Roof mount or portable solar - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Mike, are your batteries under the dinette or on the tongue?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
With a Go Power kit u get several adapters: battery clips, Zamp connector etc. The 7 pin is optional and costs about $40. After talking with Escape we decided the 7 pin was the best way on a 19 as the wiring is heavier than one gets with the Zamp solar plug (although certainly a viable option) and it is a "port" that already exists-one less hole in the fiberglass.
The only problem with this method and it might work ok is that, the charge controller (according to handyman Bob) should be located as close as possible to the battery (Like Myron did). A voltage drop (although never good) is not AS critical from the panel to the controller as it is from the controller to the battery.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Worked just fine whether I was using the panel next to the Hitch which meant the run was very short or I was using my long 30 ft extension cord. If the sun was decent, usually charged my battery-I have a single 29 size 12 volt - in under two hours. Worked great when I spent nearly two weeks at Denali NP. Rarely needed to use my Honda Handi 3000 I had as back up.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Mike, are your batteries under the dinette or on the tongue?
My batteries are under the dinette, at the rear of the trailer.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #45

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have my controller mounted next to the batteries under the dinette. Ran a set of 8awg leads from the controller to the optional passenger side access hatch with MC4 connectors on them. I plug in my portable panels extension cable to them when needed and just leave the access door open a bit. If the portable was the only panel I had I'd use a dedicated hatch for it in the same area, or maybe even going out the back of the trailer. For my limited need, but this works for me.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Placing an order for a 21' on Friday or Monday after viewing a 21 this weekend a the N.C. Outer Banks rally. I want ETI to prewire for rooftop and portable solar as well. How do they terminate the access points? Weather proof plug, or for the roof prewire are they left at a documented spot in the ceiling? Also should I have them install the charge controller near the batteries (batteries in dinette area I think} I believe portable have a controller included in package. New to RVs so any help would be appreciated.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Placing an order for a 21' on Friday or Monday after viewing a 21 this weekend a the N.C. Outer Banks rally. I want ETI to prewire for rooftop and portable solar as well. How do they terminate the access points? Weather proof plug, or for the roof prewire are they left at a documented spot in the ceiling? Also should I have them install the charge controller near the batteries (batteries in dinette area I think} I believe portable have a controller included in package. New to RVs so any help would be appreciated.
This was answered when you asked it in this other thread:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f32/placed-our-deposit-11340-4.html#post218539

In any case, I would call ETI and ask. Make sure you understand EXACTLY what they are going to do. As you would expect there have been misunderstandings/miscommunication and people have been surprised. Don't let that happen to you.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Oops...
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #49
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I had both on my 17 (a 100 watt & 95 watt panel on the roof & a portable 160 watt panel carried in the RAV4 or truck. I needed all three for winter camping at Quartzsite, AZ.

While I'm still carrying the portable, I hope the 2 160 watt panels on my 21 will do the trick. At Quartzsite, it isn't a shade problem; it is the low angle winter sun.
Hi Jon
Funny you should say that, last year @ Quarts I could not use up all the juice my 160 watt roof panel produced. I will admit the angle on the back side of a 5.0 TA helps with the low angle and I was able to park with the nose of the trailer facing north. Hum I think you are going to have plenty of juice with 320w.
Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Jon
Funny you should say that, last year @ Quarts I could not use up all the juice my 160 watt roof panel produced. I will admit the angle on the back side of a 5.0 TA helps with the low angle and I was able to park with the nose of the trailer facing north. Hum I think you are going to have plenty of juice with 320w.
Tin.
Hey Tin,
Jon is a heavy user of AH. He probably consumes about 3-4 times what I use with a family of 4. While I agree his addl roof panel will go a long way on helping him this year, my money is on that he'll still need the external as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #51
Tin

Lol, Oh I did not know that! in that case I will park next to jon and run a cord over to his trailer.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just have to be careful, cause he has more meters and tracking devices than the power company. He'll probably see your power spike the minute you plug your cord in.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #53
Tin

Yikes, sorry Jon no cord for you!