RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #141

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Did anyone at any time actually claim or promise that the RMD frig was better before the change out ?
No, they stated they didn't know if it would be better or not.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #142

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I switched to battery power when traveling in August partly to test my new solar power configuration (now at 355W) and partly just to experiment. Note, however, that even with seven days straight on propane in Nevada the fridge still got too warm at times.

Both Berlin-Ichthyosaur SP and Great Basin NP are at high altitude. I wonder if the 7800-foot altitude at my campsite at Great Basin affected the fridge's performance? Great Basin NP has a higher campground at 9900 feet, which I decided not to try. When it filled up later in the week I asked the ranger if he wasn't concerned that the campers would use up all of the air.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #143

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
FYI - Reace (ETI) thinks the RMD is fine. He wrote:
"With regards to the RMD, you are the first to say you aren't happy with it. I am hearing nothing but positive and satisfied users with the new fridge."
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #144

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of these numbers reflect one thing in my mind, the freezer performs as expected, it keeps things below freezing, the refrigerator is the weak spot. Whether it is from being opened too much or loaded incorrect or not properly closed are all reasons the numbers vacillate. I think everyone should create a baseline, plug in your unit on 120v, and take measurements. This then can tell you whether it is operating correctly. I'm hoping the fridge guard will help also.
As far as the high limit thermistor, I think there maybe a bypass as my fans came on, automatically when I switched to propane, but not while on 120v? I will test this result again or maybe someone else can duplicate it. I have my fans on a switch for manual override if needed.
But looking the the freezer's numbers seems like the cooling capacity is there, it is just not in the refer, so I let my interior thermistor hang loose and will try to find it's sweet spot.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #145

That's the same thing I noticed with the single door, freezer was fine, fridge was not.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #146

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: cpaharley2008... If you show me yours...I'll show you mine. Our RML8555 single door is working spot on!!! My Dr. says I'm supposed to stay out of it anyway. Heading up north for a few days R&R. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040166.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #147
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Our RML8555 single door is working spot on!!!
I'm with Alf. I'm going to do everything I can to keep the single door frig. I like it better than the double-door. I find not over packing (like Alf ) keeping that top shelf empty and two battery operated cube fans running inside really, really helps.

Fingers crossed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #148

Alf,
Did you move your thermistor down to where it is in the photo? It appears mounted on the drain shelf?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #149

Turned my unit on this morning at 9am, 2 hours later it is 40/11. Outside is cloudy and 68 degrees, setting is on #3. Amazing how well it works once the temperature gets below 90 degrees.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #150

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Alf,
Did you move your thermistor down to where it is in the photo? It appears mounted on the drain shelf?
Hi: cpaharley2008... I moved it down off the metal fins but it's just wedged into the space, not permanently at this point. Seems to work much better there. Check it out at Niagara Wine Escape on the weekend. I got the coffee ground to your specs. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #151

Yes, I'm cooling down my unit now in preparation for the trip later this week, going to store tomorrow for scrapple and your Yuengling
Old 09-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #152

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The two-door cools down much quicker than the old one and we had the 5.0 that didn't have as many problem reports. Have not been in enough hot weather to test that but this two-door, according to specs I saw, is supposed to work to 89.6 F or 32 C. After that, it wil be like the others, I guess.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #153

8 hrs on the road yesterday, mid 70's, overcast. Fridge on propane, went up to 48 on 5 bars.

Today 8 hrs on the road, mid 70's, sunny on the fridge
side. Fridge on battery, went up to 40 on 4 bars.

Wonder if the propane is blowing out like Alf mentioned.

Batteries show -15 amp for the day, on the road at 7am. Pretty good.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #154

I may try battery next trip I believe my propane blew out last trip.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #155

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
When I returned from picking up in Chilliwack, and the rally in Osoyoos the next 3 days, I stopped in Huntsville, AL, to visit the son and his family. The 10 hour trip home to Florida was in 90 degree plus temps running on 12v with solar. When we arrived home, the refrigerator was at 35. Coming across South Dakota in June, running on propane all day, it was 34 when we stopped. However, outside ambient temperatures were in the mid 70s. But I've had no problem maintaining 35/36 degrees.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #156

That differs from my experiences, same trailer, same fridge. Maybe eti changed something with the baffles or some such, all I know for sure is the temps rise when I travel. Recovery is much better with the rmd though. If I see a hardware store I'll try a filter like Alf and attempt the propane again.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #157

please post some pictures Bob for others, thanx
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #158

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That differs from my experiences, same trailer, same fridge. Maybe eti changed something with the baffles or some such
It really baffles me, Bob, because the individual who picked up his 5.0TA 2 hours after me has had problems maintaining low temperatures. He is from Louisiana and spoke with me when he was crossing Nebraska where he first encountered the problem. He was at the rally and had no problems in Osoyoos. Since then he has had a similar experience to you (temps in the mid to upper 40s). But his trailer sat around ETI for a while before pickup. Mine was finished a day or two before pickup on May 27. Maybe ETI did make some kind of change. I don't remotely monitor the refrigerator like some people do, but as soon as I stop and plug in, my wife changes it over from 12v or propane to AC, and she checks the temperature in both the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Why I haven't had problems when others have has me wondering if Dometic has a quality control problem and some units are built better than others.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #159

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
I wonder about that too as we had no problems with the single door fridge we had in the 21' we just sold! We had no problems in Osoyoos, nor at Kokanee Creek PP when we camped in 95* heat in July.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #160

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
NOT Satisfied In Louisiana

I am the guy from Louisiana and we are definitely NOT satisfied with our RMD8555. In fact, we just picked it up yesterday from a local Dometic Warranty Center where it has been for approximately one month. The Dometic Warranty Center is still waiting on parts (door gaskets & fan sensor) which now aren't scheduled to arrive until sometime in October. I guess we would be OK with the lengthy wait if we had confidence that what Dometic recommended to fix our fridge would actually work!

OUR JOURNEY
Our fridge and freezer worked well at the Rally, in Jasper National Park, in Glacier National Park, in Yellowstone National Park, etc. We were happy! That changed in Nebraska and we have had a problem since then with the inability to maintain a cold temperature in certain situations. Extensive testing began immediately after arriving home from the pickup in Chilliwack!

COOLING UNIT
The cooling unit on our RMD8555 has proven the ability to cool, even in high temperatures and high humidity in Louisiana and Florida. It works great on electricity. It works great on propane. It has even shown the ability on a few occasions to reduce the temperature when running on battery!

AIR INTRUSION & LEAKAGE
The problem with our RMD8555 is that it leaks a tremendous amount of hot air into the fridge from the backside and leaks an equally tremendous amount of cold air out the door! The cooling unit simply cannot compete with the amount of air intrusion and leakage! This occurs when running the MaxxFan in exhaust mode and we believe this same leakage is taking place when traveling. You can actually feel the cold air escaping. In our tests, we have watched the remote thermometer rapidly climb from the low 30s Fahrenheit to the upper 50s in short order with the MaxxFan in exhaust mode. We have seen this same behavior when traveling. We have even seen this rapid temperature climb with 3 or 4 windows open and the MaxxFan in exhaust mode - a typical boondocking scenario for us.

MORE ON THE AIR LEAKAGE
Early testing after talking with Reace showed several spots behind the aluminum cooling fins inside the fridge that would almost blow a candle out with the amount of air intrusion! This can't be right! Should the fridge allow air through the foam insulation? We did not see that issue in the freezer. We even sealed the slot and latch area underneath the doorskin which helped with condensation but it just moved the cold area leakage to another spot on the door. Nothing we tried has stopped the air intrusion and leakage!

Is anyone else experiencing the air intrusion and leakage? Is it possible that some RMD8555s weren't properly sealed on the backside at the Dometic factory?

We really love our trailer and are hoping we can get the fridge air intrusion/leakage issue resolved on our RMD8555 as it has proven it's ability to cool in high temperatures and high humidity!

Thanks,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote