RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats - Page 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #161
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Drumstick, if you have air intrusion from the back side of the fridge, your claim is against the installation facility for installing a defective device. As a warranty center they are the licensed Dometic business agent and it should be their responsibility to perform an installation according to the manufacturers specs of a unit that is built and performs to the manufacturers specification, which states that the combustion chamber of the fridge must be fully sealed to prevent combustion gases entering the RV/trailer. Read the installation manual and use that as a claim against the warranty center performance.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #162

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA (Completion Date: August 2017)
Charlie, the warranty center is here in Louisiana but they did not perform the installation nor have they uninstalled and reinstalled the fridge. It was installed by Escape during the build and picked up on 5/27/2015. The warranty center agrees that there is an enormous amount of air intrusion and leakage and they are simply working directly with Dometic on troubleshooting/resolution. Dometic's resolution recommendation thus far is installing a new sensor for the exterior fan and new door gaskets. Nothing thus far has been recommended to stop the intrusion of air into the fridge from the backside, which to me seems to be the initial problem.

I guess I am not sure as to whether the problem is the actual installation or a faulty fridge that was not properly sealed at the manufacturer. It just doesn't make sense that air would be allowed to flow through the brown foam insulation into the fridge itself. Seems like it should be pretty airtight at that location.

Thanks,
Mark

Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #163
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The RV Fridge Guard may help with the escaping cold air and in order for the air to escape. is it around your door gaskets? I notice there is a lot of "cushion play" and I installed child locks to hold the door in tight while in transit. Also seal the door bottom hole and do not travel with the MaxxFan open. There is also the possibility of air intrusion via the drain hose, either put water in the cup or add hose to form a loop. One other item, do not use "auto" but use the manual controls on the refer.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #164

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA (Completion Date: August 2017)
Jim, we did notice a little "cushion play" but really didn't feel air leaking around the gaskets. Initially the air was escaping through the latch area and under the door skin and causing serious dripping condensation. After making sure the door bottom hole was plugged and also filling the slot in the door with foam weatherstripping and aluminum tape, the air leakage seemed to move to the upper hinge area. We did add water to the cup to prevent air instrusion through the drain hose. Also per Reace's instruction, we removed the aluminum cooling fins in both the fridge and freezer and filled the hole where the thermistor wire runs into the fridge with Butyl Putty Tape. This is when we noticed the enormous amount of air passing through certain areas of the foam behind the cooling fins. It would almost blow out the candle in two or three spots.

Also, we do not travel with the MaxxFan open and have tried both "Auto" and "Manual" with the same result. In our opinion the cooling unit works great and we just need to stop the air intrusion and leakage. Early on in our testing, we moved the thermistor and were able to maintain 27 to 33 degrees Fahrenheit for many days in hot\humid Louisiana summer weather with the trailer sitting in direct sunlight, as long as the MaxxFan was off. We are hopeful.....

Thanks,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #165

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks for posting where the leaks are

Mark,

Thanks much for posting where the leaks in your fridge are. I was wondering that.

Our performance over the summer has been ok (but not great) as long as we keep the fridge on 5 bars. I am anxious for the Mississippi River Rendezvous coming up in a couple of weeks so that we can try the fridge out with more reasonable temperatures.

I hope your dometic tech is able to solve the problem.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #166
Site Team

Summary of my recent trip to Niagara with the new RMD and fridge guard installed. Going down the temperature creeped up to 43. Once there, with daily use, on #3, it stayed 37/10. I showed the trailer at least a dozen times and each one involved opening the unit, the Fridge Guard works.......it never rose more than one degree with daily use and showings. Coming home, I removed the drain hose I had inserted into the hole in the refer compartment and reinstalled it back into the factory default location. I was thinking that there was warm air escaping due to that hose being exposed to wind. I also "borrowed" some furnace material from Jon, thanks again Jon, and cut 3 thin pieces and installed on my exterior vent. Which one worked I do not know, but the temperature did not rise one degree while in transit. I'm a happy camper now. But off to the tire store for 2 new tires tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #167

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Summary of my recent trip to Niagara with the new RMD and fridge guard installed. Going down the temperature creeped up to 43. Once there, with daily use, on #3, it stayed 37/10. I showed the trailer at least a dozen times and each one involved opening the unit, the Fridge Guard works.......it never rose more than one degree with daily use and showings. Coming home, I removed the drain hose I had inserted into the hole in the refer compartment and reinstalled it back into the factory default location. I was thinking that there was warm air escaping due to that hose being exposed to wind. I also "borrowed" some furnace material from Jon, thanks again Jon, and cut 3 thin pieces and installed on my exterior vent. Which one worked I do not know, but the temperature did not rise one degree while in transit. I'm a happy camper now. But off to the tire store for 2 new tires tomorrow.
Jim, how many miles do you have on those tires? I am surprised you need tires so soon. I assume you are talking about trailer tires.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #168

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Please provide further information on the furnace material you added.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #169
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Jim, how many miles do you have on those tires? I am surprised you need tires so soon. I assume you are talking about trailer tires.
I should have said I picked up a bolt and my curb side front tire went flat while towing. I did not notice it until I stopped for gas. I had to put the spare on (should have ordered 5 chrome wheels...) and continued on to rally. Going to get 2 new front axle tires to so that they match on same axle. I have around 18,000 miles on tires. Plenty of tread, just road hazard issue.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #170
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Please provide further information on the furnace material you added.
Here are some pictures taken... the thing hanging is a small bungee I use to secure the cover inside. I had previously installed some metal screening for bugs and placed this material behind the screening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2214.jpg (290.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2213.jpg (322.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2212.jpg (373.5 KB, 18 views)