RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats

At the suggestion of several forum members I'm creating a new thread to post performance numbers for the RMD8555 two door.

It is currently 91F here at the Bluebonnet Rally. The fridge side of the trailer is in direct sunlight.

Current fridge temp: 36.5 degrees
Fridge settings: running on AC (auto), set to 4 out of 5.

Pretty pleased with it.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Wow, since we're getting same fridge pretty pleased to hear that....Karen
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for starting the thread, Robert. We will be able to contribute to it this summer (if the fridge issue isn't already old news) as we get our Escape 21 soon.

In past threads not everyone gave as much information as you. I think it would be beneficial to suggest they include (or even cut in paste) some standard information and also include any precautions in measuring performance. It could shorten the time it takes to get a handle on whether the problem is fixed. How is this for starters?

Outside temperature (taken in the shade):
Fridge side of trailer was in (Shade or Direct sunlight):
Fridge running on (AC/Propane/DC):
Fridge setting:
Fridge temperature:
Freezer temperature:
Other details:

Note:
Don’t report any performance temperatures unless both the fridge and freezer doors have been closed continuously for 30 minutes.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd be interested in hearing how the fridge makes out on the way home. The only time I had issues with the single door was when we were on the road for hours and it was above 85, worked fine parked. Of course I don't do much hot weather camping. Good thread, need to decide if I should swap.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Robert,

Thanks much for this information. I think we are going for the two door fridge. It certainly sounds better than the performance we have been getting with the single door.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Thanks for starting the thread, Robert. We will be able to contribute to it this summer (if the fridge issue isn't already old news) as we get our Escape 21 soon.

In past threads not everyone gave as much information as you. I think it would be beneficial to suggest they include (or even cut in paste) some standard information and also include any precautions in measuring performance. It could shorten the time it takes to get a handle on whether the problem is fixed. How is this for starters?

Outside temperature (taken in the shade):
Fridge side of trailer was in (Shade or Direct sunlight):
Fridge running on (AC/Propane/DC):
Fridge setting:
Fridge temperature:
Freezer temperature:
Other details:

Note:
Don’t report any performance temperatures unless both the fridge and freezer doors have been closed continuously for 30 minutes.

Bob K
I like it!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how the fridge makes out on the way home. The only time I had issues with the single door was when we were on the road for hours and it was above 85, worked fine parked. Of course I don't do much hot weather camping. Good thread, need to decide if I should swap.
Although I didn't measure precisely when it was hot out, we did tow through southern Idaho when the outside temps were about 86F. Upon arriving at our campground the fridge temp was around 36.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Robert,

Thanks much for this information. I think we are going for the two door fridge. It certainly sounds better than the performance we have been getting with the single door.

Leon
I would definitely change it out, especially if Dometic is covering the cost of the new one. I have no proof for my theory, but I believe the freezer being isolated from the fridge is beneficial to the performance. Also, perhaps with the fridge door being smaller it seals better?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 19'
I expect the worst performance to be parked, on propane and no air conditioner.

It would be interesting to add air conditioner "on" or "off" and inside temperature to your list.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I saw two of the new units in Townsend, Tn rally. One had already lost it's freezer door and was waiting for a part. Other than that issue there were no complaints on performance. The backside is entirely different than the single door. My single still worked fine on propane and electric on setting "3" which was 38 and -3. This is the dilemma this issue is creating, what are some of the pitfalls of the new unit vs the old ones.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Having read many reports about the Dometic fridge hinges breaking, I find it hard to believe that so many people are being careless when travelling with food in their fridge. With our Norcold fridge in our stick trailer, after our fridge and freezer doors popped open on our first rough road trip we used shims at the edge of the two fridge latches to prevent them releasing during travel. We never had an incident after that. Maybe Dometic needs to redesign their latches and hinges to be more robust.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I thought the 6.7 has a two stage latch and that the second is for travel.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Site Team

RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought the 6.7 has a two stage latch and that the second is for travel.

Not really. It has the standard latch with the "airing" position for when the trailer is stored.

It also has the "button bypass" latch so you don't have to press the button to open the fridge while camping. I guess you could call that feature a travel latch but we leave it that way even when camping. The ones I would call a real "travel latch" consist of a lever on the outside that you use to lock the door, or an automatic lock that engages when the tow vehicle's engine is running.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, have been known to fix something that wasn't broke. Ran into a buddy with a Sprinter camper with the same RML8555 and they haven't had any issue nor heard of any. My complaint at the moment is the gasket constantly pulls away from the lower third of the door making it sometimes impossible to close without re-seating it. Then it happens all over again.

Am waiting to see what the actual cost for labor is going to be; have been sent the email to contact Dometic for replacement at an Authorized Service Center.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I expect the worst performance to be parked, on propane and no air conditioner.
And you are correct, sir. ETI replaced my fridge with the two-door model on June 29, and I have been keeping a temperature record since then. On 120V current the fridge performs fine, with temps in the 30s F. I switched it to propane yesterday morning as a test. The fridge temp rose to the 40s by early afternoon and at one point climbed to 50. The trailer has been parked since the day I had the fridge replaced, and the fridge side of the trailer is exposed to the afternoon sun. Ambient outside temperature has been in the high 80s in the day, up to 90, and 50s at night.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
which should be fine since most use of propane is on the road under both sun and shade and not sitting still absorbing the sun. As long as the electric can handle the heat, I'm happy.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
which should be fine since most use of propane is on the road under both sun and shade and not sitting still absorbing the sun. As long as the electric can handle the heat, I'm happy.
When I bought the trailer it was my intent to do a lot of boondocking, so that doesn't work as well for me.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19'
I do a lot of boondocking and found that I usually have a lot of flexibility in positioning the trailer - making sure the fridge doesn't get afternoon sun really helps - even when the temps are in the upper 80's.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
And you are correct, sir. ETI replaced my fridge with the two-door model on June 29, and I have been keeping a temperature record since then. On 120V current the fridge performs fine, with temps in the 30s F. I switched it to propane yesterday morning as a test. The fridge temp rose to the 40s by early afternoon and at one point climbed to 50. The trailer has been parked since the day I had the fridge replaced, and the fridge side of the trailer is exposed to the afternoon sun. Ambient outside temperature has been in the high 80s in the day, up to 90, and 50s at night.
Mike is your fan or fans coming on at all ? Mine never came on so I am fixing that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
I do a lot of boondocking and found that I usually have a lot of flexibility in positioning the trailer - making sure the fridge doesn't get afternoon sun really helps - even when the temps are in the upper 80's.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Today the fridge ran fine on propane until the afternoon sun hit that side of the trailer, then its temperature went up past 40. I guess when I'm boondocking I should point the trailer tongue east or southeast when possible.