refilling 1 pound propane tanks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Hey, Donna, you've probably read this elsewhere, but the ETI-installed external propane connection is low pressure (after the regulator) so it won't run most camp stoves. I'm sure it's great for grills, fire pits, and such, but that doesn't interest us. I don't think I'd order one again. Since this discussion started with refilling bottles, probably for high pressure applications, I thought I'd mention it.
Yep, I know. But, thanks for the reminder!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We do not have the low pressure connection but find it simple to remove the second 20 pound tank from the front of the trailer and move it to the picnic table for our portable stove. If it gets too heavy we'll replace it with a 10 pound (or 5 pound) cylinder. Went 2000 miles (in the summer—no furnace) without refilling the first tank.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We went the five pound route years ago and prefer that to most other options. The five pound tanks fit in a five gallon Lowes bucket with lid, so it's easy to transport and I have a bucket when needed!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape
Brian BP, thank you for confirming my amateur conclusion that overfilling a 1lb canister is not very likely to happen.

I agree with the people who use the 5 lb containers. Those are the best. Too bad that the 1lb variety have become an industry standard. But there is a certain satisfaction in refilling the small green bottles.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Brian BP, thank you for confirming my amateur conclusion that overfilling a 1lb canister is not very likely to happen.
Similarly, walking across the quiet street in front of my house without looking either way is not likely to be a problem. Of course, improbable as it may be, one might have the misfortune to be hit by an inattentive driver at 60 km/h (40 mph).

I look when I cross the road. I would check the fill level of a propane cylinder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #26

I get the looking both ways before crossing the street, but I'm curious to know how you will monitor the fill level of your one-pound propane cylinders.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm curious to know how you will monitor the fill level of your one-pound propane cylinders.
First, I don't intend to refill disposable containers. If I did fill any small cylinder, the most obvious way to monitor the fill level is to fill with a hose, and place the cylinder on a scale (an electronic kitchen scale would work) to monitor the weight change.

An alternative would be to stop filling by the random guess method, but then check the filled weight after disconnecting the cylinder. Of course, if it is found to be overfilled, there is the problem of safely disposing of the excess...

The one-pound containers which are intended for safe refilling (from Manchester, mentioned and linked by Jim in post #9) have a valve to make control of filling easier. Jim's plan including a forklift tank is what I proposed for a FiberglassRV member (who did eventually go with the forklift tank, but not the liquid service port and one-pound cylinder filling). It would use a fill hose (sold by Manchester) so it could be used with a scale; however, it also has a liquid level gauge (80% bleed valve) to use as a check on fill level (unlike a disposable cylinder). I doubt the fill hose could be easily purchased in Canada by a retail customer, which could make the whole system difficult to implement.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #28

Ah, thanks. I thought you were referring to the disposable cylinders.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
I thought you were referring to the disposable cylinders.
Well, I was (and I realize that's what the thread is really about). I would use the same weighing method with either disposable or re-usable... I just don't want to risk dealing with the disposables.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Love these firestorm topics Been filling my own for years using a spare 100# tank, inverted and left in the sun to warm up. Small tanks chilled and filled while on a digital scale. Works for me, depends on your comfort and knowledge level I guess.

As for time consuming, I can fill a half dozen in the time it would take me to go to the store and buy them. To each their own.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Been filling my own for years using a spare 100# tank, inverted and left in the sun to warm up.
There are reasons why propane cylinders have a top and a bottom - among them, the pressure relief valve is on the top, and connected to the vapour space so that an overpressured cylinder does not spew liquid propane. If leaving a tank to warm up and increase pressure, leaving it upright would be safer. If you insist on inverting a vapour tank instead of using a proper liquid-service tank, it makes sense to me to at least not invert it until necessary to get liquid out of the vapour service port. Something like a forklift tank or vehicle fuel tank would avoid this issue.