RML8555 Replacement by Dometic - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #201

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailseeker View Post
We tried it both standalone and vehicle connected and running. Tried button combinations and holding battery selector button for 3 seconds, etc. I checked the tow plug and it has the correct pin with 12v aux/charging voltage.
I wish I could be of further help, unfortunately have a 4.3 fridge. The junction block or buss on the 4.3 has wires on both sides of each terminal connection and I think that yours should also. Request a 6.7 owner to check the B+ connection their buss/junction block
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #202

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I don't seem to get the AC working unless I turn off the propane at the tanks first- same thing for the old fridge too. The alarm sounds and the caution icon is blinking. Turn it off & it works. Might try that for the DC.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #203

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Hey guys,

Am I missing something on the fan settings. We had our frig put in by ETI last week. The temperatures in Portland the last few days have been a rare 100 to 101 degrees. The frig has maintained between 38 and 40 on AC set at 4 bars. Should we worry about the fans?

Thanks,
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #204

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure, do you know what your thermostat reading is and can you hear any fans running in the rear refer compartment? Are you empty? I can maintain 38 on 4 bars but I would like to see the fans come on and maybe make that 3 bars instead. There are 2 fans on the rear.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #205
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Hey guys,

Am I missing something on the fan settings. We had our frig put in by ETI last week. The temperatures in Portland the last few days have been a rare 100 to 101 degrees. The frig has maintained between 38 and 40 on AC set at 4 bars. Should we worry about the fans?

Thanks,
Kathie
Kathie, mine went in yesterday. Hillsboro was 104 today, trailer in full sun closed up and at least that hot inside. Dunno about any fans as I didn't hear any, but it's running 19/37F at 4 PM on AC, switched over to LP and will see where it's at in the morning before I bring it home from the shop.

Personally I would rather not need any fans; one less mechanical device to make noise and depend on.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 PM   #206

Charlie, what setting are you using #5 on thermostat?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #207
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Charlie, what setting are you using #5 on thermostat?
Yup, running 5 on the prove-out tests before I accept their work; it's still at the shop.

I won't accept it until it's run 24 hours on AC (good so far) and 24 hours on LP. Also confirming all the controls work - it did switch over to LP by itself when I pulled the AC cord.

I wanted it tested when the cabin was unbearably hot as the door is the greatest heat loser; temp sensors were up against both doors.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #208

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We are happy with the frig so far. The only glitch we had was on the way home from Chiliwack. We had the frig on AC all night, ran it on LP on the way home. Checked the sensor, all good. After lunch, almost home, when I checked the temperature reading had jumped up and by the time we were home it was 53! We unhitched and got out the manual. Under trouble shooting there was a suggestion that if there is an air bubble in the line you might have to restart it 3 or 4 times. Reace had done a complete check of all our gas lines so that may have been it. After one restart it's been fine. Actually we have been pretty impressed at the temps it is maintaining in this heat (don't hear any fans running). Jim, We do have a few things in it for test purposes only (beer)
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #209
Commercial Member

Report on Camping World service center at Hillsboro, Oregon - about 30 miles west of Portland. Did a nice job on the changeout, 24 hr proveout on electric and 24 hr on propane. They were concerned they could not force the fans to blow without using a heatgun on the switch/sensor. When I explained the issue with the 150F switch installed, they were relieved not to have to pull the fridge out again. Temps were good with the switch jumpered on a 104F day with the trailer closed up (probably as hot inside.) So they installed a manual fan switch at no charge for now - until I can get the proper range sensor installed. Great folks, I've used them before. Total charge for all the work, including modifying the baffle for the larger cooling unit, was $129.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #210

Wow, great deal, mine was almost double that w/o the switch. But I had them add insulation around the sides and top ( I assume they did this, I'll never know) but my baffle had to be modified also.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #211
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, great deal, mine was almost double that w/o the switch. But I had them add insulation around the sides and top ( I assume they did this, I'll never know) but my baffle had to be modified also.
I told the shop foreman I wanted it installed exactly in accordance with Dometic installation specifications (I provided one downloaded from the website as Dometic failed to include it with the new fridge manuals.) So far, so good............

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #212

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Charlie,
I do not find an installation manual for the RMD 8555 on the Dometic web site. There are installation manuals for the 8 Series but the list of supported models in the .PDF file does not include the RMD, only the RML model.

Is this what you provide the installer?
8 - Series Installation
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #213
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Charlie,
I do not find an installation manual for the RMD 8555 on the Dometic web site. There are installation manuals for the 8 Series but the list of supported models in the .PDF file does not include the RMD, only the RML model.

Is this what you provide the installer?
8 - Series Installation
Nope, I do recall it was a bear to find, though. The PDF is too big to upload to this forum, but if you send me your email I can email it to you.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #214

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
are you able to post a link to the pdf?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #215
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
are you able to post a link to the pdf?
Took a while to remember how I found it....

First give up on the Dometic USA page and go to the Australia page; after discovering the last digit in RMD8555 refers to the body depth, I found that model was included on the 8-Series units sold in Australia. So both operating and installation manual download links are halfway down this page:

RMD 8551LH - Dometic Corp

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #216

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
My new refer is in at General RV in North Canton. I am scheduled to bring it in on the 31st for the swap. So far I have heard the following may be issues to bring to the attention of the the tech doing the install;
  • Baffles may need to be cut down.
  • Opening may need to be opened up slightly to get refer in place
  • Insulation may or should be added between refer and cavity
  • Drain may need to be looped to prevent warm air intrusion
  • Wiring needs to be a certain way to get correct sequence of power source - 12 volt not automatic default

Anything else?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #217

Thanks for posting the link to the only known installation manual for the RMD8555. I took a look at the installers instructions and it appears they are using something called a Flue Kit 3776. It is not clear from the directions if that is included, an option or an Australian only product. I am thinking the latter. I recollect another thread discussing a part similar, one that was only available in Australia.

I was surprised there was not a discussion or diagram of the baffles and sealants that seem to be discussed here during the conversion of a RML to a RMD. The only mention of this is: "The refrigerator must be installed draughtproof in a recess."

After looking over both manuals linked above I would not recommend the Australian version. The US version spends more time on baffle installation, proper sealants to use and the use of sealing strips to make the install draughtproof. Unfortunately, there is no mention of the two fans on the RMD model and how that affects the installation.

Does anyone who had the installation completed have the installation instructions or anyone with a source for such manual? My concern is that there have been some references to the replacement refrigerator arriving sans instructions.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #218

Carl,
Add, the issues with the fans not turning on below 150 degrees. And a shortage of installer instructions with the new unit.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #219
Commercial Member

Carl, the shop can jumper the thermal switch to insure the fans do work, otherwise they'll waste labor time ($) trying to troubleshoot the fan issue.

In my 21 they trimmed back the upper baffle as the cooling unit on the back of the fridge is deeper. Height is the same as the old one and width is 1/16th inch less, so no cabinet work was needed.

I did not have them add any extra insulation at all. If I have issues down the road I can add that, but as it was working well at over 100F in the trailer parked in full sun (105F outside) for over 24 hours on both propane and electric I had them go ahead and foam it in place.

My cost was $129 USD, and they threw in a manual switch for the fans to bypass the thermal sensor for now.

ETI doesn't run the ignition wire that controls the 12V/LP cycling, so there aren't any extra wires there to confuse them.

There were no install instructions with the fridge, either.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-15-2015, 01:37 AM   #220

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
First give up on the Dometic USA page and go to the Australia page; after discovering the last digit in RMD8555 refers to the body depth, I found that model was included on the 8-Series units sold in Australia...
I found an installation manual for the refrigerator that is in my motorhome, which is also an 8xxx series - and double doors - but it does not cover any version of the 8555... and there are substantial differences. Dometic has a very wide range of models, and it seems almost random which ones they offer here, which ones are listed on any given Dometic website, and for which ones support documentation is offered. Even worse, what's offered, what's listed, and what's documented seem unrelated to each other..

I wonder if they realize how much of a mess they have online? I suspect that they don't care, since their sales are almost entirely to businesses which can make individual deals for availability, and the right manual comes with each unit actually shipped.

... then there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
There were no install instructions with the fridge, either.
That's strange. Every appliance I've ever seen comes with a manual, and the ones which need installation have an installation manual. I have a large stack of documentation from three RVs... even multiple copies in some cases (one trailer has two furnaces - so two copies - and each time something is replaced that's another copy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote