RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #221

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since my RMD install I have attended 2 rallies, each one about 6-7 hours of towing. I encountered rising temperature while traveling but no issue while at the cg, on propane. On the past return trip I reinstalled my hose for the condensate back into the tank and insured it was covered with water to eliminate warm air entering thru the drain. I also covered about 50% of the lower intake vent with furnace filter, behind my previously installed metal bug screen.
I had no change in my refer, on gas, on the return trip. Meaning the temperature did not rise one degree. I also have the rv fridge fix installed and my thermister is hanging loose inside the unit. I also have installed 2 childproof latches on the outside of the unit which keep the doors tightly shut while towing.
Which one of these work, my guess is the lower vent restriction and the drain hose issue, as the other items were in use for the other trips.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #222

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Jim can you post a picture of your child proof latches please.

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #223

See post #248 here for pictures, got them on Amazon http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-28.html
Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #224

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Well Jim - I guess we are going to have to try some of your fixes before next summer. All in all we are very pleased with the RMD8555 except while driving in hot temperatures. Don't know yet about cooler temps. How hot was it when you were driving? We tested the frig in our driveway on gas and it worked fine but we are back in Portland and the outside temp never got above 74, mostly in the upper 60's. When we were driving the highs were in the 90's and hot inside the trailer too.
Thanks for all your input.
Kathie

PS Is this the fridge fix you mentioned?
Fridge-Fix | Smart RV Products
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #225
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Kathie

PS Is this the fridge fix you mentioned?
Fridge-Fix | Smart RV Products
Kathie, I have one of those and will be installing in the next couple weeks. Will let you know how well it fits in our 21.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #226

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Kathie, I have one of those and will be installing in the next couple weeks. Will let you know how well it fits in our 21.
Thanks Charlie! Did you also install the Fridge Guard?
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #227

Right now I'm just using the fridge guard, the plastic panels that keep the cold inside when opening the door. I removed the fridge fix off my old Dometic but have not reinstalled to date, just using 2 small battery units.
As fas a temperatures, they were in the 80's, not the 90's, but my temperature did not change one degree after the partial cover of the vent and keeping the drain hose under water.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #228
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Thanks Charlie! Did you also install the Fridge Guard?
Kathie
Nope. Rather not have to futz with that. I am going to insulate the recess in the freezer door first though; less heat getting in there should help with chilling the fridge section as it's downstream of the freezer fin heat exchanger.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #229

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Refrigerator warming up while driving?

Can the Outside Lower Vent Be The Problem

I am wondering if the lower vent that is used by Escape for the refrigerator is the problem. I have been told this is a Norcold vent but can find nothing to identify it as such, short of the number 62053 stamped into the cover. Take a look at my vent opening and cover, if you are having similar issues check if you have the same vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Vent1.jpg   Vent2.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post

I am wondering if the lower vent that is used by Escape for the refrigerator is the problem. I have been told this is a Norcold vent but can find nothing to identify it as such, short of the number 62053 stamped into the cover. Take a look at my vent opening and cover, if you are having similar issues check if you have the same vent.
See post #170 here....I think it is part of the issue and I partially blocked my vent about 50% and it seemed to have worked.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #231

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post

Jim that is the same vent on our 2013 with 4.3 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #232

You may want to install some metal screening to see if that works and then try to partially block some vents with fireproof furnace filter. Trial and error, either way the screening will prevent critters over the winter.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #233

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Here is some data from my RMD 8555, with the upper baffle NOT properly installed. The fridge was set to 5 bars the whole time.

Conclusions:

It is much better than my RML8555.

I cannot remove the freezer and run it as one big fridge, which wasn't too bad with the RML8555.

I am NOT thrilled with the performance, Dometic still needs to make a Tropic or Subtropic rated fridge we can use. It did surprisingly well in really hot weather but did not recover as well as I had hoped in cooler overnight temperatures.

I amazed that Reace got Dometic to agree to swap it out. (KUDOS to Reace.)

I need to pull the fridge and baffle it properly. I will do this in August somewhere outside of Arizona or here in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My freezer has gone below -0- and the refrigerator around 28 while on setting#3 out of 5, normal is about 10 in freezer and 37 in refer on same setting.
After taking the cover off our Escape 21 and dewinterizing it, I began to check all the systems in preparation for our first camping trip. On checking the Dometic RMD8555 fridge/freezer performance with our Acurite twin sensor temperature monitor, I felt that the freezer was not as cold as we had experienced in the past. With our 2 year warranty expiring in a couple of weeks I decided to do some more extensive testing of its performance. Looking on this forum, I saw that JAMMAN’s data showed lower freezer temperatures. (Post #34 this thread) Also CPAHARLEY2008 stated that his freezer temperatures were significantly lower than most of mine. Before declaring that the fridge isn’t performing properly, I would appreciate input from other RMD8555 owners about how my data compares to their temperatures. (Note the switched data columns for freezer temps as a result of Celsius vs Fahrenheit)

Also, what are the Dometic criteria for acceptable performance? I read somewhere that the freezer’s limit was 10 deg F or -12 deg C. If this is true our freezer is averaging temperatures well above this limit. To get close to this limit I have to set the unit to a #5 setting, causing the fridge temperatures to go to freezing. Input please!

Bob K
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Escape Fridge data.pdf (33.1 KB, 22 views)
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #234

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Bob, it's an absorbtion fridge and therefore wonky. We've been all over the board with performance over the last two years(98% on propane), however leaving the thermistor dangling has kept us in the 42 F range mostly (sometimes lower). While the freezer keeps ice cubes frozen as well as meat, it doesn't seem to do a great job with ice cream. Lately have been freezing a cooler pack that we can put in fridge if necessary. So far last three weeks haven't needed it, which isn't surprising this time of year.

I know well the feeling of making sure of stuff before the warranty expires. Have also been guilty of fixing stuff that wasn't broke either. Best of luck with it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #235

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bob, just uncovered mine, I can try it at the different settings but need to know how long you left it at each before taking a reading. I take it you were not moving and the fridge and freezer were empty?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #236

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The readings were taken over periods of at least 3 hours, but many are 5 to 6 hours or even overnight. I took them over 3 days.

JAMMAN PM'd me with a suggestion that made sense to me. The fridge temperatures are all okay unless I set it to #5 and then it goes to freezing, too cold. So, maybe when I use the fridge loaded with food and open it occasionally the freezer will get colder as the refrigeration unit does its thing trying to cool the fridge. I'm still thinking that the freezer was quite a bit colder last season, as I monitored temperatures each time before we put food in it. Unfortunately I didn't record them. It seemed to me that CPAHARLEYH2008's readings were colder as well. I would still be interested in more feedback from other Escapers with RMD8555's.

Thanks,

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #237

I found that using the plastic fridge fix inside the refer really helps with recovery time, that the accurite readings were all over the place as well as where you place the sensor, on the door, top shelf bottom shelf. Finally using the little battery fan inside the unit, with the plastic covers got my RMD to normal, also to prevent blowout while towing installing some filter on the rear outside vent, by passing the stock fans with a manual fan over ride all helped.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The readings were taken over periods of at least 3 hours, but many are 5 to 6 hours or even overnight. I took them over 3 days.

JAMMAN PM'd me with a suggestion that made sense to me. The fridge temperatures are all okay unless I set it to #5 and then it goes to freezing, too cold. So, maybe when I use the fridge loaded with food and open it occasionally the freezer will get colder as the refrigeration unit does its thing trying to cool the fridge. I'm still thinking that the freezer was quite a bit colder last season, as I monitored temperatures each time before we put food in it. Unfortunately I didn't record them. It seemed to me that CPAHARLEYH2008's readings were colder as well. I would still be interested in more feedback from other Escapers with RMD8555's.

Thanks,

Bob K
I'll get back to you in a few days.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #239

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
If there is so much trouble getting the RMD 8555 to cool properly, why is ETI still using it? My trailer was just completed and in the inspection stage and I was told it has the RMD 8555 refrigerator. Has ETI done anything to it to improve the cooling?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #240

I thought they went to an Americana and got away from the RMD 8555.