Roof top AC water run off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Roof top AC water run off

We just got back from a lovely trip to the California Coastal Redwoods this past week and the weather was surprisingly warm. So we decided to use our AC for the very first time....just a couple hours each day. Worked great. We've never had AC on our previous trailers before so this was a real treat. It was a little on the noisy side.... but oh, so worth it!

We scratched our heads, however, while we were hooking up to leave. We walked around the trailer and then noticed after raising the front to hitch up, the back right half of the trailer got covered in water. We were quite puzzled - where did that come from? It didn't rain?? There was a 'full timer' that was washing his trailer in a near by site the day before, but we seriously doubted he was the culprit. Then on the way home, it hit us. The AC! The water had to be from the condensation from the AC...right?? But we just had to be sure...it was really bugging us.

Once home, I looked through the official AC owners manual - nothing in there about AC water run off. I looked through the Escape owners manual - nothing in there about AC water run off. I checked on this forum and put in every combination of AC words I could think of and couldn't find a thread about this. (It's probably here, I'm just bad at finding them.) Then I Googled and found several other RV forums that talked about the frustrations of roof top AC water run off on top of their big huge RV's. Ah ha! Maybe that's it?!

Finally, a quick call to the good people at Escape today confirmed our suspicions. So for all you other RV newbies out there, or those of us who are newbies to AC units, let the record show, it is totally normal for the condensation to spill onto the roof from our AC units! Whoda thunk? I had previously thought (not sure why) that all the water would be channeled to under the trailer. Now we know!

Learn something new every trip!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just wait until you use your awning in the rain and it decides to dump some water on you.....
your trailer must have been perfectly level as we normally have condensation running off the sides or front or back.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Not only AC condensation, but a surprising amount of rain water can sit on the roof of a level 21. If you lower the tongue hooking up after a rain be prepared to duck! It also collects "crud" in the pooled water.

If I was going to redesign the molds for the 21, I'd build a bit of slope to the rear into the roof to let it run off.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Bea

Thank you Jim and Jon for the heads up about the rain water pooling, as well. Hadn't thought of that... Will add 'duck' to the hitch up process. So far after 9 campgrounds and 27 nights in our 3 month old trailer, it has only rained on us once - our very first night at Lynden, and that was a heavy sprinkle, at best. Appreciate the tip!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thank you Jim and Jon for the heads up about the rain water pooling, as well. Hadn't thought of that... Will add 'duck' to the hitch up process. So far after 9 campgrounds and 27 nights in our 3 month old trailer, it has only rained on us once - our very first night at Lynden, and that was a heavy sprinkle, at best. Appreciate the tip!
Unlike us, on our return trip of 23 days, we had rain at least 12 days. It really didn't spoil the fun much, well, maybe on the 4th day as it was raining very heavy while we were hitching up. We stopped to wash the trailer in Kalispell MT, got it all cleaned up but by the time we got out of town it was raining again.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
All air conditioners produce condensation. It can be drained through a hose to discharge below the trailer, but I don't like the idea of it being plumbed through the interior, so I'm fine with it running off of the roof, even though it can be annoying if it comes off in an inopportune place.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Had the same experience Bea. Early this summer, we used our A/C for the first time and I was taken aback when I exited the trailer and saw a pool of water on the ground, in the front by the bathroom (tells you which way we were sloped). Of course I thought the worst but then, sanity took over and I realized it must be from the A/C (fingers crossed). It's the 'first time' that's the most unnerving. So, far, we've used everything but the inverter and the water pump and, after reading some of the posts, I realize we need to bite the bullet and try them out.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #8
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Had the same experience Bea. Early this summer, we used our A/C for the first time and I was taken aback when I exited the trailer and saw a pool of water on the ground, in the front by the bathroom (tells you which way we were sloped). Of course I thought the worst but then, sanity took over and I realized it must be from the A/C (fingers crossed). It's the 'first time' that's the most unnerving. So, far, we've used everything but the inverter and the water pump and, after reading some of the posts, I realize we need to bite the bullet and try them out.
Hi Jan, thanks for sharing! We need to bite the bullet and try using a couple more items ourselves: our quick connect propane for BBQ/fire pit and our inverter, too! We've been gorging ourselves with hook-ups after hook-ups - oh, the life! I feel spoiled....but I'm not complaining. Here's to taking those next steps!

And Brian, we concur - roof water run off is Ok with us, too. Would rather have that little inconvenience than a tube down the trailer - that could get clogged, as well. So enjoy learning from you and everyone on this forum!!!!