RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #241

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
That is what Sarah emailed me yesterday, but maybe she was mistaken because she stated it kinda funny, saying that is what they used then....? I'll ask again.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #242

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Bob, don't forget that a piece of foam insulation cut to size fits great in the freezer door. Helps my ice cream anyways...
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #243

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you have the new style door then you should have the new style refrigerator, that is my understanding.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #244

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
That is what Sarah emailed me yesterday, but maybe she was mistaken because she stated it kinda funny, saying that is what they used then....? I'll ask again.
They are not using it any longer.

See post one for the new model numbers. Applys to the 21' also.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...ions-7403.html
Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #245

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Bob, don't forget that a piece of foam insulation cut to size fits great in the freezer door. Helps my ice cream anyways...

That's the first thing I did when I got my Escape and it helps keep the freezer at a lower temperature.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #246

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks for the advice on the foam. After following the temps even longer, the A/C freezer temperatures are getting even lower on average, like -6 - 8 deg C on the #4 setting. Last season the freezer temps were below -12 deg C. I'm guessing that as the weather warms up more (currently 10 - 15 deg C) the fridge/freezer temperatures will change, but not necessarily for the good. Do all these fridges suffer some performance change after a couple of seasons use? I'm inclined to contact ETI for advice. I trust them more than Dometic, but expect that Dometic will be the ones who have to decide if it meets their performance specs. Its why I wanted data from other owners, because if other peoples' fridges are much better it might sway Dometic.

Thanks again,
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #247

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Sarah sent me a new model and I have the DM2663. She miss understood my first question, because had asked her about the stainliess steal refrig.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #248

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I would appreciate input from other RMD8555 owners about how my data compares to their temperatures. (Note the switched data columns for freezer temps as a result of Celsius vs Fahrenheit)
Bob, here's the results for 120vac, unless you need it I'll skip the propane readings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fridge Temps.pdf (29.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 AM   #249

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for doing all that work measuring your fridge/freezer temperatures through various settings. For each Low/High range I took the mean and then averaged these means for the multiple measurements. In comparing yours to mine, it strikes me is that your change in settings effects a far greater change in temperature than with my unit. I was thinking that a dangling thermistor would lower the temperature at all settings, but not make a difference between settings. What do your think about this? One further question. I thought that the RMD8555 wasn't being installed until 2015 and your 5.0TA is a 2012 model. Did it have the RMD or did it have the earlier RML unit? Though if anything the RMD was supposed to be at least as good with its 2 doors.

Finally, I do think my fridge has a problem.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #250

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I would agree that yours seems to have an issue, it really doesn't change temp as you change the setting.

The 14's came with the single door, we all complained enough that ETI somehow got Dometic to agree to replace them under warranty with the 2 door. And yes, the 2 door works better then the 1 door, at least mine does.

I would also agree that the dangling thermistor was done to lower the fridge temp. I can't really comment on whether it does that as I've not traveled in hot weather since I freed it from the fins.

What I did notice on my numbers, was that at setting 4, which is what I always start at, varies a lot more then 3 or 5. A 12 degree swing tells me I can't put much faith in what the thermometer says when I look at it in a single glance.

We carry very little that will spoil if the fridge goes towards the warm side, which we consider up into the high 40's. As long as the freezer keeps things frozen we're good to go. I am going to do the freezer door insulation mod mentioned earlier.

Good luck with yours.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #251

I have no numbers to back it up, but the dangling thermistor on mine seems to help it keep temperature more ... even.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #252

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
The indentation in the freezer door might be there for a reason. Maybe it's to help air circulation around the shelf in the freezer. My freezer has always worked fine, so I don't feel the need to add insulation to the freezer door. YMMV.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #253

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The dangling Thermistor is only thing we've done, which we've done in all previous Dometic fridges and ours has worked fine. One thing I've noticed, is the fridge likes to run and my temps improve on the second and third day out over the first day out. Kinda like my ol VW Beetle, the more you ran it the better it ran.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #254

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
I have no numbers to back it up, but the dangling thermistor on mine seems to help it keep temperature more ... even.
I have had similar experience -- I took the thermistor off the cooling fins, and started having problems with stuff in the fridge freeezing -- even in 85+ temps. So had to back the setting off to 4.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #255

So I went to a foam shop and they suggested a polyethylene foam that is very dense and black in colour. My wife questioned whether this was the right foam to buy. Is it food safe? How does it compare to the styrofoam used in coolers as insulation (R value)?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #256

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
So I went to a foam shop and they suggested a polyethylene foam that is very dense and black in colour. My wife questioned whether this was the right foam to buy. Is it food safe? How does it compare to the styrofoam used in coolers as insulation (R value)?
Seems to me these are the questions the foam shop would be able to answer?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #257

I just bought a sheet of "whatever" foam from Home Hardware. $5. I have some left over if anyone at the rally wants it.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #258

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I thought they went to an Americana and got away from the RMD 8555.
We have the RMD8555 I believe and many of us have found that it works just fine even in very hot weather. Been very happy with it and others have reported the same. Only a couple of folks have had some problem with it. It was previous refrigerators that had all of the problems, not this one. I don't know that there was any switch to the Americana because of this one because it certainly was no real problem as far as what was posted here by many. We and others had made no change or addition to the refrigerator when we gave good reports on it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #259

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... IMHO the switch to the Americana fridge was in conjunction with the new style slab sided trailer with a slightly wider RV door. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #260

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... IMHO the switch to the Americana fridge was in conjunction with the new style slab sided trailer with a slightly wider RV door. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
That is what I was told Alf.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote