refilling 1 pound propane tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
refilling 1 pound propane tanks

I just bought the adapter for $20.00.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Read on the other site that refilled 1lb tanks often slowly leak and if you store them inside the trailer will set off the alarm. Aside from wasting gas.
I'll pass on this adapter.
Also, if the 1lb. tank has been attached to a device and then removed, it is prone to leaking.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I bought a 5 lb refilable propane tank last year so I can be rid of those pesky wasteful little 1 pound bottles. fits nicely in the front storage box ( outside the trailer ) and with moderate use of the grill and fire pit seems to last quite a while.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

What other site are you referring to Baglo? The "speaker" on the youtube mentioned that only One has leaked in the many years he has been doing this.
I don't keep gas or propane tanks in my trailer.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Why are those 5 pound tanks so darn expensive?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I question how safe it is to refill throw away propane cylinders. Their not designed for refill. How about overfilling and expansion?

The bottle label states the following;
NEVER REFILL THIS CYLINDER
REFILLING MAY CAUSE EXPLOSION !
FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS TRANSPORTATION IF REFILLED-PENALTY UP TO $500,000.00 FINE AND 5 YEARS IMPRISONMENT (49USC.5124)

I know this is an environment issue for many of you but... I think I'll just purchase the very few 1lb bottles I use.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

It was a discussion over on FGRV.
You'd have to search and then accept the resulting fury.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #8

I'm sure you guys are right but I do have a couple questions.
The gas fitters I talked to said that there is very little pressure in 20 lb or 1 lb tanks and that limits the possibility of an explosion.
As for the transportation of said tanks and the $5000,000.00 fine associated with it....how would anybody know the tank was refilled?
As for the leaking aspect, the adapter end has the same end as the stove or BBQ that the tanks are normally hooked to and those tanks go on and off the stove many times during the life of the tank without creating a leak.
Does anybody here think the economic/convenience aspect is worth it to refill?

I'll go with what he majority here seems to think.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have done this for a while in the past, but gave up on it for a few reasons.

1. It is really tough to get the small bottles full. If you freeze them first, it helps.

2. I did have one that ended up with a slight leak. Those small bottles don't have a quality reusable valve on them.

3. I always seemed to run out of the wee bottles, right when I needed one.

Bottom line, I dropped the system as it was just too much of a PITA to do. My time has way more value that what I saved. I did it more for the fact I hate that these bottles are disposable, and realistically, you are not allowed to send them to the dump, they should be disposed of in an appropriate manner.

Instead I now have the low pressure connection for the BBQ, and will ultimately have one for a stove. For now, I just run a hose back to the bottles on my tanks.

If you really want 1 lb refillables, I would just buy them. One thing I am thinking of doing is using a forklift/RV type permanent propane tank mounted horizontally. On them you can get a Vapour service valve (for connection to the RV) and a Liquid Service Valve (used for forklifts or other propane burning motors). The liquid service valve could be safely used to fill these refillable bottles if you want.

Click on photo for link.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have some very good friends that almost lost their beautiful 5th wheel to a refilled 1# tank. It was "stored" in the basement of the trailer.

I'm getting the "Exterior Propane Quick Connect includes 12' Propane Hose with Adapter" on my new 5er.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape
I've done this and was happy with the results. Put the large bottle upside down and let it warm up. Put the 1lb bottle in an ice bath for 5 min. You should get close to 1lb in the small canister, I doubt if it is possible to overfill.

It is a little bothersome to do. I do it because I hate throwing the canisters away after one use. No one seems to know what disposal by appropriate method is. That is why you see the empties set beside garbage cans and recycle dumpsters. Maybe they will somehow jump into the proper place.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I do the same thing with the backpacking canisters. But, I have managed to overfill one or two, and have found out the hard way, when the concave bottom suddenly becomes concave. (Which I believe is by design in case of overheating.) Now I weigh the filled canister very carefully and so-far, so-good.

But as pointed out by others, it is a pain and wasteful of time. My personal objective is to use up the leftover fuel from a backpacking trip because what remains is not sufficient for the next trip. Basically, I am still tossing metal cans but not the fuel inside them.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
But, I have managed to overfill one or two, and have found out the hard way, when the concave bottom suddenly becomes concave.
That was supposed to read:
"when the concave bottom suddenly becomes convex"

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
J Mac,
There are a lot of rules and regulations concerning propane refilling. For good reason. Some really bad accidents have happen in the industry.
If was is determined by an accident investigation that your refills caused one, you could find yourself personally liable for death, injury, and damage.
Liquid propane expands in volume when stored in a warm location. Those thin bottles cannot handle much expansion due to overfill. Ask yourself if the risk is worth the $3.00 you might save. If you have issues with empty throw aways, spend the bucks for a small refillable bottle. My advice is to heed to the label warnings and return your refill adapter.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #15

I have a 10 lb. cylinder that serves the BBQ. I might have to refill it once a year. Not too heavy.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I don't have any need for small propane tanks. I use the propane quick connect fitting on my Escape when I need propane for the BBQ or fire bowl. My portable stove(s) use white gas, so no need there either, but if I was to purchase a propane burner, I would get one that works with the quick connect fitting as well. I have two 20-lb propane tanks on my Escape, why not use them.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #17

When using the quick connect does the propane hose get in the way?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
When using the quick connect does the propane hose get in the way?
Not at all, at least it never has yet. If running out a ways from the trailer, I do try to keep it neat by putting it under the awning mat, but even when it is in the open on the ground it lays really flat, and poses no tripping hazard.

I have been using a high pressure hose from my tanks for 20 years now with never a problem. The low pressure setup has been used for only two years, but the hoses are very similar.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm getting the "Exterior Propane Quick Connect includes 12' Propane Hose with Adapter" on my new 5er.
Hey, Donna, you've probably read this elsewhere, but the ETI-installed external propane connection is low pressure (after the regulator) so it won't run most camp stoves. I'm sure it's great for grills, fire pits, and such, but that doesn't interest us. I don't think I'd order one again. Since this discussion started with refilling bottles, probably for high pressure applications, I thought I'd mention it.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
The gas fitters I talked to said that there is very little pressure in 20 lb or 1 lb tanks and that limits the possibility of an explosion.
Those gas fitters should have their tickets to work pulled, since they are completely incorrect... if they actually said that. My guess is that they said there isn't enough propane in the tank to make a very big explosion if it leaks, but they could be just incompetent.

Propane in a closed container is liquid and vapour in equilibrium (until enough is used that there is no liquid left); the vapour (and thus liquid) pressure is dependent only on the temperature, so it is the same regardless of the container size. The little one-pound cylinder is at the same pressure as the 20-pound barbecue tank, or the 20-ton tanker truck. At 60°F / 16°C, that's 92 PSIG / 637 kPa... substantially higher on a hot day.

This is not something the average person should be expected to know, but a gasfitter is another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
You should get close to 1lb in the small canister, I doubt if it is possible to overfill.
Not only is it possible - it is inevitable. The only reason that these containers are not overfilled by amateurs is that they are too impatient to leave the connection long enough. In many reports on various web sites, it seems that a minute or two is the usual connection time, and most users find - if they bother to check - that they get less than a pound into the small cylinder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote