, if fact, required for some portable generator situations. Others include a switch that lets you bond or not. Because the Honda is 120V only, and under 5000 watts, bonding is not required by the NEC.

While I strongly suggest having this done by someone familiar with the polarity of a standard 120V plug, all you need to do is make a jumper between the ground (round pin) and neutral (wide blade), put the cover back on & plug it in.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Plug the trailer power cord into the generator. The trailer comes with an attached cord and you can get the removable power cord as an option. Also may need a pigtail to go from the 30 amp to the regular 3 prong outlet.
Note that if your 2000i is the Companion model equipped with a 30v female, locking receptacle, you'll need an adapter to attach the trailer's male plug. Here's the one I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My WEN 2000 generator has a grounding terminal that is supposed to be hooked up prior to plugging in the trailer and/or running the generator. Haven't tried the generator on the Escape yet, but I'm assuming that if I run the ground connection it will resolve the EMS issue.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I included the EMS to deal with uncertain power quality at campsites, so bypassing it to run my generator without bonding straps isn't an issue for me - haven't ever had a generator whack out on me....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
My WEN 2000 generator has a grounding terminal that is supposed to be hooked up prior to plugging in the trailer and/or running the generator. Haven't tried the generator on the Escape yet, but I'm assuming that if I run the ground connection it will resolve the EMS issue.
Our older gen also has the grounding terminal . My brother said it would , but I never tried it . I just shut off the surge protector by the bypass switch . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Brian...thanks for all the info. My father is using the trailer as we speak on a steelhead fishing trip off Lake Erie. No solar (yet). He is running the Honda EU2000 about an hour and battery voltage goes from 12 to 12.5. Seems pretty reasonable for dual Interstate 6V's. Based on this timeframe the amperage must be pretty high as you have indicated.
Correction. Running for an hour gets him to about 12.35V (~70%). Running for two hours gets him close to 12.5V (~90%).
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Note that if your 2000i is the Companion model equipped with a 30v female, locking receptacle, you'll need an adapter to attach the trailer's male plug. Here's the one I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it should be noted that the Honda EU2000 Companion model is meant to be used as the second in a pair of paralleled EU2000's. It can be used solo but it costs more and has no performance advantage over the regular model. The only difference is the 30A twist lock plug on the Companion replaces a regular receptacle. In both cases you need an adapter from the trailer cord to the gen...just different ones.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
it should be noted that the Honda EU2000 Companion model is meant to be used as the second in a pair of paralleled EU2000's. It can be used solo but it costs more and has no performance advantage over the regular model. The only difference is the 30A twist lock plug on the Companion replaces a regular receptacle. In both cases you need an adapter from the trailer cord to the gen...just different ones.
True, and for those reasons the Companion is usually chosen as the second EU2000i purchased, as a companion for the first one. On the other hand, the locking connector is nice, and if you occasionally camp with other people who have the regular model, having the Companion would be handy.

Another difference: according to the manuals I have for both versions of the EU2000i (which may not be current) - and their wiring manuals - the 12 V DC output feature is only included in the regular model. For an Escape owner, I don't see this as in issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Running for an hour gets him to about 12.35V (~70%).
20% of the capacity of a 236 amp-hour battery in one hour would be 47 amps of effective charging. Even though the state-of-charge values are approximate, the charging rate looks pretty good.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The problem with connecting a Honda generator to the trailer through the power cord when you have the Progressive EMS is the Honda generator does not tie the neutral to ground (bond). Since the EMS looks for that bond & assumes there is an open ground when it doesn't find it, it sends an error code & shuts down.
FWIW Honda's "industrial" version of the EU2000i generator is the EB2000i which has the bonding. Someone who doesn't want to mess around with the EMS bypass or the rewiring of the plug may be interested in this as a solution.

Honda EB2000I Model Info| Portable Industrial 2000 Watt Generator | Honda Generators
Attached Thumbnails
eb2000i-panel.jpg  
Old 12-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
My Honda 2000 puts out 17.5 volts from the 12 dc charger outlet. I don't know the amperage, and have never used to charge a battery.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
My Honda 2000 puts out 17.5 volts from the 12 dc charger outlet. I don't know the amperage, and have never used to charge a battery.
According to Honda the output is 8A. Just be conscientious if you do charge a battery as it is an unregulated output. It seems to me that if you are running the generator anyway it would be easier to allow the onboard WFCO charger to charge the trailer battery or if one is talking about a battery not wired within the trailer (boat, etc.) plug in an independent 120V smart battery charger to do the job more effectively.