RML8555 Replacement by Dometic - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #111
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f38/rml8555-replacement-by-dometic-5509-12.html#pos

Mine is in the shop for replacement and they called today, the new unit will not fit unless the cut into the ETI baffle. I immediately went down there and we all discussed the options. The factory baffle will be cut off at the bottom approximately 2" to allow the taller rear of the replacement. I also noted there was was reflectix on my exterior wall but nothing around the 2 interior sides. The shop agreed to install some foam around the perimeter sides as well as the top and estimated about 1-2 extra hours over the prepaid 1 hour by Dometic. I told them to go ahead as I'll pay for the extra time if they did a good job, which they assured me they will. The rear of the old unit had -0- fans, the new unit has one lower and one upper fan with the wiring accessible from the lower rear vent if I need to turn them on manually.
First pix is old unit, the other 2 are the new unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2150.jpg (239.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2151.jpg (133.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2152.jpg (136.5 KB, 67 views)

Old 07-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #112

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I got an email from General RV in North Canton, Ohio. Dometic has approved the replacement and new Frig is on order.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #113

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mine is in the shop for replacement and they called today, the new unit will not fit unless the cut into the ETI baffle. I immediately went down there and we all discussed the options. The factory baffle will be cut off at the bottom approximately 2" to allow the taller rear of the replacement. I also noted there was was reflectix on my exterior wall but nothing around the 2 interior sides. The shop agreed to install some foam around the perimeter sides as well as the top and estimated about 1-2 extra hours over the prepaid 1 hour by Dometic. I told them to go ahead as I'll pay for the extra time if they did a good job, which they assured me they will. The rear of the old unit had -0- fans, the new unit has one lower and one upper fan with the wiring accessible from the lower rear vent if I need to turn them on manually.
When you add insulation on the sides and top is the goal to insulate from the trailer interior? Do you seal the perimeter in the back to keep heat from the back area out? I should be having our 21 done soon since they have ordered the unit.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #114

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Do you seal the perimeter in the back to keep heat from the back area out? .
This is a requirement. You have an open flame, albeit very small, venting into the rear cavity. The perimeter must be sealed to prevent the byproducts of combustion from reaching the interior.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #115
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Hmmm, wouldn't it make more sense if Dometic brought the burner exhaust up past the freezer coils??

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #116
Site Team

There is a rubber flap around the perimeter of the opening, similar to those on garage door vertical openings that seals once the unit is slipped inside. As far as the burner locale, I'm not sure, this whole absorption thing is interesting. The coils on the top are totally different than the lower ones, perhaps it is the lower ones that need to be kept cool while the upper ones retain the heat, thereby creating the temperature differential that causes the liquid to flow?? If the bottom and top were same temperature then the liquid would not cool.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #117

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
This would provide more meaningful information if posted on the RML8555 thread. No such accommodation for those of us with the RM8551 4.3 refer.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #118

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jim, when I talked with Reace, I'm pretty sure he said they remove the rear seal (at the top, I believe) and raise it a couple of inches. Yours is the second reference I've read about cutting the seal in place. I wish ETI would publish some sort of installation procedure for retrofitting these things. Maybe it's obvious what needs to be done, but I bet we'll see several versions of this process as time goes on.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #119
Site Team

Yes, each rv repair shop may do it differently. They had a Shasta trailer in their with same issue, different refer but not cooling. They pulled the unit and found that there was no insulation and the chimney was installed backwards??
Old 07-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #120

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
As for tracking the several RV and Marine forums where their products are discussed, they'd be crazy not to track every word written (great job for an intern).
Last year, when they replaced the cooling unit in our 6.7, the Dometic rep in charge of warranty service very indignantly told me that they don't have time to read forums, that people on forums don't know what they're talking about, etc. Maybe someone there reads our threads, but I wouldn't put too much faith in that notion. When these fridges end up in RV service centers requesting warranty repair, it's a bit more difficult to ignore.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote